phrase: BATTLED Cancer

Options
disneyfan2008
disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
Just curious-I had life time friend who died just over year ago from cancer (about her 3-4 x with treatments etc) She made sure no one said or put in her OBIT she battled cancer! She was very upbeat-never complained but she did NOT like "Battled"
so what's your own personal opinion? no right or wrong reply of course

Denise

Comments

• skipper54
    skipper54 Member Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    don't mind battled just don't like "lost battle"
    I'm not a loser!
  • Pam5
    Pam5 Member Posts: 232
    Options
    skipper54 said:

don't mind battled just don't like "lost battle"
    I'm not a loser!

I personally don't use he
    I personally don't use he word "battled". I think of it more like I'm realigning my body so that the cancer can leave.
  • camul
    camul Member Posts: 2,537
    Options
    I too don't like battled, or
    I too don't like battled, or battled but lost, or a valiant battle fought with dignity... and lost. As I have not lost. I personally feel that everyday that I wake up is another day that the beast was kept at bay. This journey and the chemo sucks, but I am still alive and live to the best of my ability on that day.

Mine will say that I lived with this disease for however long, but never gave up on living. Than ask that everyone celebrate my life with love, good memories, and laughter. I want a big party filled with laughter not all tears.
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    To me - an Obit. is to tell
    To me - an Obit. is to tell the positive about ones life. Certainly fighing the fight is a positive but not something I'd want put in it. I've had many fights/battles in my live - they were mine to fight - personal and private.

No I would not want anything written about my journey with IBC posted. Anyone who matters would already know.

Susan
  • disneyfan2008
    Options
    Rague said:

To me - an Obit. is to tell
    To me - an Obit. is to tell the positive about ones life. Certainly fighing the fight is a positive but not something I'd want put in it. I've had many fights/battles in my live - they were mine to fight - personal and private.

No I would not want anything written about my journey with IBC posted. Anyone who matters would already know.

Susan

I so agree with all above comments..
    you all hit the nail on the head...

Denise
  • Marsha Mulvey
    Marsha Mulvey Member Posts: 597 Member
    Options

I so agree with all above comments..
    you all hit the nail on the head...

Denise

It really
    doesn't matter to me what they write in the obituary, but I'll be the first to admit I'm in a battle. What others call it doesn't matter to me. Every single day, I fight to live my life as closely to normal as possible - and enjoy it.
    Marsha
  • LoveBabyJesus
    LoveBabyJesus Member Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    No thanks...
    Hi Denise - Hope you're feeling and doing great.

No, I don't want anything related to the c on my orbit. I want it to say something good and happy. I think life in general is a battle, in order to survive. We have battles at work, at home, in relationships, etc..But we don't mention those. c is just one of those challenges some of us have have to face and pray to God we will overcome it, like we overcome the other situations in our lives.
  • laughs_a_lot
    laughs_a_lot Member Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Not too concerned
    I guess if I died of cancer it would be ok to say I battled cancer. But if I die of anything else then the cancer battle is not for the obit.
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Options
    I always think that obits don't need detail.....
    ....more the highlights of a person's life....

I want to have the old saying included in mine:

Instead of floating sedately to the pearly gates, Kathi slid in, body all used up, with a glass of wine in one hand, a piece of chocolate in the other, a big smile lighting her face, and was heard to exclaim "WOW! WHAT a RIDE!!!!"

Hugs, Kathi

(I already wrote my own obit....it's safely stored with my will and advanced directive).
  • disneyfan2008
    Options

No thanks...

No, I don't want anything related to the c on my orbit. I want it to say something good and happy. I think life in general is a battle, in order to survive. We have battles at work, at home, in relationships, etc..But we don't mention those. c is just one of those challenges some of us have have to face and pray to God we will overcome it, like we overcome the other situations in our lives.

very good point!
    Denise

very good point!

Denise
  • disneyfan2008
    Options

No thanks...

very good point!
    Denise

very good point!

Denise
  • disneyfan2008
    Options
    KathiM said:

I always think that obits don't need detail.....
    ....more the highlights of a person's life....

I want to have the old saying included in mine:

Instead of floating sedately to the pearly gates, Kathi slid in, body all used up, with a glass of wine in one hand, a piece of chocolate in the other, a big smile lighting her face, and was heard to exclaim "WOW! WHAT a RIDE!!!!"

Hugs, Kathi

(I already wrote my own obit....it's safely stored with my will and advanced directive).

my mom too pre-wrote her
    my mom too pre-wrote her obit! she wanted it HER WAY...hehe...
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options

my mom too pre-wrote her
    my mom too pre-wrote her obit! she wanted it HER WAY...hehe...

Hmmmm....
    In the big scheme of things does it honestly matter? Personally, I am in a battle....to save my life....at least for a while longer...what else would one call it?

Wishing all a good, peaceful day...
    Nancy
  • mollieb
    mollieb Member Posts: 148
    Options
    My Battle
    I don't feel like I am battling cancer. Surgery, drugs, and radiation are battling in my body. Myself, I battle fatigue. I battle fear. I battle my own worst nature that wants to give myself too many breaks because "I have cancer." I battle the temptation to make my life about cancer instead of about things with a more positive return. I wouldn't mind if my obituary said I died of cancer, but I would rather have it focus on my battle to be a good person in a complex world than on my battle to stay alive.
  • mamolady
    mamolady Member Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Denise, My sister did die of
    Denise,
    My sister did die of breast cancer and I don't even remember if we talked about that. Most of the people talked about how they knew her. If they did talk about the cancer, it was not memorable, if that makes a difference.
    I don't know how I would feel about that, now you have given me some thing to ponder.....
    Cindy

ps - The only thing she wanted at her funeral/memorial was game night. She loved to play games.
  • sea60
    sea60 Member Posts: 2,613
    Options
    Hey Denise!
    I'm not a fan of the word "battled" however, I do feel I went through war. Cancer is the ultimate assault on your body, mind and spirit for sure! I know that I've also shunned the word "courageous" as I didn't elect to go a few rounds with this beast willingly. I have seen the 2 words go hand in hand..."She courageously battled..."

This is a good post. I'd have to think about what words I would want. But not anytime soon hopefully.