Papilla Breast Cancer

Options
hope0310
hope0310 Member Posts: 320
My SIL was just diagnosed, I do not see much info about this type of breast cancer.
Any info you can share would be appreciated!

Thanks

Comments

• mollieb
    mollieb Member Posts: 148
    Options
    I had it in my first go-round
    From breastcancer.about.com:

What is Papillary Carcinoma?:

Papillary carcinoma is a type of ductal carcinoma in situ (DCIS). This type of breast cancer is rarely invasive, and usually stays within the milk ducts of your breast. Papilla (a projection) refers to the microscopic shape of the cancer cells, which resemble fingers, or threads.

Papillary Carcinoma is Rare:

This type of breast cancer is diagnosed in only 1% to 2% of all patients, which are usually older women, and in rare cases, in men.

So it's rare but usually non-invasive.
  • Lynn Smith
    Lynn Smith Member Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    mollieb said:

I had it in my first go-round
    From breastcancer.about.com:

What is Papillary Carcinoma?:

Papillary carcinoma is a type of ductal carcinoma in situ (DCIS). This type of breast cancer is rarely invasive, and usually stays within the milk ducts of your breast. Papilla (a projection) refers to the microscopic shape of the cancer cells, which resemble fingers, or threads.

Papillary Carcinoma is Rare:

This type of breast cancer is diagnosed in only 1% to 2% of all patients, which are usually older women, and in rare cases, in men.

So it's rare but usually non-invasive.

Gee Whiz
    I have this and never knew it.I was just told my cancer was DCIS non invasive and in the milk duct.Margins clear.When I first saw the heading and started to read I thought for sure it was a cancer I never heard of and I was sure it was invasive and serious.

I learned something today and I've had this for 2 years. I was dx at 62(older) but also a family history with my mom dx at 21 and my niece at 30.My mom lived 60 years.Maybe I have the same type of cancer as my mom had??? I'm hoping for 30 years.

WOW 1 to 2% of the population. A very low ratio.

I see my oncologist next month.I need to ask her about this cancer.

What is the treatment she will be having???Does she know yet???

Lynn Smith
  • hope0310
    hope0310 Member Posts: 320
    Options

Gee Whiz
    I have this and never knew it.I was just told my cancer was DCIS non invasive and in the milk duct.Margins clear.When I first saw the heading and started to read I thought for sure it was a cancer I never heard of and I was sure it was invasive and serious.

I learned something today and I've had this for 2 years. I was dx at 62(older) but also a family history with my mom dx at 21 and my niece at 30.My mom lived 60 years.Maybe I have the same type of cancer as my mom had??? I'm hoping for 30 years.

WOW 1 to 2% of the population. A very low ratio.

I see my oncologist next month.I need to ask her about this cancer.

What is the treatment she will be having???Does she know yet???

Lynn Smith

Thanks for the info....
    My sister in law is only 39!

Turns out they went in, got all of the tumor and clear margins. For now, they are going to scan and mammo every 3 months. No chemo or rad at tis time.

My best to you both!