Re: Dentist

erica65
erica65 Member Posts: 20
edited October 2011 in Breast Cancer #1
Has anyone ever been told no dentist till after chemo? I may have a cavity but not sure I can go to dentist and have novacane.... I will c my oncologist on Weds. But I have been curious:)

All my pink sisters have a great weekend:)

Hugs

Erica

Comments

• laughs_a_lot
    laughs_a_lot Member Posts: 1,368 Member
    It may depend
    It may depend on your stage of cancer and your treatment plan. I have not been told to wait.
  • jewels5
    jewels5 Member Posts: 57
    I was told not to see the
    I was told not to see the dentist during chemo, nor to use toothpaste with whiteners. I would still go see your dentist just to have your tooth looked at though, to ease your mind.

good luck!

hugs,
    Julie
  • skipper54
    skipper54 Member Posts: 936 Member
    jewels5 said:

I was told not to see the
    I was told not to see the dentist during chemo, nor to use toothpaste with whiteners. I would still go see your dentist just to have your tooth looked at though, to ease your mind.

good luck!

hugs,
    Julie

was told cleaning was okay but no major dental work
    as immune system is down and bacteria could spread into system and cause problems but check with your onc.
  • grams2jc
    grams2jc Member Posts: 756
    Yes
    They actually told me very soft toothbrush, no floss, no dental cleanings, etc. As stated above they were concerned about low counts for both bacteria spreading and bleeding from gums with low platelet counts.

I went to the dentist for cleaning 2 weeks after finishing rads and was sooo happy to have a shiny smile. Of course I had 2 chemo cavities that had to be filled but now everything is great again.

Maybe there is some small thing they can do without being too invasive to hold you over until after chemo.

Good luck,

Jennifer
  • jessiesmom1
    jessiesmom1 Member Posts: 915 Member
    No Dental Visits During Chemo
    Hi Erica,

I was due for my regular 6 month dental check-up right during the middle of chemo. My oncologist said NOT to go but instead to reschedule it for when chemo was over. As other posters have said, the theory was that it was not a good time to have someone poking around in my mouth with sharp objects and possibly introducing bacteria into my bloodstream. I went shortly after chemo was over and my dentist had me take an antibiotic for a couple of days after the teeth cleaning/exam. I was glad to have pearly white teeth once again.

IRENE
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member

Hi Erica,

I was due for my regular 6 month dental check-up right during the middle of chemo. My oncologist said NOT to go but instead to reschedule it for when chemo was over. As other posters have said, the theory was that it was not a good time to have someone poking around in my mouth with sharp objects and possibly introducing bacteria into my bloodstream. I went shortly after chemo was over and my dentist had me take an antibiotic for a couple of days after the teeth cleaning/exam. I was glad to have pearly white teeth once again.

IRENE

yes but just remember to
    yes but just remember to address any potential dental problems as that can lead to problems with a compromised immune system. cleanings can wait. dentists usually know and you should ask your onc.
  • mamolady
    mamolady Member Posts: 796 Member
    no dentist till after chemo
    I was told no dentist during chemo so I got my teeth cleaned just before. After chemo, I was due for another cleaning. Perfect timing!
    I think it has to do with infections and bleeding. However, if you may get an abscess it may be better to go. Ask you oncologist.
    Cindy
  • RozHopkins
    RozHopkins Member Posts: 578 Member
    Dental Work
    Same here, no dental work until after chemo. Finished that last November, just this week had root canal, thank goodness didn't have it during treatment, was in agony.
  • ender
    ender Member Posts: 167

Dental Work
    Same here, no dental work until after chemo. Finished that last November, just this week had root canal, thank goodness didn't have it during treatment, was in agony.

My MO said no dental work
    My MO said no dental work during chemo. Actually, no dental work until after my port was removed.

Hope this was useful.

Eva
  • erica65
    erica65 Member Posts: 20
    Thank u all for ur input. I had a feeling i could not go. I will talk to onoc on Weds when i c her. I have a cavity in my molar so i thought laughin gasmn filling and i would not bleed but i sure dont need any infections.

Hugs
    Erica
  • Heatherbelle
    Heatherbelle Member Posts: 1,226 Member
    Erica,
    I had one of my

Erica,
    I had one of my molars removed while having chemo. It had a large cavity, was giving me alot of pain, and I asked my onc about it before seeing the dentist. He recommended my having it removed, because the chemo increased my risk of getting an infection from the bad tooth. I got my chemo every 2 weeks, followed by a neulasta shot because my counts always went down. Oncologist gave me a timeline between treatments & neulasta that would be the best time to have the tooth removed (days after neulasta when WBC was up).
    *hugs*
    Heather
  • Heatherbelle
    Heatherbelle Member Posts: 1,226 Member

Hi Erica,

IRENE

Cavities can also lead to
    Cavities can also lead to infection, which is why my oncologist recommended I have my tooth removed between chemo treatments, rather than wait and possibly put myself at risk for an infection.
    If you're in pain by all means talk to your oncologist about seeing your dentist. I was started on antibiotics the day I had my tooth pulled and told if i so much as got a fever to call my Dr and get checked but I didn't have any complications. Tooth removed, pain gone :)
    *hugs*
    heather
  • mariam_11_09
    mariam_11_09 Member Posts: 691 Member
    Yes, I had to see the
    Yes, I had to see the dentist.

I had a filling in a molar break after my second AC infusion. I was concerned I would loose the whole tooth if I waited until after chemo. I spoke to the Onc. who said I could see the dentist only if my blood counts were alright. My dentist spoke with my Onc. to make sure it was alright, I was her first chemo patient.

My blood counts were alright and I had the rather large filling removed and replaced. Everything was fine. I also had a cleaning during chemo after I had finished the AC and before the Taxol. Again, my Onc. had me check my blood work beforehand.