Start chemo Wednesday-scared of the unknown

Options
Penny67
Penny67 Member Posts: 65
Hi everyone. Thank you for the warm welcome and the pink bus! Well for those of you that read my original post, I was supposed to have an mri of my liver Thursday evening to check out 2 areas that the radiologist said appeared to be small hemangiomas (oncologist wanted to use an mri to be sure). Well I got to the mri and the mri tech just about had a heart attack and replied, "You can't have an mri if you have expanders in your chest. The mri could rip those right out of your incision!" Needless to say I was a bit upset that my doctor had ordered the test and he knew about the expanders as well as his nurse that set me up with the test. Now I have to have a PET scan Monday instead, followed by surgery Tuesday to put in a port and then chemo on Wednesday. I am very worried about how I will react to the taxol and cytoxan. I have had some bad experiences with anesthesia and morphine (extreme nausea and vomitting) and want to do EVERYTHING possible to avoid these side effects. If anyone has any tips for eating before, during, after I would really appreciate them. I just had a therapist friend of mine drop off some relaxation and meditation cds to use during the chemo, but I guess I need some tips and reassurance from people that have been there-not just from my husband saying "you'll be fine."

Comments

• jessiesmom1
    jessiesmom1 Member Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    Your 1st Chemo
    Hi Penny,

Funny you should mention your MRI problem. During my mastectomy I also had a tissue expander put in. After my chemo I was scheduled for an MRI of my shoulder by my orthopedist. He was well aware that I had an expander. I mentioned it to everyone at the imaging facility when I checked in. When I was in the MRI machine I mentioned it again to the technician. He slid me right out and asked me what kind it was. I had no clue but said the plastic surgeon is right across the hall so go ask him - he did. Then the tech called the manufacturer who told us that the "expander is not compatible with MRI." Well, no MRI for me. Lovely.

I had a port put in and 3 weeks later started chemo. For my chemo I had 4 rounds of A/C (Adriamycin and Cytoxan) and 12 rounds of Taxotere. The Taxotere was expected to be easier on me than the A/C but that wasn't the case for me. It was admittedly a horrible 12 weeks. Significant side effects. The infusions themselves were not bad at all. My husband only stayed with me for the 1st two. Otherwise he dropped me off and picked me up about 3 hours later. Mostly I sat in the chair and read trashy novels or People magazine. One of the pre-meds given is Benadryl which makes me sleepy so sometimes I catnapped while the drugs were dripping in. I saw others with their laptop computers. Some people even ate their lunch. I always brought an iced cold fruit smoothie of some sort. The nurses told me to sip on that to prevent mouth sores - never had one! The infusions themselves were really not at all awful. I started to lose my hair on precisely Day 14 after my first A/C infusion. I could write a lot on that subject alone but let's just go one step at a time. I lost my desire to eat and my tastebuds were altered. Everything tasted like paste. As a bonus of sorts I lost 40 pounds. I have since gained back about 25 of those pounds. When you have a side effect or specific question, please let us know. There is always someone here who has experienced what you have and is willing to tell you about their experience. As many of us are fond of saying, "It is doable." I wish you the best of luck with everything and minimal side effects. You can always side a private message to anyone with whom you want further contact.

IRENE
  • grams2jc
    grams2jc Member Posts: 756
    Options
    Of course you are scared!
    My bp prior to my first chemo was thru the roof, back to normal that evening. I took 2 nausea meds in addition to the i.v. while on the epirubicin/cytoxan and didn't really need the meds with the Taxol. I still got the i.v. with the Taxol but nausea wasn't really a problem with that drug. I am one of those people who gets really dizzy and nauseous with pain meds and anesthesia so took my onc nurse's advice and took the meds before the symptoms got ahead of me. Started the meds at the first sign of feeling "woogie" and it worked really well. The downside of nausea meds is constipation so stool softeners and fiber are really important, as well as lots of water to keep flushing everything out. As far as eating, I ate what I wanted...figured I could worry about diet and nutrition when I got done with all of this so ate what I wanted when I wanted. Did not gain or lose weight during chemo, the steroids made me really hungry so weight gain was what I was worried about but it didn't happen...maybe 3 pounds, and I lost that during rads. However, some of the foods I decided to eat were really bizarre, but that's ok too. I made sure to eat protein to try to help my blood counts and googled white blood cell and blood building diets to see what was best to eat but really just ate what I wanted. I ate a full but not heavy breakfast on chemo day and usually had whoever was with me run out for lunch or went directly from treatment to lunch, that seemed to help and I ate orange tictacs during the drip until I started the Taxol and Benadryl when I would sleep. The infusion room was pretty lively, so I didn't read much of my books and found that something mindless, like my handheld yahtzee game worked the best for me, a lot of the time everyone was yacking.

It sounds like we need a pink camper to be able to support you this week instead of the pink bus...you've got a really busy week coming up! Keep us posted, you can do it.
    Chemo wasn't something I enjoyed but it was easier than I was expecting and was doable. Not fun, doable.

Hang in there, we are with you this week and the rest of your battle,

Jennifer
  • tjohnson2310
    tjohnson2310 Member Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Before chemo
    Before my chemo infusion I was pre-medicated with antinausea meds. Before my infusion, I was given IV Aloxi. For 2 days after the infusion, I had to take Emend. These meds helped me while on Taxol for 12 weeks. I had nausea but without these meds I am sure it would have been worse. You can also have meds for breakthrough nausea such as Zofran, compazine and phenergan.Now with FEC.. I was more nauseated and had vomiting. As for eating, I usually drank an Ensure or Boost before an infusion. I was afraid to eat anything heavy at first. As treatment went on I would have a light meal before and after.
    It is important for you to talk to your doctor about managing side effects. Chemocare.com is a great site for side effect management.
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    Options
    grams2jc said:

Of course you are scared!
    My bp prior to my first chemo was thru the roof, back to normal that evening. I took 2 nausea meds in addition to the i.v. while on the epirubicin/cytoxan and didn't really need the meds with the Taxol. I still got the i.v. with the Taxol but nausea wasn't really a problem with that drug. I am one of those people who gets really dizzy and nauseous with pain meds and anesthesia so took my onc nurse's advice and took the meds before the symptoms got ahead of me. Started the meds at the first sign of feeling "woogie" and it worked really well. The downside of nausea meds is constipation so stool softeners and fiber are really important, as well as lots of water to keep flushing everything out. As far as eating, I ate what I wanted...figured I could worry about diet and nutrition when I got done with all of this so ate what I wanted when I wanted. Did not gain or lose weight during chemo, the steroids made me really hungry so weight gain was what I was worried about but it didn't happen...maybe 3 pounds, and I lost that during rads. However, some of the foods I decided to eat were really bizarre, but that's ok too. I made sure to eat protein to try to help my blood counts and googled white blood cell and blood building diets to see what was best to eat but really just ate what I wanted. I ate a full but not heavy breakfast on chemo day and usually had whoever was with me run out for lunch or went directly from treatment to lunch, that seemed to help and I ate orange tictacs during the drip until I started the Taxol and Benadryl when I would sleep. The infusion room was pretty lively, so I didn't read much of my books and found that something mindless, like my handheld yahtzee game worked the best for me, a lot of the time everyone was yacking.

It sounds like we need a pink camper to be able to support you this week instead of the pink bus...you've got a really busy week coming up! Keep us posted, you can do it.
    Chemo wasn't something I enjoyed but it was easier than I was expecting and was doable. Not fun, doable.

Hang in there, we are with you this week and the rest of your battle,

Jennifer

I didn't take chemo Penny,
    I didn't take chemo Penny, but, wanted to wish you the best of luck.

Hugs, Debby
  • mamolady
    mamolady Member Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Penny,
    Most doctors outside

Penny,
    Most doctors outside of radiology have little knowledge of what happens in radiology! The M in MRI is magnet so no metal that is magnetic. Even the oxygen tanks and gurneys are special for MRI. Sorry you have to wait.
    As for the chemo, I always had a breakfast heavy in protein. If you can have a friend with you to chat that may help you relax. My sister went with me to every chemo except the first. My husband went to the first one.
    Remember to drink lots of fluids while you are doing chemo. I kept a jug of water on the counter that I had to finish every day. I also added a serving of protein every day to help my cells rebuild. I don't usually eat a lot of meat so I got some chocolate protein drinks. The ACS web site has ideas for diet during chemo too.
    I also had to move the bed in my room. Prior to chemo I would have had to walk around two sides of the be and over the dogs if I had to get to the bathroom quick. Now my side of the bed is right next to the bathroom door. Little things make it easier......
    Just remember, the unknown is always scarier than the is. Chemo sucks big time but you will get through it.
    Cindy
  • pinkpalette
    pinkpalette Member Posts: 112
    Options
    mamolady said:

Penny,
    Most doctors outside

Penny,
    Most doctors outside of radiology have little knowledge of what happens in radiology! The M in MRI is magnet so no metal that is magnetic. Even the oxygen tanks and gurneys are special for MRI. Sorry you have to wait.
    As for the chemo, I always had a breakfast heavy in protein. If you can have a friend with you to chat that may help you relax. My sister went with me to every chemo except the first. My husband went to the first one.
    Remember to drink lots of fluids while you are doing chemo. I kept a jug of water on the counter that I had to finish every day. I also added a serving of protein every day to help my cells rebuild. I don't usually eat a lot of meat so I got some chocolate protein drinks. The ACS web site has ideas for diet during chemo too.
    I also had to move the bed in my room. Prior to chemo I would have had to walk around two sides of the be and over the dogs if I had to get to the bathroom quick. Now my side of the bed is right next to the bathroom door. Little things make it easier......
    Just remember, the unknown is always scarier than the is. Chemo sucks big time but you will get through it.
    Cindy

Welcome Penny, maybe I can offer you some advise...
    I am just about half into my chemo treatments and I wanted to reply to your post. First off, you sound like you've already gotten the tough stuff over with already....and chemo is indeed managable and do-able. Of course, it is scary to fear the unknown, but most of us here have already been thru it, and we survived!

My advise to you, ask for Emla cream prior to your first chemo for the "ouchies" at the port site. It really helps. The Oncologist has likely prescribed you some meds to take before you go, be sure to take them as they help with the side effects. The Onc. Nurse will give you premeds in an IV to help with the side effects too. The first infusion is given very slowly, so they watch for any reaction. If you have one, they have something to straighten it right up for you. Take a cooler cup full of ice. Munch on it during the infusion. It helps me greatly with mouth sores and that yucky mouth feeling after. Drink - drink - drink plenty, before, during and for days after. It will make you feel so much better, and hydrated. Take it easy and rest when you need to! You must be your own advocate and enable yourself to get everything you need. You can do this!

Lastly, if you have any concerns, feel free to post here. We've probably been thru it too and can help you. Also, call your Oncologist or Onc nurse if you have any problem. They have something to help any side effect you may have.

Good luck on your journey. We are always here for you.

Hugs,
    Debbie (ER/PR- HER+ / TCH X6 (2 to go) / Rads to Follow / herceptin 1 yr.)
  • Gabe N Abby Mom
    Gabe N Abby Mom Member Posts: 2,413
    Options
    Hi Penny,
    I did 6 rounds of

Hi Penny,

I did 6 rounds of TAC (Taxotere, Adriamycin, and Cytoxin) on a 3 week schedule. My doc and the oncology dept were really good at preparing me for chemo. I had to take a chemo class before starting, and had a variety of prescriptions and over the counter meds on hand before starting chemo.

One of the meds was Ativan for anxiety. I was told to take one the night before the first chemo (to help me sleep), and the morning of the first chemo. It also helps with nausea and can be taken under the tongue. My nausea never got that bad, but it was comforting to have just in case. I also had Zofran and compazine for nausea, and a compazine suppository for nausea (never needed that either).

Here was my routine...

Day Zero (the day before): Decadron in the am and in the pm. Ativan at night so the decadron didn't keep me awake.

Day one (day of): Decadron am and pm, benedryl with infusion, zofran just before infusion. Zofran 3x a day to stay ahead of nausea. Senna and colace in the pm. Claratin for bone pain from the Neupogin. Omeprazole (same as pepcid, I think) am and pm for heartburn.

Day two: Decadron am and pm. Zofran 3x a day. Senna and colace in the pm. Neupogin (a daily injection for seven consecutive days to rebuild white blood cells). Claratin, omeprazole.

Day three: repeat day two.

Day four: Zofran if needed. Stop the senna and colace. Start immodium for diarrhea. Claratin, omeprazole.

Day Five and on: Zofran and immodium as needed. Clartin until day nine. By the third infusion I needed the omeprazole 2x a day every day.

Most of this routine was prescribed by the doc and the nurses prior to starting. The omeprazole and claratin were added in as I encountered those problems.

Others have said be sure to drink lots of water, and I don't think that can be stressed enough. A couple of other things I'll add...be sure you know who to call after hours if you have a question, and what should/should not warrant a trip to the ER.

Nutritionally, I was told to focus on calories and protein. Eating small amounts frequently, so my stomach didn't get completely empty, helped keep nausea at bay. In the chemo class they recommended carnation instant breakfast (now call breakfast essentials). I liked the vanilla best, and drank it when I couldn't eat anything but knew I needed something. I also put it in smoothies.

This is more detail than I planned...I hope it's not too much and that you find some of it helpful. Please come back and let us know how you're doing. You'll be in my thoughts this week.

Hugs,

Linda
  • jewels5
    jewels5 Member Posts: 57
    Options
    I am sorry about your
    I am sorry about your experience with the MRI. Personally, I found the PET scan much easier to take, but most importantly, I hope it goes well for you!

I will try not to repeat what others have told you, but here are some tips that worked for me:

-get a good night's sleep the night before treatment
    -eat a healthy, balanced meal before treatment (I skipped once because my nerves were shot and I paid for it with nausea!)
    -stay hydrated, but don't have *too many* fluids (one of my nurses recommended real ginger ale stirred before drinking from a cup - this tip helped nausea right away for me, also gatorade mixed with water)
    -eat the ice chips they give you to avoid mouth sores
    -stay on top of the nausea with the meds they give you

I found I did better when I had liquids (chicken broth, jello, etc.) at first after the treatments, but everyone is different. I think it is normal to be nervous about it, and my husband is like yours always telling me the same. I had a friend with me at each treatment, and it helped calm my nerves to talk to someone, not to mention it helped the time pass very quickly. :)

One of my doctors told me to get as much rest as possible on Days 3 through 6 and it helped. I also made myself do at least *some* exercise each day to give me energy. Sometimes it was as little as 10 minutes of yoga, but it was amazing what it did for my energy level.

Good Luck - you CAN do this! I will be thinking of you.

Hugs,

Julie
  • LoveBabyJesus
    LoveBabyJesus Member Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Hi.I was very scared too.
    Hi.

I was very scared too. But you will do great!

I took 4 treatments of A/C and 4 taxol. For me taxol was easier than A/C. The first taxol gave me joint pains, and bone pains. But now that I think about it, I think it was related to the naulesta shot. The A/C gave me a bad headache the last 20 minutes of infusion. It also make me weak and sleepy. And the worst side effect I had was constipation. oh my! this was bad, but this is because I didn't do the right things. So here're some tips.

For A/C

Be sure you don't over eat - or eat a lot 48 hrs. prior to your treatment. Drink a lot of water throughout the day, everyday. Perhaps you can get a prescription for a stool softener which you should start taking 48 hrs. before treatment date. I know many women experience this, because of the anti-nausea drugs they give you. It is very important you eat small meals, several times a day, everyday. I had about 5-6 meals a day, but they were very small. This helped me with nausea, as well as constipation. Fiber!

To prevent mouth sores, you can chew on ice chips during the entire time of infusion. Ice, ice, ice! This helped me to the point of not getting any mouth sores. Not even one.

Also, it's important to eat the right things during treatments. Foods that will help you with your cell counts. For that, I bought two books:

For foods: http://www.amazon.com/Cancer-Fighting-Kitchen-Nourishing-Big-Flavor-Treatment/dp/1587613441 --> this one explains what to eat and what not to eat during each side effect of chemo treatments, for breast cancer.

For drinks: http://www.amazon.com/Big-Book-Juices-Natural-Vitality/dp/1844839737/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1316383166&sr=1-1 --> this books is really good! It tells you what juices to drink in order to help boost your cell count - immune system, energy, vit., etc..

You'll do great!
  • Penny67
    Penny67 Member Posts: 65
    Options

Hi.I was very scared too.
    Hi.

I was very scared too. But you will do great!

I took 4 treatments of A/C and 4 taxol. For me taxol was easier than A/C. The first taxol gave me joint pains, and bone pains. But now that I think about it, I think it was related to the naulesta shot. The A/C gave me a bad headache the last 20 minutes of infusion. It also make me weak and sleepy. And the worst side effect I had was constipation. oh my! this was bad, but this is because I didn't do the right things. So here're some tips.

For A/C

Be sure you don't over eat - or eat a lot 48 hrs. prior to your treatment. Drink a lot of water throughout the day, everyday. Perhaps you can get a prescription for a stool softener which you should start taking 48 hrs. before treatment date. I know many women experience this, because of the anti-nausea drugs they give you. It is very important you eat small meals, several times a day, everyday. I had about 5-6 meals a day, but they were very small. This helped me with nausea, as well as constipation. Fiber!

To prevent mouth sores, you can chew on ice chips during the entire time of infusion. Ice, ice, ice! This helped me to the point of not getting any mouth sores. Not even one.

Also, it's important to eat the right things during treatments. Foods that will help you with your cell counts. For that, I bought two books:

For foods: http://www.amazon.com/Cancer-Fighting-Kitchen-Nourishing-Big-Flavor-Treatment/dp/1587613441 --> this one explains what to eat and what not to eat during each side effect of chemo treatments, for breast cancer.

For drinks: http://www.amazon.com/Big-Book-Juices-Natural-Vitality/dp/1844839737/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1316383166&sr=1-1 --> this books is really good! It tells you what juices to drink in order to help boost your cell count - immune system, energy, vit., etc..

You'll do great!

Thank you all!
    Thank you all for the great advice and encouragement. I am still a bit apprehensive (maybe that's just because I have the PET scan tomorrow, port surgery Tuesday and the chemo Wednesday-too much in a short block of time). I am just afraid during chemo I am going to be analyzing every pain or strange feeling in my body just wondering, "Is this a side effect?" I guess that's just my worrying personality and I will have to find a way to distract myself.
  • LoveBabyJesus
    LoveBabyJesus Member Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Penny67 said:

Thank you all!
    Thank you all for the great advice and encouragement. I am still a bit apprehensive (maybe that's just because I have the PET scan tomorrow, port surgery Tuesday and the chemo Wednesday-too much in a short block of time). I am just afraid during chemo I am going to be analyzing every pain or strange feeling in my body just wondering, "Is this a side effect?" I guess that's just my worrying personality and I will have to find a way to distract myself.

I think you should call your
    I think you should call your Dr. for everything you feel,if it bothers you enough. Yes. I did. It would make you feel better when they say it's OK.
  • RozHopkins
    RozHopkins Member Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Chemo
    Hi Penny,

Dont worry too much about the chemo. Like most of the ladies say just deal with one thing at a time. Everyone was very calm during my four chemos and no one appeared uncomfortable. The port area may get a little sore afterwards, more than that you must inform staff. Yes again, (I hate drinking water) but it is a must, painless. Couldn't eat, nasty taste in mouth, metalic. Ice pops are wonderful and fruity chews get the taste buds going. Afraid I did get mouth ulcers and a little sore in a certain area. Hence keep drinking to let the chemicals leave your body, dont share towels with anyone after bathing. If you are able, rest when ever you want to, and work when you want to. I couldn't face ironing, but then when do we ever want to tackle that task. Scalp pain warned me hair was ready to come out and it did, around 14 days after chemo started. Just got rid of all my hair straight away and bought lovely headware on line. First time in my life I had no hair on my legs, it was lovely. Unfortunately came back, shame. The worst thing for me were the drains, yuk. A nuisance and very painful where they entered the body (right under the armpits). A hand held shower wand in the bath allows you to clean yourself or I put the drain around my neck so it didn't get wet while sitting a bath. Nice comfy clothing after surgery, something that buttons up the front. Use the same clothing during the drain stage.

Sorry I have gone on a little. Any questions please post. Good luck with your treatment.

Hope I haven't gone on too long.
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options

Chemo
    Hi Penny,

Dont worry too much about the chemo. Like most of the ladies say just deal with one thing at a time. Everyone was very calm during my four chemos and no one appeared uncomfortable. The port area may get a little sore afterwards, more than that you must inform staff. Yes again, (I hate drinking water) but it is a must, painless. Couldn't eat, nasty taste in mouth, metalic. Ice pops are wonderful and fruity chews get the taste buds going. Afraid I did get mouth ulcers and a little sore in a certain area. Hence keep drinking to let the chemicals leave your body, dont share towels with anyone after bathing. If you are able, rest when ever you want to, and work when you want to. I couldn't face ironing, but then when do we ever want to tackle that task. Scalp pain warned me hair was ready to come out and it did, around 14 days after chemo started. Just got rid of all my hair straight away and bought lovely headware on line. First time in my life I had no hair on my legs, it was lovely. Unfortunately came back, shame. The worst thing for me were the drains, yuk. A nuisance and very painful where they entered the body (right under the armpits). A hand held shower wand in the bath allows you to clean yourself or I put the drain around my neck so it didn't get wet while sitting a bath. Nice comfy clothing after surgery, something that buttons up the front. Use the same clothing during the drain stage.

Sorry I have gone on a little. Any questions please post. Good luck with your treatment.

Hope I haven't gone on too long.

Providing you with a gentle hug .. and positive vibes
    Its so difficult to foresee how you and your body will react from Chemo .. so I would suggest .. that you take a step back ..

clean, cook -- freeze dinners, etc. Stock up on plastic ware (will help you should you if you happen to get that metallic taste in your mouth from chemo), paper plates -- who wants to look at a sink of dirty dishes when you are a little fatigued and tired.

Lemonade, cranberry juice along with crystal light /Lipton flavor packets to add to your water -- so so important to hydrate before, during and after chemo infusions.

Get yourself a booklet so that you can list all your side efforts (if any), questions, comments and concerns -- You may want to take this booklet with you to all of your chemo, and Oncology appointments -- ask questions .. Remember you are your own best Advocate.

You may want to take books, puzzles, IPhone, socks (just in case your toes get cold) anything that will keep you busy during chemo.

Strength, Courage and Hope.

Vicki Sam
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    We're all differnet
    I didn't have T/C but I did 4 A/C and then 12 Taxol. For me A/C was not bad but Taxol was. I also had no nausea with either (Nurses said that rather or not you had norming sickness can be an indicator of trather or not nausea will be a problem - I even quite taking the anti-nausea meds while on Taxol with no problems.)

On A/C, I lost all sense of taste - nothing tasted bad - it just had no taste at all and I lost all appetite - Hubby had to call me during the day to remind me to eat (lost 45 lbs). A'C i did in one of the recliners with no problems at all but had a bed and glassed in cubicle with Taxol because s soon as they started the IV Benadryl I'd go to sleep and wake up about 1/2 hr before it was done. I also had issues with my temperature running well below normal which the bed cubicles had their own heat unit so it could be dialed up for me. On the 12 weekly Taxol, I was completely and utterly EXHAUSTED - I existed either in bed or on the couch in front of the TV. The 'good' part though was that i started feeling better a week after the last one and kept feeling better from then on even though I started rads a week after the last Taxol.

I too had my port put in the day before first A/C - no problems at all. Ask if thet facility you're going to has numbing spray - if they don't get a script for EMLA (or generic) cream. The facility I went to had the spray but had to have a CT at the hospital where they used the port to inject the dye and it HURT! Now I use EMLA for my monthy flushes. If you use it for infusions what works best for me is to put it on 1/2 hr - 1 hr before use and cover it with some Saran wrap to keep your clothes from getting it on them and helps it works.

Worry about the unknown is usually the worst part. Remember that there is no one that can tell you how your body will react - we are each unique.

Susan
  • natly15
    natly15 Member Posts: 1,941
    Options
    Penny cant add much to what
    Penny cant add much to what has been suggested. I found the greatest concern was the fear of the unknown. I had 2 angels sitting next to me at my first infusion. Both were getting chemo and both younger than me. They were drinking coffee, laughing and conversing as tho it was no big deal. I thought if these gals can do this so can I and I joined in their conversation. Linda, Gabe N Abby's mom certainly provided a great deal of info to handle side effects. I never had morning sickness with my 2 pregnancies, but certainly had to dea with nausea during chemo. Zofran and Compazsine did nothing for my nausea. We finally found a combo that worked. I took Emend along with Kytril and the 2 together finally kept the nausea at bay. I was told to Take whatever they prescribe for the nausea whether I had it or not just to stay ahead of the game. I lost and gained the same 5 pounds all thru my chemo. I had 8 rounds, 4 of A/C, 1 1/2 of taxol ( had to stop taxol due to allergic reaction) and 3 rounds of taxotere. I'm thinking of you today and saying a prayer that you have a comfortable, uneventful day. Hugs
  • skipper54
    skipper54 Member Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    natly15 said:

Penny cant add much to what
    Penny cant add much to what has been suggested. I found the greatest concern was the fear of the unknown. I had 2 angels sitting next to me at my first infusion. Both were getting chemo and both younger than me. They were drinking coffee, laughing and conversing as tho it was no big deal. I thought if these gals can do this so can I and I joined in their conversation. Linda, Gabe N Abby's mom certainly provided a great deal of info to handle side effects. I never had morning sickness with my 2 pregnancies, but certainly had to dea with nausea during chemo. Zofran and Compazsine did nothing for my nausea. We finally found a combo that worked. I took Emend along with Kytril and the 2 together finally kept the nausea at bay. I was told to Take whatever they prescribe for the nausea whether I had it or not just to stay ahead of the game. I lost and gained the same 5 pounds all thru my chemo. I had 8 rounds, 4 of A/C, 1 1/2 of taxol ( had to stop taxol due to allergic reaction) and 3 rounds of taxotere. I'm thinking of you today and saying a prayer that you have a comfortable, uneventful day. Hugs

{{{{{HUGS}}}}}
    The waiting and uncertainty are the worst. You've gotten lots of tips that should help. The staff is usually VERY good at getting you set up and will give you anti-nausea meds with your IV. I also had pills to take if I needed them or could be taken "just in case" - I went with just in case. I didn't have any problems. I fixed a regular chemo bag that went with jme to every treatment (4 AC and 5 Taxotere) that had my Kindle or a book. puzzle books, hard candy, COLD drinks, snacks like crackers or pretzels, a prayer shawl, a small pillow, all paperwork, an MP3 player, sometimes a little photo viewer that had pictures on it of our cats, some from vacation etc. to focus on happy thoughts and distract me from thinking about what I was doing. That doesn't really work, at least not totally, but it was nice to have it there anyway. I also checked with jmy dentist and got a special gel to use brushing my teeth to help balance the ph and prevent mouth sores and chemo cavities. You CAN do this! It isn't fun, but women tend to do what they need to and face things like this better than men. "Fight like a girl!" And check in often to let us know how you're doing and what questions you have.