chemo taxotere/ cytoxin

Options
what can i expect after my first treatment of chemo tomorrow taxotere and cytoxan

Comments

• Corinna11
    Corinna11 Member Posts: 75
    Options
    Wow! I'm the worst person to
    Wow! I'm the worst person to ask! haha! I had about every side effect in the book and then some..but most say its pretty "doable" like a bad flu. I'm in the hospital now after my 3rd T/C tx but it may be because of a problem I had before all this ca stuff started.
    Your 1st tx shoulnt be too bad. Mine was OK. Ckeck out other posts on what to bring to the infusions - lots of great advice on older posts. You pretty much feel ok the 1st day or 2-REST during that time even though you feel good- then you start feeling crappier till about the 7th-10th day for me. Blood counts go down about day 7-14 so stay away from sick people then. The last week was usually my good week. Then you get to start it again.. :)
    Oh my hair started coming out about 3rd week. Cytoxin is hard on kidneys so drink about a gallon of water a day if you can. Taxotere is hard on GI. Take anti nausea meds even if you arent nauseous. Keep mouth real clean so you dont get mouth sores. There are alot of old posts I'd look at that were real helpful to me. We will be here to help you every step of the way!!! Cory :)
  • butterflylvr
    butterflylvr Member Posts: 944
    Options
    Hi Patty,
    First of all I wish you well during your treatment today. The scariest one is the first one because of all the uncertainties. I know the day of my infusion I felt okay... 24 hours later my body felt sluggish and the hardest day for me was the third day. The days after that gradually got better and better. If you scroll though past posts regarding chemo you can get some great pointers from our pink sisters. Some recommend sucking on ice and others recommend you eat to keep fuel in your system. Drink lots of water as that helps flush out those darn nasty toxins killing those bad cells. Side effects differ amongst us all, but just remember to eat when you can and when you can't try and eat small meals often.

Once you learn your body's tolerance you can plan your schedule accordingly. To me though the first 48 hours were the worst and then after that it got better. Good luck pink sister and let us know how you did today.

Hugs,
    Lorrie
  • Boppy_of_6
    Boppy_of_6 Member Posts: 1,138
    Options

Hi Patty,
    First of all I wish you well during your treatment today. The scariest one is the first one because of all the uncertainties. I know the day of my infusion I felt okay... 24 hours later my body felt sluggish and the hardest day for me was the third day. The days after that gradually got better and better. If you scroll though past posts regarding chemo you can get some great pointers from our pink sisters. Some recommend sucking on ice and others recommend you eat to keep fuel in your system. Drink lots of water as that helps flush out those darn nasty toxins killing those bad cells. Side effects differ amongst us all, but just remember to eat when you can and when you can't try and eat small meals often.

Once you learn your body's tolerance you can plan your schedule accordingly. To me though the first 48 hours were the worst and then after that it got better. Good luck pink sister and let us know how you did today.

Hugs,
    Lorrie

I agree with Lorrie
    I had this same chemo. The first one is definitely the scariest. I too felt sluggish and kind of in a fog the day after the 1st one and day 3 was always my worst day. It is very doable after the 1st it got better for me. I never got sick, take your nausea meds for that first 24 or so hours even if you don't feel sick, it helps keep it that way. I did not have much trouble eating. The steroids I got with treatment always made me really hungry the afternoon of treatment but I wanted bad stuff! Please do drinks lots and lots of water. It is important to stay hydrated. Best wishes and God Bless!
    (((hugs))) Janice
  • pinkpalette
    pinkpalette Member Posts: 112
    Options

I agree with Lorrie
    I had this same chemo. The first one is definitely the scariest. I too felt sluggish and kind of in a fog the day after the 1st one and day 3 was always my worst day. It is very doable after the 1st it got better for me. I never got sick, take your nausea meds for that first 24 or so hours even if you don't feel sick, it helps keep it that way. I did not have much trouble eating. The steroids I got with treatment always made me really hungry the afternoon of treatment but I wanted bad stuff! Please do drinks lots and lots of water. It is important to stay hydrated. Best wishes and God Bless!
    (((hugs))) Janice

Hi pattyo54...
    Thinking of you and wondering how the first one went for you....? I hope and pray it was not too bad, and just think, now you can count one off your treatment plan - that much closer to completion. Yeay to that!

My two cents....I am taking chemo taxotere along with two others slightly different. Have two more treatments to go, 4 in, but will continue with infusions for 1 year, so unfortunately I am far from done with this. Anyway, now that the infusion is over for you - rest, drink, drink and drink some more. I find that when I am super hydrated, I just feel better. Try to eat, find those things that taste good and enjoy them. If you have mouth/taste issues, (I have had these repeatedly) use Biotene mouth rinse often. The Onc can give you something for anything you need to make the process go smoother too! It is a roller coaster ride of sorts, with good days and some not so good...but it is manageable and predictable.

wishing you well. Be sure to post us an update.

hugs,
    pinkpalette