miracle or no?

Options
My sister has breast cancer, liver cancer, and lung cancer. She is using oxygen and morphine. Her legs have been swollen. She has opted for no treatments. Sometimes it seems that it is so very hard for her to breathe, but these last few days she has gone without oxygen. The swelling in her legs has gone down. Am I seeing small miracles or is this normal? She has had her lung drained, but they put in a device that allows her to drain at home. So much fluid. Am I foolish for thinking she is getting better? Hospice keeps saying not much longer, but I think she will be ok.

Comments

• Lighthouse_7
    Lighthouse_7 Member Posts: 1,566 Member
    Options
    Well rubysuzy,
    This is a

Well rubysuzy,
    This is a question that I can't really answer. I would say that Hospice might know best. When my brother got sick I was the one in the family telling everyone to stop crying because I believed in my heart that a happy outlook and all my prayers could save him.
    Of course, looking back, I see that I was in denial about his condition. I just would not give up until I was forced to.

Since she has opted for no treatment she must have come to terms with herself. I would just be there for her and try not to think too much about the rest. In my family we always used humor to help us through, however that's not for everyone. Sometimes, even near his end, my brother was the one to make us laugh.

I wish you and your family all my best and will send prayers.
    I also wish you strength.
    Hugs,
    Wanda
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    Options
    One thing that I have
    One thing that I have learned from cancer--we all need hope.

If your sister is still having a lot of fluid from her lungs, she is probably not getting better. However, having said that, none of us comes with an expiration date.

My sister's mother-in-law is an amazing woman with Stage 4 colon cancer. She has stayed alive for about a decade now and I would never, ever have expected it. She has a drain in her liver, but just got back from Las Vegas--drain and all.
  • ms.sunshine
    ms.sunshine Member Posts: 707 Member
    Options

One thing that I have
    One thing that I have learned from cancer--we all need hope.

If your sister is still having a lot of fluid from her lungs, she is probably not getting better. However, having said that, none of us comes with an expiration date.

My sister's mother-in-law is an amazing woman with Stage 4 colon cancer. She has stayed alive for about a decade now and I would never, ever have expected it. She has a drain in her liver, but just got back from Las Vegas--drain and all.

Hi Ruby
    I would take it one day at a time. Treasure every moment you have with her. Laugh, smile, and cry. No one can answer for sure when her time will come.
  • debi.18
    debi.18 Member Posts: 850 Member
    Options

Hi Ruby
    I would take it one day at a time. Treasure every moment you have with her. Laugh, smile, and cry. No one can answer for sure when her time will come.

I agree
    with Ms. Sunshine. Treasure each moment and make lots of wonderful memories.

My thougths and prayers are with all of you.

Hugs,
    Debi