any one else not wanting to do herceptin/arimidex

Options
I was diagnosed August 24, 2010 with IDC stage2B 7cm, ER+/PR- HER2+, grade 3. Nodes negative. Chose to have bilateral Mastectomy, profolactic mastectomy and oopherectomy. I do not carry the cancer gene. Had 4 rounds of adrimycin, did taxol for 12 weeks with herceptin for about 6 months. I have a few months of herceptin left and the arimidex. Do not like the side effects of either of these two medicines and am thinking of not taking either. Anyone out there decide not to finish their treatments? if so, how are you doing? Also anyone else who has same diagnosis have a different treatment option?

I am really just wanting to try and treat with diet and excercise, but of course my doctors are not happy with that decision. I am confused.

Comments

• MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    Your decision...
    Have no experience with these two drugs....wish I WERE a candidate for them... I'm not....triple negative here undergoing treatment again for a recurrence....there's nothing "preventative" for triple negative....so personally, I would opt for anything and everything to possibly prevent a recurrence...and personally, if diet and exercise would prevent a recurrence, I wouldn't be going through this again!

Wishing you well in making the decision, only you can make...
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    We're all different!
    I have a different DX - I'm IBC, ER+, HER2-. I did 4 A/C, surgery, 12 Taxol and 25 rads. Beig HER2-, Herceptin was not something for me. Also Arimi des was the drug of choice for me Femara is - I've been on it for 1 3/4 yrs with no SEs.

I have never given a thought to not doing everything that modern meds can offer me. There is no way I could face my Hubby (0f 35 years), Son or Grandaughter and tell them I didn't bother to do everythng possible to prevent mets. Because modern meds are used doesn't prevent using diet and exercise as a 'back up'. But in my case - diet and exercise did not prevent IBC in the first place so in my thoughts how is going to prevent re-occurances once it's in my body? Yes I do eat good and I do exercise and have basically all my life.

No one here can tell you what is 'right' for you - we can only give our experiences and thoughts.

Susan
  • Bella Luna
    Bella Luna Member Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    No Regrets
    I am triple positive( ER/PR,HER2 +) and two years out from diagnosis. I did Herceptin for a year and I am also taking Tamoxifen. You do what is comfortable for you.

I can tell you that I have no regrets doing Herceptin as I did everything that was recommended to fight and help with my recovery. I did not want to take any chances and, as much as I dreaded chemo/Herceptin, I decided to go the distance. I had side effects from the chemo, persevered through those. Herceptin, fortunately, had little, if any, side effects on me. That is just me, everyone is unique.

Best of luck with your journey.
    Ines
  • ginnyl
    ginnyl Member Posts: 38
    Options
    herceptin
    i have been on herceptin 11 years other then a headache the day i do it i am fine. Its your decision what u do and uyou are the only om]ne no that answer, chemo effects everyone differemtsurge
    I had adrimycin toxal nevelbeam . i had radiation and burt 2nd and 3rd, degrees Ihad surgery and i had reaccurance cancer ,and i have aevere lymphdeami in my left arm hand and chest. so a little herceptin not bad at all for me
  • Double Whammy
    Double Whammy Member Posts: 2,832 Member
    Options
    ginnyl said:

herceptin
    i have been on herceptin 11 years other then a headache the day i do it i am fine. Its your decision what u do and uyou are the only om]ne no that answer, chemo effects everyone differemtsurge
    I had adrimycin toxal nevelbeam . i had radiation and burt 2nd and 3rd, degrees Ihad surgery and i had reaccurance cancer ,and i have aevere lymphdeami in my left arm hand and chest. so a little herceptin not bad at all for me

Do your research and discuss with your oncologist
    Both drugs have been proven to increase survival rates. Only your oncologist can tell you what this means for your specific cancer and whether side effects can be managed. Remember my thread on biology determines everything? Your biology is different from mine and
    your cancer is different from mine. You will need to make a decision based on the known stats for others with your particular type of cancer, your oncologist's recommendations, and how your side effects are effecting you.

Good luck, but please don't make a decision based on our experiences and personal opinions because we're all different. Your decision will be what's best for YOU.

Suzanne
  • mckevnic
    mckevnic Member Posts: 71
    Options

Do your research and discuss with your oncologist
    Both drugs have been proven to increase survival rates. Only your oncologist can tell you what this means for your specific cancer and whether side effects can be managed. Remember my thread on biology determines everything? Your biology is different from mine and
    your cancer is different from mine. You will need to make a decision based on the known stats for others with your particular type of cancer, your oncologist's recommendations, and how your side effects are effecting you.

Good luck, but please don't make a decision based on our experiences and personal opinions because we're all different. Your decision will be what's best for YOU.

Suzanne

Hang in there
    I would encourage you to stick with it. As tough as it seems, it's best to just think you are fighting it with everything available. I also had a year of Herceptin but did not experience any symptoms. I am currently 9 months into my 5 yr plan of Arimidex. I have a few complaints about side effects (every day is a challenge) but I am convinced I NEED to stay on it. If you feel the side effects are too much to deal with, please ask your doctor for help! We are in this fight to win it! Don't give up.
    Chris
  • jendrey
    jendrey Member Posts: 377
    Options
    mckevnic said:

Hang in there
    I would encourage you to stick with it. As tough as it seems, it's best to just think you are fighting it with everything available. I also had a year of Herceptin but did not experience any symptoms. I am currently 9 months into my 5 yr plan of Arimidex. I have a few complaints about side effects (every day is a challenge) but I am convinced I NEED to stay on it. If you feel the side effects are too much to deal with, please ask your doctor for help! We are in this fight to win it! Don't give up.
    Chris

I have been given 5 or 6 prescriptions for tamoxifen and arimidex but refused to have them filled. I already have too many lingering side effects from the chemo which the oncologist is in denial about...I'm just not going to consider adding more side effects for what I personally perceive to be of little benefit for my particular cancer. Some of the reason is because ANY side effects just will not be addressed by the oncologist. And if there's one thing these drugs are known for, it's the harrowing side effects that some, but not all, women experience. But, that's just me.

I don't have any kids or a husband and I can't remember when I last talked to a family member.

You have to decide if the trade-off is worth it to you. You could always give them a trial run!

(((Hugs)))
  • BetsyJane
    BetsyJane Member Posts: 127
    Options
    jendrey said:

I have been given 5 or 6 prescriptions for tamoxifen and arimidex but refused to have them filled. I already have too many lingering side effects from the chemo which the oncologist is in denial about...I'm just not going to consider adding more side effects for what I personally perceive to be of little benefit for my particular cancer. Some of the reason is because ANY side effects just will not be addressed by the oncologist. And if there's one thing these drugs are known for, it's the harrowing side effects that some, but not all, women experience. But, that's just me.

I don't have any kids or a husband and I can't remember when I last talked to a family member.

You have to decide if the trade-off is worth it to you. You could always give them a trial run!

(((Hugs)))

E+ P+ HER+ -
    I am stage II, grade 3. E+, P+, HER+. Starting January 2011: I had lumpectomy. Cancer had spread to two out of 9 nodes. I didn't have clean margins so had to get 2nd operation (clean report after 2nd operation). My 3rd operation consisted of having a port put in. I had a mammo about one month ago which showed microcalcifications...so I got 4th operation two weeks ago to take the microcalcificaitons. Thank goodness they were benign.

I finished chemo in June (AC followed by T). Last part of chemo treatment, I was started on Herceptin and must continue on Herceptin for one year. So far, no side affects from Herceptin.

I will start radiation treatments once my incision heals. Doctor wants me to take Arimidex for five years. I am very afraid to take this drug. He actually wanted me to take it while I was getting radiation treatments. There is NO WAY I am going to take Arimidex while on radiation and Herceptin treatments. I am still trying to recouperate from the 4 operations plus chemo since January.....it's just too much on ones body. I will try Arimidex AFTER my radiation treatment ends and see what side affects I get from it. If they aren't too bad, I will continue. If they get too bad, I will stop taking the Arimidex and will try Femora.