Metformin - Clinical Trial Phase III

Options
mamolady
mamolady Member Posts: 796 Member
edited September 2011 in Breast Cancer #1
Is anybody on a clinical trial with metformin as a preventative for mets?
My oncologist wants to start me on the Phase 3 trial. Any information would be greatly appreciated. I would still stay on Arimidex.

Cindy

******* If anyone is interested, you have to start the trial with in 1 year of initial diagnosis. This is a phase III trial. *****

Comments

• New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    Options
    I have googled it, not sure why
    Metformin (INN, pronounced /mɛtˈfɔrmɨn/, met-fawr-min; originally sold as Glucophage) is an oral antidiabetic drug in the biguanide class. It is the first-line drug of choice for the treatment of type 2 diabetes, in particular, in overweight and obese people and those with normal kidney function.[1][2][3] Evidence is also mounting for its efficacy in gestational diabetes, although safety concerns still preclude its widespread use in this setting. It is also used in the treatment of polycystic ovary syndrome, and has been investigated for other diseases where insulin resistance may be an important factor.
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options

I have googled it, not sure why
    Metformin (INN, pronounced /mɛtˈfɔrmɨn/, met-fawr-min; originally sold as Glucophage) is an oral antidiabetic drug in the biguanide class. It is the first-line drug of choice for the treatment of type 2 diabetes, in particular, in overweight and obese people and those with normal kidney function.[1][2][3] Evidence is also mounting for its efficacy in gestational diabetes, although safety concerns still preclude its widespread use in this setting. It is also used in the treatment of polycystic ovary syndrome, and has been investigated for other diseases where insulin resistance may be an important factor.

My husband took this...
    For type II diabetes.....so, obviously it's FDA approved....He wasn't over weight when he started but It piled the pounds on him and his endocrinologist took him off....never heard of this to prevent recurrence...but if it's in phase III seems it's ready to go...but I would imagine women taking this would have to be followed for years....who's doing the study?

Keep us posted, please....
  • mamolady
    mamolady Member Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Metformin

This is what I got when I googled "metformin, breast cancer"
    http://www.breastcancer.org/treatment/chemotherapy/new_research/20080606b.jsp

I am not sure if you can load the following website. Dr Pan is one of the oncologists at Kaiser Santa Clara.

http://kpsantaclaracancercare.org/news_events/blog/2011oct.php

I was hoping some one else has been offered or started the trial.
    Cindy
  • Lighthouse_7
    Lighthouse_7 Member Posts: 1,566 Member
    Options
    mamolady said:

Metformin

This is what I got when I googled "metformin, breast cancer"
    http://www.breastcancer.org/treatment/chemotherapy/new_research/20080606b.jsp

I am not sure if you can load the following website. Dr Pan is one of the oncologists at Kaiser Santa Clara.

http://kpsantaclaracancercare.org/news_events/blog/2011oct.php

I was hoping some one else has been offered or started the trial.
    Cindy

Husband lost a lot of weight
    on this. I always joked that I should take it to shed these extra pounds, but now I might be able too! He takes it for Type 11 diabetes.
    I'll have to research it.
    Thanks,
    Wanda
  • Sunrae
    Sunrae Member Posts: 808
    Options

Husband lost a lot of weight
    on this. I always joked that I should take it to shed these extra pounds, but now I might be able too! He takes it for Type 11 diabetes.
    I'll have to research it.
    Thanks,
    Wanda

I have taken metformin for
    I have taken metformin for years for type 2 diabetes and I mentioned this to my onc when I first found out I had bc. She said it might be a good thing because of the trials going on but so far I'm not sure whether it helps or not. Maybe you would have to be on a heavy regimen of metformin. Sure hope it is a good thing and hope we find out quickly the outcome for this.