Ear Problems: Wax or Loss or What

Options
Over the past couple of weeks, my right ear will "pop" or become unplugged when I wake up in the morning and suddenly I can hear better. Having sinus problems and previous ear wax problems, I attributed it to that. Now, it isn't becoming unplugged and I'm hearing less.

I also had two rounds of Cisplatin with some ringing in the ears after both rounds. Never too bad and it went away.

So now I can't decide whether it is a radiation/chemo side effect of hearing loss or side effect of increased ear wax. I'm in between GPs, so I can't decide whether I should go to the oncologist, my ENT, or just continue OTC treatment for ear wax. It's the problem of having too many doctors, not enough doctors, and uncertainty about wasting ENT or oncologist's time with ear wax.

What's been your experience with ear wax, which is allegedly a side effect.

Comments

• Skiffin16
    Skiffin16 Member Posts: 8,305 Member
    Options
    My Thoughts
    Since you said it went away after your treatment, I'd presume it's not related to chemo or radiation.

I too get stuffy eared or water trapped in my ears occasionally. It's usually always due just that water usually. But I do have excess wax at times and have even resorted to the solutions to help flush it out.

Pretty much anymore I just let warm water run in them while in the shower and that seems to have helped maintain a clear canal for the most part.

I've always had associated problems due to small ear canals.

Best,
    John
  • Greend
    Greend Member Posts: 678
    Options
    Ear problem
    I have the same in my right ear. I found that the buildup in my throat does something and make me feel like I'm on an airplane (pressure). I don't have a single solution. Sometimes I can use saline nasal spray and break it loose and oter times breathing in staem will do the job and there have been times I have a serious coughing spell to brealk loose the mucus and that wil do the job. In my case I can't wear my right hearing aid because it is too uncomfortable most of the time.

I too thought it was wax for the longest time.
  • sweetblood22
    sweetblood22 Member Posts: 3,228
    Options
    It's hard to say what it is.
    It's hard to say what it is. Some of our merry band have hearing loss because of chemo, some have the ear wax thing going on, and some have eustachian tube issues. I have been struggling with the latter since the beginning of July. I am waiting to get ear tubes. Apparently a side effect of radiation. So, it could be fluid in your ear also. Mine pop and click all the time.

If you can get an appointment with your ENT I would say go for it because you really don't know what it is and would need it evaluated to find out. I had to go to my GP three times before I could get in with the ENT. Don't even get me started there.

At the bottom of this article, it talks about HNC and radiation issues.

EAR TUBE LINK
  • Hal61
    Hal61 Member Posts: 655
    Options
    Same effects for me
    Marty, I had the same results after each of my first two rounds of Cisplatin chemo. Ringing in the ears--I felt like I was hearing things from inside a metal drum--but it went away. My result, which occurred 4 to five months after treatment, was considerable hearing loss and tinnitus to the point I have been granted SS disability status. Many of my days are very loud. I would corner my medical onc, and tell him your symptoms in detail. I would also suggest you ask him if a different chemo drug, like Carboplatin, Taxotrene, Erbutox, might be an alternative for the final round. What are the stats on the effectiveness of switching to one of these alternatives for the final round. I have a feeling that the last round of Cisplatin did the permanent damage for me. That doesn't happen to most, even with three Cisplatin rounds, but it you are getting ringing, "metal drum" hearing of temporary hearing loss at this point, it's worth asking in my opinion.
    best, Hal
  • Marty36
    Marty36 Member Posts: 84
    Options
    Hal61 said:

Same effects for me
    Marty, I had the same results after each of my first two rounds of Cisplatin chemo. Ringing in the ears--I felt like I was hearing things from inside a metal drum--but it went away. My result, which occurred 4 to five months after treatment, was considerable hearing loss and tinnitus to the point I have been granted SS disability status. Many of my days are very loud. I would corner my medical onc, and tell him your symptoms in detail. I would also suggest you ask him if a different chemo drug, like Carboplatin, Taxotrene, Erbutox, might be an alternative for the final round. What are the stats on the effectiveness of switching to one of these alternatives for the final round. I have a feeling that the last round of Cisplatin did the permanent damage for me. That doesn't happen to most, even with three Cisplatin rounds, but it you are getting ringing, "metal drum" hearing of temporary hearing loss at this point, it's worth asking in my opinion.
    best, Hal

Thanks. My oncologist only
    Thanks. My oncologist only went with two rounds, so I'm done with the chemo. I do need to go to someone this week, probably my ENT.

On the two rounds, he said the research shows that many people don't finish the three rounds because it makes them so sick and that there isn't a significant difference in outcomes for people who do two and three rounds of Cisplatin. Of course, it depends on a lot of other factors.
  • Hondo
    Hondo Member Posts: 6,636 Member
    Options
    Hi Marty
    My hearing was damaged by the radiation not the chemo, the right ear drum in pushed in so it don’t beat correctly and sound it distorted. Sometimes I can put pressure in my nasal area and push it back out and I can hear again. I was told by my ENT that the right ear could be fixed but with all the radiation I took it may never heal, so it is something I just need to learn to live with. On the other left ear I am missing 1/3 of the ear drum so no hope to ever fix it.

Hondo
  • D Lewis
    D Lewis Member Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options

It's hard to say what it is.
    It's hard to say what it is. Some of our merry band have hearing loss because of chemo, some have the ear wax thing going on, and some have eustachian tube issues. I have been struggling with the latter since the beginning of July. I am waiting to get ear tubes. Apparently a side effect of radiation. So, it could be fluid in your ear also. Mine pop and click all the time.

If you can get an appointment with your ENT I would say go for it because you really don't know what it is and would need it evaluated to find out. I had to go to my GP three times before I could get in with the ENT. Don't even get me started there.

At the bottom of this article, it talks about HNC and radiation issues.

EAR TUBE LINK

I resemble these remarks about eustachian tubes.
    I still have a lot of edema, 16 months out from treatment, and it is usually accompanied by effects such as ear stuffiness, blockage, popping, clicking, and even an occasional squeal. Eeek. Sometimes my hearing is a bit muffled. Then it goes away. It is the most noticable during those times (usually early morning) when my whole neck and chin area are puffed up with edema.

My ENTs peered into my ears and then pointed out that if it was eustachian tubes, they really wouldn't be able to see it. Duh. Since it is so intermittent, I'm not considering ear tubes at this point.

Deb