When to start wearing a bra again after radiation? Realize I forgot to ask my radiologist.

ender
ender Member Posts: 167
Hi everyone,

For those of you who had radiation, when did you start wearing a bra again? I just finished this past Monday. Already my breast is less tender and less red. I wonder when it is prudent to start wearing a bra again?

All comments are much appreciated.

Eva

Comments

• Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    I never quit wearing one
    I never stopped wearing a bra throughout rads. My ego would not let me wander around in public with a D left and a flat right. I didn't burn during rads but did start burning the day after last one - burned 'pretty good' at that. During that time the only places i went out in public was to Dr appts and straight home. I wrapped my pros in saran wrap so the burn fluid didn't actually get on it. At home all I could do was keep plain white T-shirts on as bandage and change ever 2 hrs.

My Rads Dr never told me not to wear bra and pros.

Susan
  • ender
    Rague said:

I never quit wearing one
    I never stopped wearing a bra throughout rads. My ego would not let me wander around in public with a D left and a flat right. I didn't burn during rads but did start burning the day after last one - burned 'pretty good' at that. During that time the only places i went out in public was to Dr appts and straight home. I wrapped my pros in saran wrap so the burn fluid didn't actually get on it. At home all I could do was keep plain white T-shirts on as bandage and change ever 2 hrs.

My Rads Dr never told me not to wear bra and pros.

Susan

Thanks for your reply,
    Thanks for your reply, Susan. My radiologist had lots of instructions: not to wear even a sports bra was one. I hope you are doing better now.
  • grams2jc
    grams2jc Member Posts: 756
    I went back before I finished treatment
    I had to stop rads twice due to burning and went about 3 weeks without a bra, complicated when you have 1 breast and it isn't winter. I told myself it wasn't too obvious but am sure that isn't really the case. Anyway, went back to the softest bra I could find and a foam prosthesis for the last treatment and healed up well. Then I went without as much as I could at home

I think you will be able to tell when you can tolerate it.

Good luck!

Jennifer
  • Tux
    Tux Member Posts: 544
    bra after rads
    I never quit wearing a bra, as I was a middle school teacher & rather "generous" in size.
    I got cotton bras from Just my Size in a couple of sizes larger than my regular size.
    I got them at my local discount dept. store, but they can be ordered. I would encourage
    you to consider starting with something of that type. I know a few patients who wore loose sport bras, but I didn't think that would work very well for me personally.

Good luck!
  • ender
    Tux said:

bra after rads
    I never quit wearing a bra, as I was a middle school teacher & rather "generous" in size.
    I got cotton bras from Just my Size in a couple of sizes larger than my regular size.
    I got them at my local discount dept. store, but they can be ordered. I would encourage
    you to consider starting with something of that type. I know a few patients who wore loose sport bras, but I didn't think that would work very well for me personally.

Good luck!

Wearing something in a
    Wearing something in a bigger seize sounds like a good idea! Many thanks for all the tips!
  • butterflylvr
    butterflylvr Member Posts: 944
    ender said:

Wearing something in a
    Wearing something in a bigger seize sounds like a good idea! Many thanks for all the tips!

I always wore a sports bra
    I always wore a sports bra throughout my treatments. Going a size up was what worked for me... Sports bras are nice because after you goop up from your creams, it shields your clothing from the greasy goop.

Lorrie
  • ender

I always wore a sports bra
    I always wore a sports bra throughout my treatments. Going a size up was what worked for me... Sports bras are nice because after you goop up from your creams, it shields your clothing from the greasy goop.

Lorrie

So true Lorrie. I went
    So true Lorrie. I went completely without anything during the treatment (my radiologist was strict about that), but today when out and about I dared a soft sports bra. Felt good and normal :) And I grease up with my all time favorite before bedtime - coconut oil! I recommend it to all who will listen :)

Eva