How to do a flush

Options
Rague
Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
edited September 2011 in Breast Cancer #1
I 'taught' an RN how to do a flush today LOL YUP - today was my day for a flush and I had an RN I've never had before - turned out he'd never done a flush in his 30+ years as an RN. It was sort of funny - he had printed out the VA protocol for doing one and was reading it out loud. Yeah we both survived it,

He tried so hard and learned a lot - good that he had a 'veteran' to guide him through it. I think the funniest thing was how he almost completely draped me.

Comments

• VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options
    Rague -- Your 'Port' right??
    When I contact a staph infection while vacationing at the Grand Canyon -- I ended up in the hospital for 5 days, followed by emergency surgery to remove my right fully expanded tissue expander -- while recovering -- I needed my port flushed and because I was not located on the Oncology floor 3 -- RN's tried to flush my port -- eventually calling an RN from Oncology to come and flush me .. Weird O Rama -- I was under the impression that all Rn's knew how to flush a port -- I was mistaken, imagine my surprise.

M E M O R I E S ...and good times.

Vicki Sam
  • Rague
    Options
    VickiSam said:

Rague -- Your 'Port' right??
    When I contact a staph infection while vacationing at the Grand Canyon -- I ended up in the hospital for 5 days, followed by emergency surgery to remove my right fully expanded tissue expander -- while recovering -- I needed my port flushed and because I was not located on the Oncology floor 3 -- RN's tried to flush my port -- eventually calling an RN from Oncology to come and flush me .. Weird O Rama -- I was under the impression that all Rn's knew how to flush a port -- I was mistaken, imagine my surprise.

M E M O R I E S ...and good times.

Vicki Sam

Port -Sorry I wasn't clear
    Sorry I wasn't more explicit - yes monthly port flush.

My first experience with RN's that had no clue was when I had my CT the day of last Taxol and a week before starting rads. They thought it was great to be able to do something 'different' so instead of just hitting my arm vein they decided to use my port (this was in the hospital). They had no numbing spray so it hurt BAD. They called over to CCI several times and were finally told to just send me back go them for my Taxol when they finished my scan and they'd take care of it. I no longer have my flushes done at CCI but at my local VA clinic.

Apparently Unless you're involved with issues that deal with ports - it's not something that most RN's actually have experience with. He's not the first newbie whose done my flush but he's the first who wa allowed to do it all on his own - but then all the usaul RN's know that I know what needs to be done and how to do it.
  • mamolady
    mamolady Member Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Rague said:

Port -Sorry I wasn't clear
    Sorry I wasn't more explicit - yes monthly port flush.

My first experience with RN's that had no clue was when I had my CT the day of last Taxol and a week before starting rads. They thought it was great to be able to do something 'different' so instead of just hitting my arm vein they decided to use my port (this was in the hospital). They had no numbing spray so it hurt BAD. They called over to CCI several times and were finally told to just send me back go them for my Taxol when they finished my scan and they'd take care of it. I no longer have my flushes done at CCI but at my local VA clinic.

Apparently Unless you're involved with issues that deal with ports - it's not something that most RN's actually have experience with. He's not the first newbie whose done my flush but he's the first who wa allowed to do it all on his own - but then all the usaul RN's know that I know what needs to be done and how to do it.

CT and ports
    When I worked in CT, we weren't allowed to use the port for the injection. My understanding was that only oncology is supposed to touch them. They don't want others to mess them up.

C
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    mamolady said:

CT and ports
    When I worked in CT, we weren't allowed to use the port for the injection. My understanding was that only oncology is supposed to touch them. They don't want others to mess them up.

C

I am an RN snad dont know
    I am an RN snad dont know how to access a port. I dont use them in my practice. I have de acessed it them before. I did a small stint in radiology and they did use them on kids who needed contrast ofr MRIs or Ct these were kids on chemo, and they could not deal with being stuck.
  • camul
    camul Member Posts: 2,537
    Options
    I learned with my first tests
    following getting the port, that the Pet and CT people did not know how to access the ports. They called up 3 RN's from day surgery who couldn't do it, then tried to find a vein. After about an hour and a half, they got someone from oncology and it took her about 2 minutes. Now I go to my onco and get accessed b4 any tests. They can deport, but I had to walk them through the flush! Had to laugh!

It is not such a hard thing, but it sure was frustrating, especially when they wouldn't listen and blew out 4 veins b4 they would even get a nurse.
  • Rague
    Options
    mamolady said:

CT and ports

C

I was told that only RN's
    I was told that only RN's and MD's can access ports (well I guess NP's and PA's could also) but when he put it in, the Surgeon said that it could be used for blood draws and dye injections and can be used by paramedics if you're in an accident as it'd possibly be quicker and easier to establish a line that hitting a vein. I asked early on almost every time I had a scan or anything if they wanted to use my port and the standard answer was "No - you have great veins.". The one time I didn't mention having the port (when I went for colonoscopy) until she had the needle in vein - she'd have used the port.

Though I don't mind sticks - I've been kinda cheating when I go for them now (if I think about it in time) - I use a little of my EMLA cream on the area and you don't even feel it at all.

Susan
  • jendrey
    jendrey Member Posts: 377
    Options
    camul said:

I learned with my first tests
    following getting the port, that the Pet and CT people did not know how to access the ports. They called up 3 RN's from day surgery who couldn't do it, then tried to find a vein. After about an hour and a half, they got someone from oncology and it took her about 2 minutes. Now I go to my onco and get accessed b4 any tests. They can deport, but I had to walk them through the flush! Had to laugh!

It is not such a hard thing, but it sure was frustrating, especially when they wouldn't listen and blew out 4 veins b4 they would even get a nurse.

You too funny. I doubt if I would've been so willing to give a newbie the chance that you did. Not when it comes to the port anyway. Other than that I'm usually the one who initiates the contact with the residents/students. Usually, I'd invite them to feel the area themselves. Judging by their response this is apparently something of a rarity. But I'd draw the line when it comes to accessing the port.

Good for you to be so adventurous!!!

(((Hugs)))
  • dbhadra
    dbhadra Member Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    jendrey said:

You too funny. I doubt if I would've been so willing to give a newbie the chance that you did. Not when it comes to the port anyway. Other than that I'm usually the one who initiates the contact with the residents/students. Usually, I'd invite them to feel the area themselves. Judging by their response this is apparently something of a rarity. But I'd draw the line when it comes to accessing the port.

Good for you to be so adventurous!!!

(((Hugs)))

I've beem getting weekly blood draws
    While on xeloda and radiation. The lab tech couldn't access my port OR my arm veins (my "good" veins are on my surgery side so can no longer be used). Apparently they are not allowed by some complex hospital rule to do ports....anyway he ended up taking blood from my left hand every time...actually easier than the arm vein. Always a new adventure.....

Btw how often do you get flushed ? I need to set up a schedule; was getting accessed regularly for chemo before so wasn't an issue....but thigh not currently in chemo, I am not feeling optimistic enough to get my port out...and probably won't for awhile .

Laura