My first delay in treatment :(

Options
I was scheduled for treatment number 5 today. However, my platelets were at 59, so it will be delayed until next week. A chemo nurse said that they should be back up next week. My white and blood counts were fine. I wonder how many women do get through all 6 of these treatments without any delays?

Hope all of you are having a great day.

Carla

Comments

• lindaprocopio
    lindaprocopio Member Posts: 1,980
    Options
    I had delays each of my last 3 rounds of carbo/taxol.
    I think delays are pretty common once you get deeper into your treatment protocol. I had delays each of my last 3 carbo/taxol rounds during my 1st line chemo. In fact I even had to have blood transfusions for the last 2 in addition to the delays. I've had TONS of chemo since then, with many delays due to low counts, lots of Nuelasta & Neupogen shots, and my share of transfusions. I remember crying when it happened to me the 1st time. You get used to it as just a part of how unique each person & each person's cancer truly is. Your body is setting the pace for you, and I hope you can relax and not let it stress you. 58 for platelets isn't that bad and enough that you can probably bounce back pretty quickly; I'll bet you are able to get chemo next week. Although 58 isn't super low (my platelets dropped to 10 once, requiring an immediate emergency transfusion within an hour after lab results were in), you do want to be careful not to do any heavy lifting or to strain during a bowel movement, stuff like that, to protect against internal bleeds. Try not to mindlessly scratch an itch as you can bruise and tear up your skin with very little pressure. (I clawed & bruised up myself up before I knew my platelets were so scary low, without even thinking.) (((hugs)))
  • Tethys41
    Tethys41 Member Posts: 1,382 Member
    Options
    Have I mentioned
    That two tablespoons of tahini butter taken daily will keep your platelets up?
  • carolenk
    carolenk Member Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    Tethys41 said:

Have I mentioned

Delayed chemo
    I had two major breaks while I was going thru chemo (for low neutrophils)--the CA-125 kept dropping while I was on the break (first break was 6 weeks and the second break was for 3 weeks). I should mention that I was getting IV vitamin C treatments while I was on break.

Carolen
  • mom2greatkids
    mom2greatkids Member Posts: 528
    Options
    Tethys41 said:

Have I mentioned

I haven't been able to find
    I haven't been able to find tahini butter anywhere around here. Where do you get yours from?
  • Tethys41
    Tethys41 Member Posts: 1,382 Member
    Options

I haven't been able to find
    I haven't been able to find tahini butter anywhere around here. Where do you get yours from?

Tahini Butter
    If you have any health food stores around, they should sell it. Otherwise, you may have to order it online. You can buy it from Amazon.
    http://www.amazon.com/Artisana-Organic-Raw-Tahini-16oz/dp/B000WVYB5M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1316554733&sr=8-1
  • jbeans888
    jbeans888 Member Posts: 313
    Options
    Tethys41 said:

Tahini Butter
    If you have any health food stores around, they should sell it. Otherwise, you may have to order it online. You can buy it from Amazon.
    http://www.amazon.com/Artisana-Organic-Raw-Tahini-16oz/dp/B000WVYB5M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1316554733&sr=8-1

Tahini
    Carla,
    Tahini is Greek so if you have any gyro places around they may sell it. We have one in my town and they sell Tahini butter and it's good.