Met with surgeon

buckeye2
buckeye2 Member Posts: 428 Member
My husband and I met with the surgeon on Monday for a consultation. He said he believes my husband is a candidate for the HIPEC procedure. Tumor board meets next week and surgeon is going in with thumbs up. I am very excited about the possibilities of the surgery but husband is scared to death although says he wants to do anything possible to extend his life. I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has been through the procedure. Lisa

Comments

• Sundanceh
    Sundanceh Member Posts: 4,392 Member
    Lori:)
    Strange feeling so excited about a surgery, huh Lisa?

You've asked a question I can't answer, but there are folks here who have done that proc and should be along to try and help you.

Saw your post and just thought I would bump it up for another pass to see if you can get some takers:)

I am very pleased that surgery is an option for your husband. I'm a strong proponent for surgery as I feel this offers the very best chance (chance mind you) to remove as much cancer as possible, which allows any other treatment options to be that more effective.

There are no guarantees, but all we really ask for is a Chance - and a chance is the gift you just received. This surgery will do much to help him stay in the fight.

I always get sad when folks don't have the option for surgery and have to rely on chemo. I've done alot of everything and still experienced multiple recurrences. But, cutting out sure gives us a "hands-up start" to our fights.

Best of luck! Want to hear more when you know more:)

-Craig
  • Brenda Bricco
    Brenda Bricco Member Posts: 579 Member
    That's where we are...
    I have been praying (more like begging) for surgery to become an option for my husband since FEB 1st. It seems that GOD has answered my prayers and he is schedule for RFA and resection of rectum in the next couple weeks. My husband is very nervous about it all and I would have to say I am too. It is crazy that we have been begging for something that we are so afraid of but like Craig said, it is a gift and I wish more had the options that we have been gifted. It sure feels like a slippery slope at this time but I have put my faith in GOD and handed it all to him (atleast for today, I do slip up and shake in my boots somedays)HE is where all my hope lies. I pray that you find the peace and courage it takes to go down this path. ONE DAY AT A TIME SWEET JESUS> :)
  • LivinginNH
    LivinginNH Member Posts: 1,456 Member
    Hi Lisa,
    I sent you a PM on

Hi Lisa,

I sent you a PM on Rick's experience with the HIPEC surgery as you had requested.

All my best, Cynthia
  • buckeye2

Hi Lisa,
    I sent you a PM on

Hi Lisa,

I sent you a PM on Rick's experience with the HIPEC surgery as you had requested.

All my best, Cynthia

Thanks Cynthia. Information
    Thanks Cynthia. Information was scary but helpful. I will more than likely be bugging you. Lisa
  • buckeye2

That's where we are...
    I have been praying (more like begging) for surgery to become an option for my husband since FEB 1st. It seems that GOD has answered my prayers and he is schedule for RFA and resection of rectum in the next couple weeks. My husband is very nervous about it all and I would have to say I am too. It is crazy that we have been begging for something that we are so afraid of but like Craig said, it is a gift and I wish more had the options that we have been gifted. It sure feels like a slippery slope at this time but I have put my faith in GOD and handed it all to him (atleast for today, I do slip up and shake in my boots somedays)HE is where all my hope lies. I pray that you find the peace and courage it takes to go down this path. ONE DAY AT A TIME SWEET JESUS> :)

You give good advice. I had
    You give good advice. I had a rosary (and a four leaf cover and a wishbone) in my pocket when we met with the surgeon. The rosary is one I got from a very odd man in a bar in Hollywood Florida while there on vacation about six years ago. I initiated a conversation with him and it was obvious he had "issues". The bartender must have known him because he asked me if he was bothering me. I replied no and the odd man and I continued our conversation for about an hour as we both had low conversational standards meaning will talk to anyone for unlimited periods of time. When it got time for my husband and I to leave, the stranger asked me to wait and told me he wanted to get me something. He returned with a blue rosary. I have always believed it had magical powers and when anyone in my family is struggling with a life problem, they put the rosary under their pillow to bring them peace of mind. If you need to borrow it for your big surgery day, pm me an address and I will send but need it back for what I hope is our big day in the months ahead. I wish your husband a successful surgery and minimally painful recovery. Lisa
  • awhitehead
    awhitehead Member Posts: 1

Hi Lisa,
    I sent you a PM on

Hi Lisa,

All my best, Cynthia

HIPEC
    My husband is having this surgery Nov. 8, is there any way you would be willing to share any info. I am scared and just want to be totally informed. Thanks....

Angela Coggins
  • LivinginNH
    LivinginNH Member Posts: 1,456 Member

HIPEC
    My husband is having this surgery Nov. 8, is there any way you would be willing to share any info. I am scared and just want to be totally informed. Thanks....

Angela Coggins

Hi Angela,
    Sure, I'll send

Hi Angela,

Sure, I'll send you a PM when I get home from work. - Cyn