Recommendation for Skin Cream After Radiation?

Options
bkmils
bkmils Member Posts: 8
Hi My mom just finished radiation treatments and she is experiencing burning, itchy and dryness on her breast, under her armpits and alittle below her neck area. The doctor recommended aquaphor but she says it isn't really working and makes her skin more dry. Has anyone had this experience and if so, do you have any recommendations on what she can use to ease the burning and dryness?

Thank you!

Comments

• MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    Ask...
    Her radiation oncologist for Biofine...she should have been using this or a similar prescribed cream all along....this has healing properties in it...give her physician's office a call....

Hoping she feels better soon.....
  • bkmils
    Options
    MAJW said:

Ask...
    Her radiation oncologist for Biofine...she should have been using this or a similar prescribed cream all along....this has healing properties in it...give her physician's office a call....

Hoping she feels better soon.....

Biofine
    Her Radiologist Oncologist did prescribe a cream during radiation, however, for some reason it's not really working...
  • butterflylvr
    butterflylvr Member Posts: 944
    Options
    bkmils said:

Biofine
    Her Radiologist Oncologist did prescribe a cream during radiation, however, for some reason it's not really working...

I burned during radiation.
    I burned during radiation. Ask your mom's radiation oncologist about Silver sulfadiazine. Bear in mind I had blisters as well and this stuff was amazing...I was healing up within a week or two. I also used aquaphor at night, but really, really lather it on..

Here is a link to copy and paste to research if maybe this might help your mom...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0000724/

Hugs,
    Lorrie
  • bkmils
    Options

I burned during radiation. Ask your mom's radiation oncologist about Silver sulfadiazine. Bear in mind I had blisters as well and this stuff was amazing...I was healing up within a week or two. I also used aquaphor at night, but really, really lather it on..

Here is a link to copy and paste to research if maybe this might help your mom...

Hugs,
    Lorrie

Thank you Lorrie!
    Thanks for the recommendation, I forgot to mention that she also has blisters. I spoke with the radiation oncologist and was told that it will take atleast two weeks to heal with Aquaphor. I will ask about Silver Sulfadiazine.
  • bkmils
    Options

Hugs,
    Lorrie

• Tux
    Tux Member Posts: 544
    Options
    rads burns
    My onc nurse had me get "Domeboro soaks" from the drugstore (no prescription),
    I used the soaks 3x a day & the healing was quick! I used birdseye (diaper) fabric
    from the fabric store for the soaks. Did not have to miss a day of work or go without a bra! The nurse wanted me to use guaze for the soaks, but I am very "generous" in size & the squares of diaper fabric worked better.

Also, I lined my bra (cotton bra from Just My Size) with flannel squares from the fabric store. Hope some of our ideas will help.
  • butterflylvr
    butterflylvr Member Posts: 944
    Options
    Tux said:

rads burns
    My onc nurse had me get "Domeboro soaks" from the drugstore (no prescription),
    I used the soaks 3x a day & the healing was quick! I used birdseye (diaper) fabric
    from the fabric store for the soaks. Did not have to miss a day of work or go without a bra! The nurse wanted me to use guaze for the soaks, but I am very "generous" in size & the squares of diaper fabric worked better.

Also, I lined my bra (cotton bra from Just My Size) with flannel squares from the fabric store. Hope some of our ideas will help.

You are welcome bkmils. The
    You are welcome bkmils. The cream actually comes in a tub (like the aquaphor), so when you lather it on it's like a thick white lotion. I lathered it on generously and allowed it to air dry. It feels nice and cool on the skin and when it dries it's almost leaves a slight silver color. I guess it's used a lot with burns and other surface wounds. Give your mother my best and have her join our board so we can get to meet her personally. What a dear daughter you are to take care of her...

Hugs to you both,
    Lorrie
  • dbhadra
    dbhadra Member Posts: 344 Member
    Options

You are welcome bkmils. The
    You are welcome bkmils. The cream actually comes in a tub (like the aquaphor), so when you lather it on it's like a thick white lotion. I lathered it on generously and allowed it to air dry. It feels nice and cool on the skin and when it dries it's almost leaves a slight silver color. I guess it's used a lot with burns and other surface wounds. Give your mother my best and have her join our board so we can get to meet her personally. What a dear daughter you are to take care of her...

Hugs to you both,
    Lorrie

silver nitrate (sulfa) prescription is very good
    Calendula (available at Whole Foods) is also good.

Aquaphor didn;t work that well for me either.

Hope your mom's skin heals soon,
    Laura
  • Double Whammy
    Double Whammy Member Posts: 2,832 Member
    Options
    dbhadra said:

silver nitrate (sulfa) prescription is very good
    Calendula (available at Whole Foods) is also good.

Aquaphor didn;t work that well for me either.

Hope your mom's skin heals soon,
    Laura

Miaderm
    I was told to use Miaderm http://miaderm.com/about.html for one month after radiation. You can only get this online (why?). It was formulated by a radiation oncologist.
    Suzanne
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    Options
    I can't remember the name
    I can't remember the name but my cancer center gave me many/ more then enough samples...

Denise
  • skipper54
    skipper54 Member Posts: 936 Member
    Options

I can't remember the name
    I can't remember the name but my cancer center gave me many/ more then enough samples...

Denise

samples didn't work for me so was told to use Neosporin + pain
    relief while the blisters were there, then switdched to Gold Bond ultimate soothing.
  • Dobielynn
    Dobielynn Member Posts: 17
    Options
    I FOUND THE BEST STUFF
    HI,
    I FOUND THE BEST STUFF I CAN'T REMEMBER WHO TOLD ME ABOUT IT.

IT'S CALLED "LINDI" IT'S NOT CHEAP BUT, ALL THE PRODUCTS WORK. I GOT THE LOTION, THE GEL PACK.{THAT YOU JUST LAY OVER YOUR BREAST THAT HAD RADITION, OR AREA. IT'S VERY COOLING) IT HAS INSTRUCTION AND IS VERY EASY. I ALSO GOT FACE CREAM AND LIP BALM. AS I SAID IT'S NOT CHEAP BUT I NEVER HAD ANY BLISTER. I DID PRETTY DARN GOOD FOR HAVING SO MANY RADITIONS.

I THINK THE WEBSITE IS LINDI.COM
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598
    Options
    bkmils said:

Biofine

I used LOTS of Aquaphor and
    I used LOTS of Aquaphor and Biafine too. Be sure and have your Mom use it for several weeks yet. Your skin is still "cooking" from rads, even though you are done with the treatments.

Lex
  • Bella Luna
    Bella Luna Member Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    Aleo Vera Gel
    I used an organic aleo vera gel that I bought at Trader Joe's. It worked for me. I used it for a while after I was done with rads.
    Ines
  • Noel
    Noel Member Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options

Aleo Vera Gel
    I used an organic aleo vera gel that I bought at Trader Joe's. It worked for me. I used it for a while after I was done with rads.
    Ines

I know some put the aloe
    I know some put the aloe vera in the frig as it made it feel so much better applying it as it was so cool. Just be sure to keep using something for awhile yet.

Good luck!
  • ender
    ender Member Posts: 167
    Options
    Coconut oil!
    Hi there,

I can highly recommend coconut oil! It is antiinflammatory and helps the skin heal. It is what I used after my surgery and now after my radiation. Make sure it is raw. The more it smells, the better it works. I have tried many brands and my best so far is International Harvest's Inc. USDA organic. I found it at Wholefoods for about $10.

Hope it will help your mother.

Eva