Halfway through Radiation

Options
mollieb
mollieb Member Posts: 148
Today was treatment 14 of 28, and I am so happy to be half way through. I have a little redness on my upper chest, but no pain and no burns. I have had only ten treatments in a row, due to problems getting started, but I hope this is an indication that I won't burn. Getting started was really a mess, though. Because I can't get my right arm over my head (due to shoulder replacement in April) they had a really hard time getting me set up. Radiation is on the left side, so it's possible to treat me with my right arm by my side, but they couldn't figure out how to ensure that it was in the same position every day. You would think they might have seen something like this before! At first the radiation therapist wanted me to just put my hand in my pocket, but I didn't think that would work because 1) not all my pants have pockets and 2) for long appointments, like simulation and film studies, I would not be able to hold the position without support because of pain when I hold it in the same position too long and because eventually my arm would start to shake. So the therapist got into an argument with my doctor, and ended up angrily making something out of plastic that holds its shape when scrunched together that was supposed to support my arm. She was punching the plastic and shoving it under my arm. I couldn't believe someone would act that way in front of a patient, or would be so confrontational with the head of the department, with or without a patient in the room. The plastic thing didn't provide enough support, and it interfered with the contraption you lie down on, the one with the neck support and arm holders. For four days, they took at least half an hour getting me positioned, cursing the doctor under their breaths and saying I had an attitude. For my part, it hurt, every day, because of how long I had to hold the position even with the support. And the whole time I was lying there wondering if the radiation is really hitting the spot it's supposed to or if all this is causing it to go to my lungs or heart. On day four, I suggested that since the plastic thingy wasn't working, maybe we could think about how to make something that would. I was really very nice about it -- I can be sharp, but I know my life is in these people's hands and I try very hard to get them on my side. The folks in chemo and physical therapy love me! Everyone breathed a sigh of relief at my request (why didn't they think that up themselves?), we called a temporary halt to treatment, did a new simulation and a new, two-hour film study that had me in tears from the pain of keeping my bad arm in the same position for so long (the good, mastectomy-side, arm, was just numb), and started again a week after my fourth treatment. During all this I ran into the American Cancer Society social worker who has an office at the hospital and she asked me how it was going. I told her the whole awful story and I think she took it to the chief therapist, because they have been really, really nice to me since then. Now we have a new, much-easier-to-use foam support, and some days I can be in and out of the treatment room in fifteen minutes. What a difference!

I am literally counting the days until this is over!

Comments

• iluvmykids
    iluvmykids Member Posts: 49
    Options
    Me too!
    I just finished treatment 16 of 33, almost there too!

So sorry to hear they had so many problems setting you up, I agree with you, they had to have run across similar patients before, right? Sheesh. I'm glad they finally got it straightened out for you. My treatment rarely lasts 5 minutes, but on M-W-F they have a student in the room and she positions me - they are all really nice 20 or 30 something girls - but when the student is doing it I sometimes want to scream it takes so much longer, and there is nothing wrong with my arm, it just goes numb really fast laying above my head.

You and I can celebrate together when we're done!
  • Mitzi333
    Mitzi333 Member Posts: 511 Member
    Options

Me too!
    I just finished treatment 16 of 33, almost there too!

So sorry to hear they had so many problems setting you up, I agree with you, they had to have run across similar patients before, right? Sheesh. I'm glad they finally got it straightened out for you. My treatment rarely lasts 5 minutes, but on M-W-F they have a student in the room and she positions me - they are all really nice 20 or 30 something girls - but when the student is doing it I sometimes want to scream it takes so much longer, and there is nothing wrong with my arm, it just goes numb really fast laying above my head.

You and I can celebrate together when we're done!

Include me in the celebration...
    I'm halfway through too. Today was #17 of 33. So far, so good. We can start our countdown ladies!!! Let the games begin...

Wishing YOU all the best!!!
    Hugs~
    Mitzi ;0)
  • mollieb
    mollieb Member Posts: 148
    Options
    Party in 3 Weeks!
    I am already planning what to bring to work on my last day of treatment -- they have carried me for nearly a year and I want to do something really special.
  • grams2jc
    grams2jc Member Posts: 756
    Options
    Congrats 1/2 rad grads!
    Does that mean you've gotten through elementary school so to speak? I hated, hated, oh and did I say hated radiation. Sooooo relieved when it was finally over so I have a special place in my heart for anybody going through it.

Hang in there warriors it will be over before you know it and then you owe yourselves a party.

Yahoo!!

Jennifer
  • Nancy C.
    Nancy C. Member Posts: 9
    Options
    Halfway through Radiation
    I had shoulder culf repair in 09. I had double M. Aug.19.
    I started doing simple arm stretchs a week before I started
    Radiation. I too did not think I could last the first time
    they had to do the mold. My arms were shaking
    when they were done. I do arm stretchs and 1 pound wts. every
    morning before I go. I think this really helps.
    If any of you are going to start Radiation, START PUTTING ON THE
    CREAM AND STRETCHING NOW....
  • mamolady
    mamolady Member Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Mollie,
    Unfortunate that it

Mollie,
    Unfortunate that it took intervention from outside to get your treatment on a better track. I am sure all the patients that follow you will appreciate your efforts!
    Radiation does fly by. Especially now that you got the drama out of the way.

Congrats on the milestone,

Cindy
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    Options
    I made a reverse chart &
    I made a reverse chart & calender for my desk! so it started out with total days each day at work I would come back and put big X through it..I saved it and scrapped booked it. along with my swipe ID tag and my first day picture etc..
  • butterflylvr
    butterflylvr Member Posts: 944
    Options

I made a reverse chart &
    I made a reverse chart & calender for my desk! so it started out with total days each day at work I would come back and put big X through it..I saved it and scrapped booked it. along with my swipe ID tag and my first day picture etc..

You girls are doing awesome.
    You girls are doing awesome. That was me just a few short months ago, I will be here cheering you girls onto graduation. Go radiation girls go *\0/*

Hugs,
    Lorrie
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options

You girls are doing awesome.
    You girls are doing awesome. That was me just a few short months ago, I will be here cheering you girls onto graduation. Go radiation girls go *\0/*

Hugs,
    Lorrie

Congratulations to All ... You Radiation 'Goddess'
    Job well done .. continued success to you all!!

Vicki Sam
  • BMS
    BMS Member Posts: 127
    Options
    Yay for Halfway done!
    I finished my rads in mid-June, so not too long ago. You can do this and we are all here to chere you on!

Bonnie
  • Mitzi333
    Mitzi333 Member Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    BMS said:

Yay for Halfway done!
    I finished my rads in mid-June, so not too long ago. You can do this and we are all here to chere you on!

Bonnie

Thanks for the encouragement...
    Today starts another week... to complete 5 more rads. Moving and grooving...

Thanks for all of your support!!! You're all invited to our party. Get your party hats ready and dust off your dance shoes for the happy dance. ;0)

Have a GREAT Week!!!

Big Hugs~
    Mitzi ;0)