Next step in my journey

Options
2»

Comments

• gami43
    gami43 Member Posts: 281
    Options

Linda, there are few people
    Linda, there are few people who I say this about that I really, truly mean it about--I just love everything about you! You have handled your illness with such grace and dignity. You are so wise and so amazing. And you often make me laugh out loud to boot.

If I can do anything to help, please PM me. And give your wonderful family a hug from me (and I know they must be wonderful if you love them).

I know you are a fighter and I am praying that the Xeloda kicks your cancer to the curb! When I had chemo years ago, I used to visualize the chemo as little Pac-Men (Or Pac-Women if you like bows) gobbling up the cancer. Hope that image helps :-). As always, you are in my prayers.

Linda - so sorry you had to
    Linda - so sorry you had to hear those words that pushed you into
    Stage IV. Denial is so much easier, isn't it? But now having to
    face the reality, you are doing so with grace. Your positive attitude
    will serve you well in your new fight. Keep us posted; we care.

God bless, Teresa
  • mom62
    mom62 Member Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Stage 4
    Hi Linda,

I just wanted to let you know that I was originally diagnosed in 2003. It came back as stage 4 in 2009. I had surgery to remove my sternum and part of three of my ribs. I did chemo after. I live with bone mets but am on hormone therapy. It's been over two years for me so don't let yourself get down. Live life to the fullest, it is precious, but you still have plenty left. Don't let the words about your stage get to you. Best of luck with your chemo. I can't imagine taking pills either. Take care.

Terry
  • Gabe N Abby Mom
    Gabe N Abby Mom Member Posts: 2,413
    Options
    MAJW said:

Heard the same words....
    And I am sorry, Linda that you have heard them too....

I, too, am on Xeloda....I took it 5 days a week while having rads 5 days a week...the Xeloda intensifies the effects of the radiation, said my onc.......a fellow pink sister has just completed the same regiment....I started my UPPED dosage this morning...now taking 3 (1500 mg ) in the morning and 3 (1500 mg) in the evening...so 3000 mg total... I am on7 days and off 7 days.. During rads it was 2 in the morning and 2 in the evening....I understand taking chemo " at home" but better that than IV again...I had to laugh at the instructions...." use safety glasses and gloves"...yeah and I'm gonna swallow this!......I have to say, I have tolerated it very well...I take my anti nausea pill(Zofran) ...wait 30 minutes, then eat, then pop the pills....make sure you eat first....my Oncologist and oncology pharmacist said to pay particular attention to my hands and feet...a major se CAN be the hand and foot syndrome...oh joy! I put AQUAPHOR on my feet in the evening after my shower and until I go to bed socks or footies... I try to keep lotion on my hands....I am noticing some slight redness on my palms...so I guess it'll be gloves in the evening, too....lol

I was told the same thing about surgical removal of the nodes...I have two large clavicle nodes and elsewhere....but they have shrunk big time since I just finished last week 25 rads...I will continue the Xeloda for 8 weeks and then scans to see if it's working...more of the "waiting game"...

I so understand hearing stage IV metastatic bc...I about went to pieces....my oncologist "got onto me"....he said it's a number...forget the number...he said they now consider this a chronic disease, like any other chronic disease......why that made me feel better, I have no clue...but I know I will continue some type of treatment from now on....there is a clinical trial for TESETAXEL, phase II getting ready for phase III... I took two cycles of it...didn't work for me, but it is showing great promise for other women with stage IV...my oncologist is in on this...it is out of Sloan Kettering in New York....I am in North Carolina...

Wish I had some magical words to make you feel better, but I don't...all I can say is hang in there...I'm with you all the way! As are we all...
    Keep us posted...you know we care...
    Hugs, Nancy

Nancy thank you for the
    Nancy thank you for the practical tips! You are such an inspiration to me, and I have learned so much about how to deal with this monster from you.

I will look for the clinical trial and see if it might be a good fit for me. My doc is starting me at 3000mg/day (am and pm), and so far the only thing I'm noticing is that I burp more...

I've been following your progress with the clavical nodes, and am very happy you're done with the rads part. Please be sure and let us know when you have those next scans...you know I'll be on that bus for you too!
  • Gabe N Abby Mom
    Options

Linda,
    I type and then

Linda,

I type and then delete, type and then delete because I just don't know what to say. I cannot believe the poised, gracious posts you write although I know you must be in an emotional spin. I will keep you in daily prayer and trust you will defeat this beast day by day for MANY, MANY years. With great affection, admiration and prayer for you and your family.

Chickadee

Just that you keep me in
    Just that you keep me in your prayers is enough...it took me a while to find the words too. You know I have the same affection admiration and prayers for you too.

Hugs,

Linda
  • Gabe N Abby Mom
    Options
    dbhadra said:

Linda
    I am so sorry to hear this news.

For me, the xeloda was the easiest chemo yet, and I hope that will be the case for you as well.

Can I just say how very sick and tired I am off this horrible disease????

Laura

Yep...I'm sick and tired of
    Yep...I'm sick and tired of it too! And so far nothing much for side effects from the Xeloda...
  • Gabe N Abby Mom
    Options

Dear Linda,
    Sorry to say I'm not very good with words but want to let you know I'll be thinking about you as you begin this step of the journey. Staying positive is probably not going to save any of us, but I do think it helps us along the way. What did you finally find out about the "mystery spots" (as you called them) in your liver? That's very strange that they would show up on one scan and not another. Hoping Xeloda is your magic bullet, you're taking it on the same schedule as I did, 14 days on and seven off. Are you taking anything else in combination?

Stay strong both physically and mentally, it takes both to get through. Living life one day at a time is certainly the right mind set and attitude. I'll be praying for all of us and am sending you my best wishes. Marsha

I think you are absolutely
    I think you are absolutely right about staying positive...attitude alone isn't going to save me or stop the cancer. But I have long believed that I get to choose how I react and respond to any and every situation. And I know that complaining and whining aren't going to save me either, so I might as well enjoy what I do have.

That mystery spot (there's just one, whew!) is still a mystery...but I found out today that my markers are normal. So the onc and I will be watching that spot and the lymph nodes with scans. I'll let you know if the mystery is ever solved. And nothing else in combination with the Xeloda right now.

I pray for all of us also.
  • Gabe N Abby Mom
    Options
    Ya'll are making me
    Ya'll are making me blush...all those compliments...if you only knew how many times I re-read and edit.

Hugs,

Linda
  • Ticky
    Ticky Member Posts: 117
    Options
    mom62 said:

Stage 4
    Hi Linda,

I just wanted to let you know that I was originally diagnosed in 2003. It came back as stage 4 in 2009. I had surgery to remove my sternum and part of three of my ribs. I did chemo after. I live with bone mets but am on hormone therapy. It's been over two years for me so don't let yourself get down. Live life to the fullest, it is precious, but you still have plenty left. Don't let the words about your stage get to you. Best of luck with your chemo. I can't imagine taking pills either. Take care.

Terry

Praying

I am so sorry to hear your news. Your attitude is inspiring. I will be praying for you.

Hugs,

Ticky
  • ladyg
    ladyg Member Posts: 1,577
    Options
    Linda
    I am sorry to hear that your news was not good. I am glad to see that you are keeping a positive outlook. That is the best thing to do. I will keep you in my thoughts and send you lots of positive energy.

Hugs,
    Georgia
  • mckevnic
    mckevnic Member Posts: 71
    Options
    ladyg said:

Linda
    I am sorry to hear that your news was not good. I am glad to see that you are keeping a positive outlook. That is the best thing to do. I will keep you in my thoughts and send you lots of positive energy.

Hugs,
    Georgia

Linda
    You are a true inspiration! I'm sorry you are facing this stage IV, but want you to know you and your family are in my prayers. Keep the positive attitude!!
    Chris
  • catowner
    catowner Member Posts: 50
    Options
    next step
    Linda, my prayers will be for you hoping to get through this next step. Keep the positive attitude, it helps. My next step is chemo which starts on Oct 13th. Keep the strength and remember you have alot of people praying for you. Hugs galore, Debbie
  • Double Whammy
    Double Whammy Member Posts: 2,832 Member
    Options
    catowner said:

next step
    Linda, my prayers will be for you hoping to get through this next step. Keep the positive attitude, it helps. My next step is chemo which starts on Oct 13th. Keep the strength and remember you have alot of people praying for you. Hugs galore, Debbie

#$%#!!!!!!
    You know you've got my prayers added to those of many, many others. You now have a plan in place and already underway.

Lots of love, hugs, and prayers,
    Suzanne
  • skipper54
    skipper54 Member Posts: 936 Member
    Options

#$%#!!!!!!
    You know you've got my prayers added to those of many, many others. You now have a plan in place and already underway.

Lots of love, hugs, and prayers,
    Suzanne

Don't know what to say
    Will keep you in my prayers. You are amazingly strong - you stay so positive in your posts that I just know this will be okay. Peace pink sister!
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    Options
    VickiSam said:

such grace ...
    Linda .. I am amazed by you, and your attitude. I wish I had something to say that would make all your pain and fear go away, but I do not. May our Lord keep his hand on your during this time, providing comfort and strength to you and your extended family.

Wishing you the very best, continued health and prayers coming your way.

Strength, Courage and Hope.

Vicki Sam

Praying for you Linda.
    Hugs,

Praying for you Linda.

Hugs, Kylez
  • Pam5
    Pam5 Member Posts: 232
    Options
    skipper54 said:

Don't know what to say
    Will keep you in my prayers. You are amazingly strong - you stay so positive in your posts that I just know this will be okay. Peace pink sister!

Oh Lindagirl!
    I am so sorry

Oh Lindagirl!

I am so sorry I missed this post. I don't know where I was because I've been thinking of you ever since I knew you were going in that Friday. I have stage 4 recurrence lobular breast cancer but I just can't think about the number. I wake up every day and each day I feel better because I'm off the chemo and on the anastrazole. and for that I am grateful. You are one of the people who gives me hope and inspiration. I will keep you in my prayers and in my heart.

Take good care,
    Pam