question for Missrenee

Options
Annette 11
Annette 11 Member Posts: 380
edited September 2011 in Breast Cancer #1
Renee,
With your low wbc do you still mantain a somewhat normal life or do you try to avoid crowds? With a low wbc (2.8)would you take a vacation? I'm just nervous about having this count so low. I am going to the website that Kay suggested. Should we get protien powder? Yes Renee, I am so tired of worring about all of this, I just want my life back. Today as you can probably tell I'm feeling down. thank you for your thoughts. It helps so much.

Annette

Comments

• missrenee
    missrenee Member Posts: 2,136 Member
    Options
    Hi Annette
    I'm sorry you're feeling so scared about this. My WBC was very low (somewhere in the 2's) last December. Unfortunately, my father-in-law passed away during that time and my husband had to fly to NJ to the funeral by himself. I felt so badly for him. My onc. did not think it was a good idea to fly, but said I needed to decide for myself. I chose not to go. The funny thing was--I felt just fine.

All I can tell you is to check with your doctor regarding travel. Especially at this time of the year--everyone seems to be catching colds and there are already cases of the flu around. I am going to try to incorporate more protein in my diet--I know those protein drinks are good. Sometimes it's hard to get enough protein, especially since I'm not a real "meat hound." Also, since protein is so calorie-dense, it really wreaks havoc with me still trying to lose the weight I've gained. I haven't really stopped going out or changed my normal routine. Of course, if I see someone who looks or acts sick, I take off in the other direction.

I will continue to get the bloodwork--my next visit is in January. I figure if my onc. was really concerned, she'd be checking it more often than every 3-4 months. Of course, she did say, if anything comes up--to call her right away.

I do have an airplane trip planned on Tuesday for a week away. I'm just going to load up on my vitamins, try to eat right, get my exercise and hope not to be sitting next to a sniffling, coughing child!

Let me know how you're doing and what your doctor says you can do. Try to stay calm and positive. I really think we'll be fine.

Hugs, Renee
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    Options
    What is about Neulasta shot?
    it is not only for Chemo patients. Please talk to your doctor
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options

What is about Neulasta shot?
    it is not only for Chemo patients. Please talk to your doctor

Annette .. Just jumping in here ... I had issues
    regarding my WBC counts --. Difficult as it may sound for you to hear -- My Oncologist put me under 'house lock down', at least 1 to 2 weeks each month ... for about 6 months. Did this seem unfair, yes .. did it help along with my Neulasta shot -- yes.

My house lock down consisted of the following:

No shopping, grocery or mall
    No out to dinner, lunch or breakfast
    No entertaining in my home
    Limited exposure to the outside world -- my kids were in school, so they brought home enough gems.
    Lysol spray along with antibacterial wipes purchased by the case
    Wiped down my stair rails, door knobs, light switches, kitchen and bath water facets, -- every day. telephones, laptop keyboards also wiped down.

Frustrated and angry, I did what I could to PROTECT my Health. It was not fun, its not fair .. but it was necessary. We are all different, in my case chemo along with 8 major surgeries in 13 months was a little too much for my body to continually bounce back.

My Onco RN, whom herself is a breast cancer Survivor -- stated that 'red' lean meats would boost my iron and WBC counts .. I also snacked on almonds, raisins, cream of wheat, prime rib and steaks.

Please note: When my WBC counts started to go back up .. I gradually reintroduced myself to the public .. went shopping at Target or the grocery store .. early a.m. -- again, armed with tons of antibacterial wipes --

Please confer with your Oncologist and his/her staff .. see what they can suggest. A neulasta shot sounds like it should be given to you ... asap ..

Good luck ..

Vicki Sam
  • mamolady
    mamolady Member Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Travel
    Annette,
    I took a quick trip to visit my daughter just after I finished chemo. I made sure to carry hand sanitizer and disinfecting wipes and gloves. On the plane, before I sat down, I wiped down the entire seat area. The armrests, the chair, the tray I cleaned thoroughly. When I got to the hotel, I did the same thing. I did not let the maid clean during the time I was there. When I was out in public, my hands were usually in my pockets so I didn't touch as many things.
    Be sure to check with your doc first, but if you travel, travel safe!

Good luck,
    Cindy
  • Clementine_P
    Clementine_P Member Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    mamolady said:

Travel
    Annette,
    I took a quick trip to visit my daughter just after I finished chemo. I made sure to carry hand sanitizer and disinfecting wipes and gloves. On the plane, before I sat down, I wiped down the entire seat area. The armrests, the chair, the tray I cleaned thoroughly. When I got to the hotel, I did the same thing. I did not let the maid clean during the time I was there. When I was out in public, my hands were usually in my pockets so I didn't touch as many things.

Good luck,
    Cindy

Travel
    Right after I finished chemo, I took a trip to Italy. I think that my WBC was in the high 2s at that point. My oncologist gave me the green light. I had no problems whatsoever and didn't even wipe down seats or purell anything. We were certainly in crowds from time to time during the trip. I guess we are all different. It was a really fantastic trip and I am so glad that I went.

I would say for you to leave it up to your oncologist.

Best,
    Clementine
  • missrenee
    missrenee Member Posts: 2,136 Member
    Options

Travel
    Right after I finished chemo, I took a trip to Italy. I think that my WBC was in the high 2s at that point. My oncologist gave me the green light. I had no problems whatsoever and didn't even wipe down seats or purell anything. We were certainly in crowds from time to time during the trip. I guess we are all different. It was a really fantastic trip and I am so glad that I went.

I would say for you to leave it up to your oncologist.

Best,
    Clementine

I was admitted to the hospital for 5 days 2 weeks after my last chemo because I had a neutropenic fever--low WBC and infection somewhere in my body. It was the only chemo in which I had not had the Neulasta shot after. I asked my onc. why couldn't we just give me a Neulasta Injection or 2. He said Neulasta didn't work that way--it's only effective if given the day or 2 after chemo. Anyway, I got IV antibiotics and was fine.

Hugs, Renee
  • New Flower
    Options
    missrenee said:

I was admitted to the hospital for 5 days 2 weeks after my last chemo because I had a neutropenic fever--low WBC and infection somewhere in my body. It was the only chemo in which I had not had the Neulasta shot after. I asked my onc. why couldn't we just give me a Neulasta Injection or 2. He said Neulasta didn't work that way--it's only effective if given the day or 2 after chemo. Anyway, I got IV antibiotics and was fine.

Hugs, Renee

I Checked it out. There are
    I Checked it out. There are other uses for Neulasta, however it has been approved for patients undergoing Chemotherapy. Direct Quotation from FDA:Do not administer Neulasta between 14 days before and 24 hours after administration of cytotoxic chemotherapy. I guess you can still have it after 24 hours, however not several months after Chemo is finished. Blood infusion is an alternative option.You oncologist is the best source, please reach out l and find help.
    Hugs
  • Annette 11
    Options
    missrenee said:

Hi Annette
    I'm sorry you're feeling so scared about this. My WBC was very low (somewhere in the 2's) last December. Unfortunately, my father-in-law passed away during that time and my husband had to fly to NJ to the funeral by himself. I felt so badly for him. My onc. did not think it was a good idea to fly, but said I needed to decide for myself. I chose not to go. The funny thing was--I felt just fine.

All I can tell you is to check with your doctor regarding travel. Especially at this time of the year--everyone seems to be catching colds and there are already cases of the flu around. I am going to try to incorporate more protein in my diet--I know those protein drinks are good. Sometimes it's hard to get enough protein, especially since I'm not a real "meat hound." Also, since protein is so calorie-dense, it really wreaks havoc with me still trying to lose the weight I've gained. I haven't really stopped going out or changed my normal routine. Of course, if I see someone who looks or acts sick, I take off in the other direction.

I will continue to get the bloodwork--my next visit is in January. I figure if my onc. was really concerned, she'd be checking it more often than every 3-4 months. Of course, she did say, if anything comes up--to call her right away.

I do have an airplane trip planned on Tuesday for a week away. I'm just going to load up on my vitamins, try to eat right, get my exercise and hope not to be sitting next to a sniffling, coughing child!

Let me know how you're doing and what your doctor says you can do. Try to stay calm and positive. I really think we'll be fine.

Hugs, Renee

Thanks Renee
    I am going to try to relax about this. I will also get the whey protien powder...I could afford to put on a few lbs. since I lost 20 lbs. thru this BC journey. I still need to get my port taken out and Onc. is leaving that up to me and since the wbc was low I keep putting it off.
    I may purchase a healthy mushroom supplement from Sprouts. I haven't deceided yet. Does anyone take Shatakee mushroom supplement?? Or know if that would be a thing to do?
    Thanks,
    Hugs,
    Annette
  • Annette 11
    Options
    VickiSam said:

Annette .. Just jumping in here ... I had issues
    regarding my WBC counts --. Difficult as it may sound for you to hear -- My Oncologist put me under 'house lock down', at least 1 to 2 weeks each month ... for about 6 months. Did this seem unfair, yes .. did it help along with my Neulasta shot -- yes.

My house lock down consisted of the following:

No shopping, grocery or mall
    No out to dinner, lunch or breakfast
    No entertaining in my home
    Limited exposure to the outside world -- my kids were in school, so they brought home enough gems.
    Lysol spray along with antibacterial wipes purchased by the case
    Wiped down my stair rails, door knobs, light switches, kitchen and bath water facets, -- every day. telephones, laptop keyboards also wiped down.

Frustrated and angry, I did what I could to PROTECT my Health. It was not fun, its not fair .. but it was necessary. We are all different, in my case chemo along with 8 major surgeries in 13 months was a little too much for my body to continually bounce back.

My Onco RN, whom herself is a breast cancer Survivor -- stated that 'red' lean meats would boost my iron and WBC counts .. I also snacked on almonds, raisins, cream of wheat, prime rib and steaks.

Please note: When my WBC counts started to go back up .. I gradually reintroduced myself to the public .. went shopping at Target or the grocery store .. early a.m. -- again, armed with tons of antibacterial wipes --

Please confer with your Oncologist and his/her staff .. see what they can suggest. A neulasta shot sounds like it should be given to you ... asap ..

Good luck ..

Vicki Sam

Vicki Sam
    How low was your wbc when you were on lock down. He didn't tell me to stay home...yet. How long did it take for it to go up? Mine is 2.8...yours must have been lower?
    Thank you .
    Hugs,
    Annette
  • Annette 11
    Options
    mamolady said:

Travel
    Annette,

Good luck,
    Cindy

Cindy, Definetly all good
    Cindy, Definetly all good ideas. I will do that!!
    Thanks,
    Hugs,
  • Annette 11
    Options

I Checked it out. There are
    I Checked it out. There are other uses for Neulasta, however it has been approved for patients undergoing Chemotherapy. Direct Quotation from FDA:Do not administer Neulasta between 14 days before and 24 hours after administration of cytotoxic chemotherapy. I guess you can still have it after 24 hours, however not several months after Chemo is finished. Blood infusion is an alternative option.You oncologist is the best source, please reach out l and find help.
    Hugs

New flower
    OMG, I didn't know all that, especially that you can't get neulasta way after chemo is over.
    Thanks,
    Hugs,
  • New Flower
    Options

New flower
    OMG, I didn't know all that, especially that you can't get neulasta way after chemo is over.
    Thanks,
    Hugs,

Anetttte please check with your doctor
    I am not an oncologist. Please ask your oncologist about your options. I would rather be on the safe side and disinfect everything, than take my chances and get sick. Thank you , Cindy and Vicki for reminding me the way I should travel, while more than 2 years out of Chemo . I still run from infection people both children and adults.
    Hugs