Pain where ovary used to be

Options
jbeans888
jbeans888 Member Posts: 313
I had a full hysterectomy and I have been off chemo since June 28th and my last scan in July said I was NED. I had my CA-125 done about a week ago and it was 11, but the next day after that I started getting a pain where my left ovary used to be. Both my gyn/onc and hematologist said they dont want to do a scan until I am symptomatic, which I think is retarded since ovarian cancer is called the silent killer! But I am so hesitant to call and make an appointment to tell them because I don't want to come off as paranoid or maybe its just that I don't want anymore crappy news because I like feeling NED. I am hoping that it is just adhesions or ghost pain or something like that. Has anyone else had this happen to them and it was nothing? Is this a sign of a recurrence? I know I have to call but I don't want to. Also with the vitamin c treatments can you just take vitamin c vitamins or does it have to be via an iv? Just curious about that too. Thanks ladies.

Comments

• sarahb74
    sarahb74 Member Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I used to get lots of pain
    when I was in remission. Really more sharp twinges than pain. I'd tell my oncologists and they'd look vaguely interested but didn't say anything. My oncs waited until I was synptomatic before starting treatment again. There was a large study in the UK which showed it doesn't make any difference to the eventual outcome if you treat immediately or wait for symptoms to show
  • Tethys41
    Tethys41 Member Posts: 1,382 Member
    Options
    Pain
    I had a lot of pain off and on a few months after finishing chemo, in my lower left quadrant. It wasn't due to removal of my ovary, because my left ovary was removed years ago (now wish I'd had both removed). I think the pain was more related to my ascending colon and was maybe due to adhesions, although the pain stopped. I occasionally get a pain in that area still, but it is not a consistant as it was back then.
    IV vitamin C consists of much larger doses than you could take orally. Each IV contains anywhere from 50 to 75 grams of vitamin C. If you took that much orally, your gut would rebel. I do take oral vitamin C between IVs in liposomal or liposhereic form. This has a gel-like consistancy, and doesn't taste very good, but is more easily absorbed by the body. On those days, I take 1,000mg.
    Hope the pain turns out to be nothing.
  • lindaprocopio
    lindaprocopio Member Posts: 1,980
    Options
    Tethys41 said:

Pain
    I had a lot of pain off and on a few months after finishing chemo, in my lower left quadrant. It wasn't due to removal of my ovary, because my left ovary was removed years ago (now wish I'd had both removed). I think the pain was more related to my ascending colon and was maybe due to adhesions, although the pain stopped. I occasionally get a pain in that area still, but it is not a consistant as it was back then.
    IV vitamin C consists of much larger doses than you could take orally. Each IV contains anywhere from 50 to 75 grams of vitamin C. If you took that much orally, your gut would rebel. I do take oral vitamin C between IVs in liposomal or liposhereic form. This has a gel-like consistancy, and doesn't taste very good, but is more easily absorbed by the body. On those days, I take 1,000mg.
    Hope the pain turns out to be nothing.

If the pain moves around, it's probably not a worry.
    My oncologist said to let him know if I had a pain that stayed in the same spot for more than 2 weeks. With each new twinge, I'd check the calendar. None of them ever lasted more than 2 weeks. I'm 3 years into this. I hope that gives you some reassurance.
  • Susan53
    Susan53 Member Posts: 178
    Options

My oncologist said to let him know if I had a pain that stayed in the same spot for more than 2 weeks. With each new twinge, I'd check the calendar. None of them ever lasted more than 2 weeks. I'm 3 years into this. I hope that gives you some reassurance.

Smile
    Linda you have such a beautiful smile. The green that you are wearing really compliments your coloring. Hugs Sharon
  • Susan53
    Susan53 Member Posts: 178
    Options

Smile
    Linda you have such a beautiful smile. The green that you are wearing really compliments your coloring. Hugs Sharon
  • Bluebird Bush
    Bluebird Bush Member Posts: 28
    Options
    Your post on Oct. 2 re pain
    If pain is not a symptom what does the doctor mean by wait until you are symptomatic? What would being symptomatic consist of?

Also, would someone tell me how to "friend". I am not real computer literate. Thank you - Geni
  • carolenk
    carolenk Member Posts: 907 Member
    Options

Your post on Oct. 2 re pain
    If pain is not a symptom what does the doctor mean by wait until you are symptomatic? What would being symptomatic consist of?

Also, would someone tell me how to "friend". I am not real computer literate. Thank you - Geni

How to "friend" someone
    Bluebird

Click on the little icon that is after the person's screen name--after that, it is self-explanatory.

JB

See if the pain is associated with having a bowel movement--the colon is still in that area where the left ovary used to be. I had lots of weird pain post-op for months and massaged the areas regularly until I felt better. Adhesions (webs of scar tissue) are easier to stretch if you work on them sooner rather than later.
  • Tethys41
    Tethys41 Member Posts: 1,382 Member
    Options
    carolenk said:

How to "friend" someone
    Bluebird

Click on the little icon that is after the person's screen name--after that, it is self-explanatory.

JB

See if the pain is associated with having a bowel movement--the colon is still in that area where the left ovary used to be. I had lots of weird pain post-op for months and massaged the areas regularly until I felt better. Adhesions (webs of scar tissue) are easier to stretch if you work on them sooner rather than later.

Speaking of Adhesions
    I still find this hard to believe, but it is working for me. If you rub a layer of castor oil on your abdomen at bedtime and cover it with a towel, it will dissolve the adhesions. I've had periods, even recently, when the presence of adhesions became very evident when I would move in certain ways, especially bending over. If I stick to this routine for a couple of weeks, the pains go away.

JB- LOVE the new photo!!!
  • mopar
    mopar Member Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    ME TOO
    Diagnosed in 2000, recurrance in 2006. In between that time I did have twinges of pain on the right side (location of the cancerous ovary). Then I had the recurance. But since then, I still have twinges now and then, and not just in that area. Doc says it could be adhesions, or something else not related. So, it could be either/or. But even with my recurrance nothing showed up for the longest time, and my doctor was also waiting till the CT and/or CA125 was more indicative of a problem.

I anxiously awaiting my November check-up, as I've had more and more twinges lately. My CA125 is still 'in range', but I just can't completely dismiss that nagging idea in the back of my mind. Guess we'll always live with that.

But, praying and hoping that yours is simple scar tissue.

(((HUGS)))
    Monika
  • jbeans888
    jbeans888 Member Posts: 313
    Options
    I am really hoping that it
    I am really hoping that it is just scar tissue because it doesn't hurt all the time, just sometimes. But I am glad that I am not the only one that has experienced it. I would be shocked if it is anything serious because my hemotologist said it is a slow growing cancer. I guess you never know because DNA can change from the cancer. I have an appointment with my primary care next week and I will see what he says if he thinks I should call the gyn/onc because by then it will be two weeks since I first noticed the twinging pain. Thanks for the compliment on the new pic. It is nice to feel some fuzz up there. lol.
  • ocalalaurie
    ocalalaurie Member Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Tethys41 said:

Speaking of Adhesions
    I still find this hard to believe, but it is working for me. If you rub a layer of castor oil on your abdomen at bedtime and cover it with a towel, it will dissolve the adhesions. I've had periods, even recently, when the presence of adhesions became very evident when I would move in certain ways, especially bending over. If I stick to this routine for a couple of weeks, the pains go away.

JB- LOVE the new photo!!!

castor oil
    oooh! thanks for this info. Im going to try it! I seem to always have pain from adhesions...ouch!

:)
  • asuprpixie
    asuprpixie Member Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Scar Tissue
    I am certainly not a doctor, but I can relate to what you are going through. My tumor was found on the left ovary. I had a full hysterectomy and lymph nodes removed. This was July 2008. I STILL have a dull aching pain that never goes away on my left side where the ovary used to be. My gyno/onc has told me this is due to scar tissue. There are days where the pain goes from a dull ache to a sharp pain, and I am certain the cancer is back! Nonetheless, I am still cancer free...it has been only the scar tissue.
  • catluvvkim
    catluvvkim Member Posts: 2
    Options
    pain post op a year later
    Hi. I had pain a year after my surgery. I was so worried about it but then it disappeared. I understand your feelings. I reached out at the inspire site and was reassured from many who had also had such pain.

How are you feeling now?
  • catluvvkim
    catluvvkim Member Posts: 2
    Options
    jbeans888 said:

I am really hoping that it
    I am really hoping that it is just scar tissue because it doesn't hurt all the time, just sometimes. But I am glad that I am not the only one that has experienced it. I would be shocked if it is anything serious because my hemotologist said it is a slow growing cancer. I guess you never know because DNA can change from the cancer. I have an appointment with my primary care next week and I will see what he says if he thinks I should call the gyn/onc because by then it will be two weeks since I first noticed the twinging pain. Thanks for the compliment on the new pic. It is nice to feel some fuzz up there. lol.

pain where ovary was
    Sometimes it felt like a needle but other times it was more fierce. I would turn over in bed and it would twinge.