Has anyone gotten a lump (cancerous or benign) in their biopsy scar?

Options
ender
ender Member Posts: 167
Hi everyone,

Just met with my MO after becoming a rad grad earlier this week (tjohoo!). She felt something in my armpit that she wants me to go see my surgeon for. It did not feel like cancer to her. It was not a lump but more of a long "wedge" that tapered. She guessed it was scar tissue from surgery. Nevertheless, she wanted me to go see my surgeon for a possible ultrasound. I appreciate that she wants me to check everything and anything out, but of course it inevitably makes me worried. Has anyone experienced something similar? I had a sentinal node biopsy where 3 nodes were taken out.

All comments are much appreciated.

Eva

Comments

• KathyLQ
    KathyLQ Member Posts: 100
    Options
    Fat necrosis
    This likely is not the same as your concern, but I thought I'd mention it.

I had a D.I.E.P. flap transfer for reconstruction, which is largely a transplant of belly fat. In one area high above my breast, where the surgeon placed belly fat. it started feeling hard in about 2 months. It ended up feeling just like my original BC lump, so back to docs I went to ask what was it? I had ultrasound, and a new needle biopsy, which determined it was Fat necrosis, a condition where a firm lump forms where fatty breast tissue has been damaged.

My plastic surgeon removed some of it during my follow up breast lift, so the lump is less noticeable now.

I hope yours will turn out with a reasonable explanation!
  • ender
    Options
    KathyLQ said:

Fat necrosis
    This likely is not the same as your concern, but I thought I'd mention it.

I had a D.I.E.P. flap transfer for reconstruction, which is largely a transplant of belly fat. In one area high above my breast, where the surgeon placed belly fat. it started feeling hard in about 2 months. It ended up feeling just like my original BC lump, so back to docs I went to ask what was it? I had ultrasound, and a new needle biopsy, which determined it was Fat necrosis, a condition where a firm lump forms where fatty breast tissue has been damaged.

My plastic surgeon removed some of it during my follow up breast lift, so the lump is less noticeable now.

I hope yours will turn out with a reasonable explanation!

Thanks so much for your
    Thanks so much for your reply! I'm glad to learn your new lump was nothing bad. I remember my surgeon telling me that she moved around the fatty tissue in the breast for a good cosmetic result. So perhaps fatty tissue could be an answer. Again, thanks so much for sharing!
  • butterflylvr
    butterflylvr Member Posts: 944
    Options
    ender said:

Thanks so much for your
    Thanks so much for your reply! I'm glad to learn your new lump was nothing bad. I remember my surgeon telling me that she moved around the fatty tissue in the breast for a good cosmetic result. So perhaps fatty tissue could be an answer. Again, thanks so much for sharing!

Where the incision holes are
    Where the incision holes are from my drain tubes I've developed scar tissue. I asked my Radiation Oncologist about it during my 1 month checkup after my treatments and he said it was scar tissue. Mine is right along the incision line though, and because I had a double mastectomy, we made sure my scars on my left side were included in the treatment field as that is the area most prone to cancer re-occurance with no boob.

Try and remain calm Eva, there can be any number of reasons. With the node removals maybe it's always been there but the swelling finally went down under your armpit to be discovered. I had one sentinel node removed on each side as well and that sure does add to a longer healing time. Peace of mind is always a good thing sweetie, so maybe that ultrasound might be the way to go...

Thinking of you,
    Lorrie
  • ender
    Options

Where the incision holes are
    Where the incision holes are from my drain tubes I've developed scar tissue. I asked my Radiation Oncologist about it during my 1 month checkup after my treatments and he said it was scar tissue. Mine is right along the incision line though, and because I had a double mastectomy, we made sure my scars on my left side were included in the treatment field as that is the area most prone to cancer re-occurance with no boob.

Try and remain calm Eva, there can be any number of reasons. With the node removals maybe it's always been there but the swelling finally went down under your armpit to be discovered. I had one sentinel node removed on each side as well and that sure does add to a longer healing time. Peace of mind is always a good thing sweetie, so maybe that ultrasound might be the way to go...

Thinking of you,
    Lorrie

Thanks so much Lorrie. I
    Thanks so much Lorrie. I feel anxious, but not too bad. Got an appointment to see the NP at my surgeons office on Monday. Tried to explain that my MO specifically wanted my surgeon to check it out, but she had her first opening in November. I appreciate that my surgeon needs to help others, as she so beautifully helped me, by operating rather than seeing people like me who are basically fine now. I'm sure the NP can determine if an ultrasound is needed.

Again, many thanks

Eva