A Tribute to a Fallen Warrior, 9-30-2010

Bella Luna
Bella Luna Member Posts: 1,578 Member
September 30, 2010

Today I lost a very dear friend to cancer. She died this morning at the hospital with family and
friends by her side. Her name was Zena Simmons and she was EXCEPTIONAL! She was loved by many! I met Zena at the chemo clinic and was automatically drawn to her unfaltering, sunny disposition.

Back in September 2009, I remember being very scared about starting chemo. I had heard about the side effects and wondered how I was going to get through six rounds and be a mother and wife to my family. The unknown was what worried me most.

My steadfast husband, Mark, came with me to the clinic. We came prepared with snacks, water, reading material, and a cozy blanket. As I was situating myself, I heard a woman sitting across the way from me say that she considered these sessions her "SPA DAYS". She said she sat back and imagined getting her nails and toes done and looking beautiful! I looked up and couldn't believe her analogy. Holy Smoke! I was surprised to say the least and thought, "This woman is Amazing!"

We didn't talk all that much on that day as I was taking in this new harsh reality that had befallen me and my family. Mark and Zena chatted while her mother sat smiling and knitting away in a chair. I sat back and tried to relax. She was nearing the end of her treatments while I was just beginning mine. Several days later, I told Mark that I had to talk with this unique woman because she was coping with this awful stuff so much better than I.

At the next session, I made sure to exchange numbers with Zena. It was her last session and she was thrilled to be done with chemo! She did a little Victory Dance. The patients and nurses watched and celebrated with applause, smiles, and laughter. She definitely lite up a room with her infectious smile and "Mary Poppins" disposition.

We talked practically every day after that point. She had a great sense of humor and we laughed so much! I liked listening to her because she had such good common sense. She was kind and lovely beyond words and accompanied Mark and I to my chemo sessions, even though she was done with her treatments. She didn't have to do that, but she did because that was just the kind of person she was.

When she was told of her recurrence, I stepped up to the plate and accompanied her to her chemo visits. She had done me the kindness and it was my turn to repay her with my time and support. I was glad to be there for her.

I knew Zena for a year. She made such an impact on me. I will never forget her. She was my Sister from another Mother. She coined that phrase. It was so true. I loved her like a sister. She is in Heaven now. How I envy God. I know she will keep Him smiling and that she is forever in good hands.

Rest in Peace Sister Zena. I love you.
Ines

Comments

• jessiesmom1
    jessiesmom1 Member Posts: 915 Member
    Your Friend Zena
    What an absolutely wonderful and eloquent tribute to your friend Zena. We should all be so lucky to have a friend like that.

IRENE
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Oh My...I am so very sorry
    Oh My...I am so very sorry Ines. You wrote an absolutely beautiful tribute to Zena; I could absolutely visualize the light and burst of energy and life she obviously brought into a room, a situation, and to those who had the honor of knowing her. It sounds as if you were a mutual blessing to each other~ a True Kindred Spirit to you, as you were to her. Those kinds of gifts do not come into our lives very often, and they are to be treasured. As you obviously did.

Sadly we can indeed imagine what it is like to lose someone to the beast. I hope that your heart will be filled with all of the good things about you and your soul sister Zena, and that your sadness will soften with the passage of time. She has left an indelible mark of compassion and loving kindness ....

Hugs,
    Claudia
  • camul
    camul Member Posts: 2,537
    What a beautiful story
    It made me smile to read how you found each other and an instant bond was formed. I am so sorry that she is gone, but she will always be in your heart, as is evident in how you have described your friendship.

I am so sorry for your loss.

Carol
  • butterflylvr
    butterflylvr Member Posts: 944
    chenheart said:

Oh My...I am so very sorry
    Oh My...I am so very sorry Ines. You wrote an absolutely beautiful tribute to Zena; I could absolutely visualize the light and burst of energy and life she obviously brought into a room, a situation, and to those who had the honor of knowing her. It sounds as if you were a mutual blessing to each other~ a True Kindred Spirit to you, as you were to her. Those kinds of gifts do not come into our lives very often, and they are to be treasured. As you obviously did.

Sadly we can indeed imagine what it is like to lose someone to the beast. I hope that your heart will be filled with all of the good things about you and your soul sister Zena, and that your sadness will soften with the passage of time. She has left an indelible mark of compassion and loving kindness ....

Hugs,
    Claudia

Aww... Ines what a beautiful
    Aww... Ines what a beautiful tribute, your friend Zena I'm sure went down smiling. That's what beautiful souls do and Zena sure had that energy. I am so proud of you for paying it forward. This sisterhood we didn't ask for but united we stand. My heart and prayers go out to Zena's family today and I will light my candle for her when I get home from work today.

God Bless you Ines and Zena's family as you navigate through this difficult time.
    Hugs,
    Lorrie
  • iaelituuao
    iaelituuao Member Posts: 19
    Hello Ines,
    Sorry to hear of

Hello Ines,

Sorry to hear of a dear friends passing.
    You have been a blessing to me also when I first entered this forum a yr ago.
    Prayers for you as well as Zenas family.
  • iluvmykids
    iluvmykids Member Posts: 49
    A beautiful tribute, thanks for sharing it.
    Though awful as cancer is, it brings us many meaningful blessings, she was one of yours. Thank you for sharing the story of your friendship, may we all be so blessed to know someone like her.
  • mwallace1325
    mwallace1325 Member Posts: 806

A beautiful tribute, thanks for sharing it.
    Though awful as cancer is, it brings us many meaningful blessings, she was one of yours. Thank you for sharing the story of your friendship, may we all be so blessed to know someone like her.

What a wonderful friend
    What a wonderful friend each of you found in the other. So happy you had time with her, your tribute to her is inspiring, and while I'm happy that she's in heaven, no longer having to fight, I'm so sorry for your loss.

marge
  • Bella Luna
    Bella Luna Member Posts: 1,578 Member
    Thank You
    Thank you for your kind words. Zena was an AMAZING woman. Her family is having a gathering at her home this Saturday in honor of her memory. I plan to go with my family as I keep in touch with her grown daughter and Zena's Mother. She touched so many people in her short 45 years.

I can honestly say she was the closest being I have ever come across who was "Christ" like. Meaning she embodied such radiant beauty, I'm talking about inner beauty, and wisdom that reminds me of Ghandi, Mother Teresa, and Martin Luther King. That, folks, is a HIGH ORDER!

God bless Zena and her Family.
    Ines
  • mom62
    mom62 Member Posts: 604 Member
    Crying
    Hi,

Bella Luna I am so sorry you lost your friend. I too have a sister from another mother although she has never had cancer like me. She is my rock and if anything ever happened to her I would be crushed so I can't imagine how you feel. You did her justice by the beautiful way you talk about her. Again, I am sorry for your loss.

Hugs,
    Terry
  • Gabe N Abby Mom
    Gabe N Abby Mom Member Posts: 2,413
    Thank you for sharing your
    Thank you for sharing your memories with us, they are very touching. Someone so vibrant, who has so much impact, will surely be missed by many. My prayers go out to you and Zena's family.

Hugs,

Linda
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294

Thank you for sharing your
    Thank you for sharing your memories with us, they are very touching. Someone so vibrant, who has so much impact, will surely be missed by many. My prayers go out to you and Zena's family.

Hugs,

Linda

Ines, thank you for sharing
    Ines,
    I do remember your friend Zena, who was introduced last year. I have been moved by your story and feel like I have met her too. While you knew Zena for a year only, she has become a part of your life.
    At this time of mourning and grief my thoughts are with you and your friend Zena, who left unforgettable memories and brightened your life.
    Hugs,
    New Flower
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    What a beautiful tribute!
    I, too, had a special 'chemo buddy' who was farther down the path than I....it made such an impression that, when the time came, I was inspired to return the favor and help others....

Hugs, Kathi
  • natly15
    natly15 Member Posts: 1,941
    KathiM said:

What a beautiful tribute!
    I, too, had a special 'chemo buddy' who was farther down the path than I....it made such an impression that, when the time came, I was inspired to return the favor and help others....

Hugs, Kathi

Bella Luna your words are
    Bella Luna your words are beautiful, I think as beautiful as your sweet sister. It is so sad when we lose the people who are so dear to us. I also had a brave lady who helped me thru my first chemo and she has also gone on to heaven. She was my angel and I will never forget her spunk, positive attitude and joy for life. I believe God puts these people in our path for a reason so we can learn, be encouraged and then pay it forward. Hugs to you.