Ulcerative colitis

Options
Eil4186
Eil4186 Member Posts: 949
Hi everyone, it's been a while since I've been on. I hope you are doing well. I was recently diagnosed with ulcerative colitis on friday. The doc was due in the OR after my colonoscopy so was just able to tell me to avoid raw fruits and veggies and milk and avoid stress. I am on 2 anti-inflammatory meds.

I was hoping there might be aomeone here who can share btheir experience with the disease and how they manage diet, and stay in remission. I would appreciate any advise you can give I have my follow-up apt. in 2 weeks with the doc. Thank you so much!! Eileen

Comments

• deeb111
    deeb111 Member Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    colitis
    yes my son had this disease horribly and was not able to take meds any longer cause of liver function so here is what you need to do follow diet strictly to a T all white flour products no wheats or grains im guessing one pill you take probably 6 at a time asacol maybe just make sure to have liver enzymes checked frequentlythis way you know if meds are working with you or against you you want to follow all the rules it was unfortunate for my son he was so far gone by the time they properly diagnosed him he ended up with restorative proctocolectomy and it was no picnic very rough so please stay well informed research it and if you like i can tell u some good doctors ny area
  • poplolly
    poplolly Member Posts: 346
    Options
    I don't have that but my
    I don't have that but my mother did. She discovered what she could eat by trial and error. I would eat a small amount and see what is tolerable. It may be different for each person.

Judy
  • tjohnson2310
    tjohnson2310 Member Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    UC
    I am an NP. I treat patients with Chron's and UC.

A well balanced diet is very important. Visit webMD for videos on UC diets. http://www.webmd.com/ibd-crohns-disease/ulcerative-colitis/creating-an-ulcerative-colitis-plan.

Taking your medication as prescribed can help keep UC under control however flares can still occur. Recognizing flares is important so you can alert your doctor. Signs of a flare heavy bloody diarrhea, abdominal pain, and fever.
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    Options
    I have had UC for 19
    I have had UC for 19 yrs..and have had 20 or more colonoscopies...fun fun...

I changed my eating habits....i did this by if I was having issues I would think what I ate day or two prior..to narrow it down.

I drink lactose free milk, cottage cheese etc..

no fresh fruits (i buy babyfood) AVOID dairy, sauces, spices eat very plain food

denise..
    send me PM if you want more info..been there and done it for way too long..

I have been on Dipentum (anywhere form 4 daily to 14 daily over the years)
  • Eil4186
    Options
    deeb111 said:

colitis
    yes my son had this disease horribly and was not able to take meds any longer cause of liver function so here is what you need to do follow diet strictly to a T all white flour products no wheats or grains im guessing one pill you take probably 6 at a time asacol maybe just make sure to have liver enzymes checked frequentlythis way you know if meds are working with you or against you you want to follow all the rules it was unfortunate for my son he was so far gone by the time they properly diagnosed him he ended up with restorative proctocolectomy and it was no picnic very rough so please stay well informed research it and if you like i can tell u some good doctors ny area

Thank you Deeb. Yes I am
    Thank you Deeb. Yes I am taking asacol, 4 capules a day plus another anti inflammatory in enema form. I didn't know the meds could harm the liver. Thanks so much for the warning. Do I have to take it always or just during a frlare up?
  • Eil4186
    Options

UC
    I am an NP. I treat patients with Chron's and UC.

A well balanced diet is very important. Visit webMD for videos on UC diets. http://www.webmd.com/ibd-crohns-disease/ulcerative-colitis/creating-an-ulcerative-colitis-plan.

Taking your medication as prescribed can help keep UC under control however flares can still occur. Recognizing flares is important so you can alert your doctor. Signs of a flare heavy bloody diarrhea, abdominal pain, and fever.

Thanks tj. I will check out
    Thanks tj. I will check out the link you pos6ted.
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    Options
    no proof but since being on
    no proof but since being on Tamoxifen my colitis is almost non existant...and loving..it..

maybe one pro since had total hysterectomy due to side effects of it..

Denise