A Sad Day For Our Family

Options
emamei
emamei Member Posts: 146
Today is a very sad day for our family. This morning we received the sad news that one of our beloved family members, in the midst of his cancer battle passed away in the wee hours of the morning.

His passing has come as a shock to us all, as it happened so quickly. In some ways we are all grateful for that aspect so that he did not have to live a prolonged and painful passing. He did not have to suffer. I spent most of my day with his wife, whom I love so dearly and deeply. My heart grieves and aches over such a horrible loss in our lives.

It was not easy breaking the news to my girls this afternoon. They are very sad as well.

Life is too short. It is too easy to take family, friends and other people, possessions, position, status, education, where we live, relationships, friendships and life itself for granted. You really do not know how valuable those in your life are, until they are no longer here. And you never truly appreciate what you have until it’s gone. However, again it is too easy to live in denial about this – oh it’ll never happen to me, I’ve got it made, or he/she or I will never die...

Appreciate those who are close to you, your wife, husband, children, grandchildren, relatives, parents, siblings, friends, and lovers, live life through their eyes once in a while to fully see how special they are. Learn not only from your mistakes, but from the mistakes of others. See your strengths and weaknesses and those that are in others. Work to communicate and to resolve. Life is not disposable, people and relationships are not disposable. Cherish and treasure, don’t hurt, or damage those you value. Be charitable in mind and action and never generalize or judge others or think you know it all. Maintain integrity, honesty, morality, and never hate or despise, to do so will take time off your own life.

Worship something greater than yourself and money, someone greater than material possessions. Be both proud and humble. Strive to be your best, minus the arrogance and impudence. Take time to learn always, for pleasure and for personal growth. Life is much too short to not pay heed to such things.

Another saying is to live each day as though it were your last. Again, this too has become so cliché as to lose its powerful meaning. Take a moment and reflect on this statement. If today were your last day, how would you live it? One last thought...you can always make a difference for the better, no matter how small or big, your effort to make a difference matters.

The memories we have of our loved one now gone will live on within each of us forever.

Comments

• sea60
    sea60 Member Posts: 2,613
    Options
    I'm so sorry
    for your loss.

Yes, I agree, these are wonderful traits in which to live by. You just never know what can happen. It's not just because one has been diagnosed with a serious illness but we should all live as if each day could be your last.

Our family spent this past weekend searching for my father. It was terrifying. He has some memory loss from time to time. He's 81. He left Friday at 10:45 and normally goes through his little routine. He's usually back by 2. Dad never came back. Night came, a police report was filled out. We had family members all work together searching in a city of a million people. We received a call at 5AM from my Dad sounding lost, tired and worst of all, he couldn't give us the directions of where he was. He hung up. We all had to experience a gut wrenching feeling of utter desperation. Night turned into day and continued searching. Police couldn't trace the call from a public phone. We prayed continually. By the grace and miracle of God, my uncle (his brother) spotted him heading towards the expressway. He intercepted and Dad was brought home after being missing for almost 31 hours. So many things could have gone wrong. Dad has taken his last drive. So reading this just reiterates how important our loved ones are. By going though this, we now want to spend as much time with Dad as we can.

Thanks for posting this.

Hugs,

Sylvia
  • dbhadra
    dbhadra Member Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    sea60 said:

I'm so sorry
    for your loss.

Yes, I agree, these are wonderful traits in which to live by. You just never know what can happen. It's not just because one has been diagnosed with a serious illness but we should all live as if each day could be your last.

Our family spent this past weekend searching for my father. It was terrifying. He has some memory loss from time to time. He's 81. He left Friday at 10:45 and normally goes through his little routine. He's usually back by 2. Dad never came back. Night came, a police report was filled out. We had family members all work together searching in a city of a million people. We received a call at 5AM from my Dad sounding lost, tired and worst of all, he couldn't give us the directions of where he was. He hung up. We all had to experience a gut wrenching feeling of utter desperation. Night turned into day and continued searching. Police couldn't trace the call from a public phone. We prayed continually. By the grace and miracle of God, my uncle (his brother) spotted him heading towards the expressway. He intercepted and Dad was brought home after being missing for almost 31 hours. So many things could have gone wrong. Dad has taken his last drive. So reading this just reiterates how important our loved ones are. By going though this, we now want to spend as much time with Dad as we can.

Thanks for posting this.

Hugs,

Sylvia

I'm sorry for your loss
    It must be so difficult for your family as you are already dealing with so much.

Prayers going out to you,
    Laura
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Options
    My heart is with you and
    My heart is with you and your family as you grieve this loss~ your words serve as a timely reminder of just how fragile life is, and how fleeting, as well. I hope that your hearts heal quickly and that we can all learn and own the valuable lessons on being kind...because we just never know...

Hugs,
    Chen♥
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Options
    sea60 said:

I'm so sorry
    for your loss.

Thanks for posting this.

Hugs,

Sylvia

Oh Sylvia! How utterly
    Oh Sylvia! How utterly heartbreaking and terrifying!!! I am so glad that this had a happy ending~ I can only begin to imagine where your imaginations took you during those long 31 hours! And your poor papa~ how disoriented and scared, cold, hungry he must have been! I can just imagine you all hovering around him when he was home at last!
    Bless your ♥~ I know you are counting your blessings!

Hugs,
    Chen
  • Tux
    Tux Member Posts: 544
    Options
    chenheart said:

My heart is with you and
    My heart is with you and your family as you grieve this loss~ your words serve as a timely reminder of just how fragile life is, and how fleeting, as well. I hope that your hearts heal quickly and that we can all learn and own the valuable lessons on being kind...because we just never know...

Hugs,
    Chen♥

loss
    (((Hugs))) and prayers sent your way. So sorry for your loss.

A friend & neighbor just passed away after about a 10-year battle with cancer. (His sone & my son were best men at each other's weddings & are godparents to their children.)

I agree that each day should be taken as a gift. Life is really too short.
  • LoveBabyJesus
    LoveBabyJesus Member Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    So sorry.
    Please accept my condolences. I'm very sorry for your loss and pray you and your family stay strong.
  • ms.sunshine
    ms.sunshine Member Posts: 707 Member
    Options

So sorry.
    Please accept my condolences. I'm very sorry for your loss and pray you and your family stay strong.

So sorry
    When we were children we thought loved ones would be in our lives forever. Now that we are older, we know they won't. Hurts, but through the storm clouds always burst a little ray of light.
  • epark
    epark Member Posts: 339
    Options

So sorry
    When we were children we thought loved ones would be in our lives forever. Now that we are older, we know they won't. Hurts, but through the storm clouds always burst a little ray of light.

I just wanted to give my
    I just wanted to give my condolences and to let you know you & your family are in my prayers

God Bless
    Eva
  • camul
    camul Member Posts: 2,537
    Options
    emanei
    I am so sorry for your loss, and you are right, we never know when our time is up and it is so important to spend as much time as possible with those you love.

Sometimes I feel that maybe having this disease is a blessing, whether we live 1 year with it or 40 years. We are put in a position to really slow down which has given us the time to really relish who and what is important in our lives, and to let those we love really know what they mean to us, and in this process, we also have the ability to pull our families together on a whole new level. So many who go in accidents or with a sudden illness are not always given this gift!

My condolences are with you and your family.

Carol
  • camul
    camul Member Posts: 2,537
    Options
    sea60 said:

I'm so sorry
    for your loss.

Thanks for posting this.

Hugs,

Sylvia

Oh Sylvia
    What a long horrible couple of days for all of you. I cant even imagine the fear on both your end and for your father. I am so glad you had a positive outcome. Someone was watching out for him!

Prayers and hugs.
    Carol
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    Options
    I'm sorry
    for your loss.
    {{hugs}} Char
  • laughs_a_lot
    laughs_a_lot Member Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    your loss
    Sorry about your loss. The fight is over for your family member. The individual can truly rest in peace now.
  • jendrey
    jendrey Member Posts: 377
    Options

your loss
    Sorry about your loss. The fight is over for your family member. The individual can truly rest in peace now.

I am sorry for your loss.

Please know your friend is enveloped now by such a profound feeling of being loved that nothing, and I mean NOTHING can now or ever will compare to it.

I speak from experience. I had a NDE but it took years for me to realize/accept it as such. I would give anything AND everything to have this overpowering feeling of acceptance, of such an inexplicably unconditional love, of a harmonized with the world I'm-finally-home-stance, once again. Even if only for a few moments.

May your bittersweet remembrances soon turn to fond memories of joy.
  • debi.18
    debi.18 Member Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    jendrey said:

I am sorry for your loss.

Please know your friend is enveloped now by such a profound feeling of being loved that nothing, and I mean NOTHING can now or ever will compare to it.

I speak from experience. I had a NDE but it took years for me to realize/accept it as such. I would give anything AND everything to have this overpowering feeling of acceptance, of such an inexplicably unconditional love, of a harmonized with the world I'm-finally-home-stance, once again. Even if only for a few moments.

May your bittersweet remembrances soon turn to fond memories of joy.

sorry
    So sorry for your loss. You and your family are in my prayers.

Hugs,
    Debi
  • Annette 11
    Annette 11 Member Posts: 380
    Options
    I AM SORRY FOR THE LOSS OF
    I AM SORRY FOR THE LOSS OF YOUR FAMILY MEMBER. WHAT YOU WROTE IS SO TRUE.
    HUGS,
    ANNETTE
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options

So sorry.

I am so very sorry. My
    I am so very sorry. My sympathy to you and your family.

Hugs, Jan
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598
    Options
    camul said:

emanei
    I am so sorry for your loss, and you are right, we never know when our time is up and it is so important to spend as much time as possible with those you love.

Sometimes I feel that maybe having this disease is a blessing, whether we live 1 year with it or 40 years. We are put in a position to really slow down which has given us the time to really relish who and what is important in our lives, and to let those we love really know what they mean to us, and in this process, we also have the ability to pull our families together on a whole new level. So many who go in accidents or with a sudden illness are not always given this gift!

My condolences are with you and your family.

Carol

Offering my condolences for
    Offering my condolences for you and your family.

Lex