Face Hair

Help

I finished radiation on Sept.02, 2011. I did not have any other procedure. The radiation was on my left and right lymph-nodes and my tonsils. 39 treatments. I can only grow facial hair on the left side of my face? Why would that be? Will it ever return? The right side after 2 or 3 days is very light. Please give best guesses and advise.

Mitch

Comments

• nwasen
    nwasen Member Posts: 235 Member
    hair regrowth
    No face hair here but I lost the bottom of the back of my hair from where the radiation exited. Looked like rats chewed it off. I am 10 months out from treatment and it finally grew back in. More than likely your issue is from radiation exits also.
    I am assuming you had the mask?
    Give it some time or it may be something you will just deal with. Guess the men will have better answers than me!!
  • mrapp
    mrapp Member Posts: 30
    nwasen said:

hair regrowth
    No face hair here but I lost the bottom of the back of my hair from where the radiation exited. Looked like rats chewed it off. I am 10 months out from treatment and it finally grew back in. More than likely your issue is from radiation exits also.
    I am assuming you had the mask?
    Give it some time or it may be something you will just deal with. Guess the men will have better answers than me!!

Mask
    Yes I was wearing the dreaded mask. I hated that thing.

Mitch
  • ahamric
    ahamric Member Posts: 92
    Hair
    My husband finished 33 rads Aug 18th for tongue scc and still no hair on his face or the back of his head. Everyone is different so best of luck. Ali
  • Greend
    Greend Member Posts: 678
    time
    Only took me two years to start growing fuzz.
  • SASH
    SASH Member Posts: 421 Member
    It saves on shaving
    At the beginning after rads, I would only have to shave once every couple of weeks, now I have to shave once a week. It isn't as thick as it used to be, but it sure does save time in the morning.

My rad doc said, "I would never have to shave again." Now I call him a liar every time I see him. This year around Halloween I am going to buy a fake beard for the next time I see him, to get a good laugh.
  • Skiffin16
    Skiffin16 Member Posts: 8,305 Member
    Hair Today, Gone Tomorrow
    Like mentioned, I basically have no beard below the jaw bone anymore (either side) and still a bit fuszzy on the back inch or two of my neck line in the back.

John
  • Hondo
    Hondo Member Posts: 6,636 Member
    Skiffin16 said:

Hair Today, Gone Tomorrow
    Like mentioned, I basically have no beard below the jaw bone anymore (either side) and still a bit fuszzy on the back inch or two of my neck line in the back.

John

Hi Mitch
    Everyone if different is how they are affected some do grow back their hair some don’t. I my case I can grow a mustache and goatee but can’t grow a full beard. The radiation took my hair line in the back of my neck and also moved it up about an inch which is not too bad. But like I say I feel lucky that I can grow anything back being radiated twice to the head.

Wishing you the best
    Hondo
  • mrapp
    mrapp Member Posts: 30
    Hondo said:

Hi Mitch
    Everyone if different is how they are affected some do grow back their hair some don’t. I my case I can grow a mustache and goatee but can’t grow a full beard. The radiation took my hair line in the back of my neck and also moved it up about an inch which is not too bad. But like I say I feel lucky that I can grow anything back being radiated twice to the head.

Wishing you the best
    Hondo

Hondo
    Getting it twice is bad enough but to have to get it twice in the head area seems just not right. My heart goes out to you. I used to tell myself if I ever got thru this one I would never do it again. Then again there were many times I didn't think I was going to make it thru it. Well I did, with alot of prayer, a excellent wife (caregiver), and many many hours reading on here.
  • Hondo
    mrapp said:

Hondo
    Getting it twice is bad enough but to have to get it twice in the head area seems just not right. My heart goes out to you. I used to tell myself if I ever got thru this one I would never do it again. Then again there were many times I didn't think I was going to make it thru it. Well I did, with alot of prayer, a excellent wife (caregiver), and many many hours reading on here.

Mitch
    Life is still very good even after treatment twice; I got to see two of my grandchildren come in to this world and growing up. It is a real joy to be able to do that and worth all the pain and suffering I had to go through both times just to be here for them. I like you said I would never do it again but I did not want to miss out on that joy if at all possible. You are right it was all done with an exceptionally good Caregiver wife and prayers from a lot of people, and my best friend Jesus.

Thanks
    Hondo
  • Greend
    Greend Member Posts: 678
    Hondo said:

Mitch
    Life is still very good even after treatment twice; I got to see two of my grandchildren come in to this world and growing up. It is a real joy to be able to do that and worth all the pain and suffering I had to go through both times just to be here for them. I like you said I would never do it again but I did not want to miss out on that joy if at all possible. You are right it was all done with an exceptionally good Caregiver wife and prayers from a lot of people, and my best friend Jesus.

Thanks
    Hondo

Hondo
    Amen about the grandchildren :>)

Take care.
  • BrianKrashpad
    BrianKrashpad Member Posts: 188
    Greend said:

Hondo

Take care.

patches
    I'm about 8 months out of radiation and still have a bald spot on my left cheek, though it is slowly coming back. May not ever fully come back though. A full beard is not an option for me now, though I could do a goatee type. Also had a bald spot on the nape of my neck which I'm told is coming back.

Be well.
  • Hondo
    Greend said:

Hondo

Take care.

grandchildren
    Yep they can be a pain and joy all at the same time, but I sure love being here for them.

Thanks
    Hondo