still waiting for chemo essay results

Options
kayandok
kayandok Member Posts: 1,202 Member
or is it assay? I can never keep all my terminology right. I had surgery on the 31st, and it went way better than I ever dreamed. I breezed through, was out of the hospital in 8 days and hardly have any pain 15 days out. My mom and I flew back to Seattle today, when we found out the chemo assay is not due out until next week. THat will tell us the next big step in this proccess of what I need to do. The surgeon was surprised when he got in there, because he thought that from the scans, he was dealing with a palliative surgery and was going to "give me a few more months" blah blah bah. As it turned out, he felt he was able to remove the majority (95%) and that with a good chemo to follow, I could have a good chunk of time (my words, not his).

I am just taking it easy and letting my old parents spoil me rotten (so weird to think that you are 55 and still enjoy being spoiled by your parents!) for a few days. WHen the test come out, I will have several options of what to do. 1.fly back to CA and do a dose there and then to Japan to finish off 2. fly straight to Japan and do the 6 to 8 cycles or whatever I can handle there 3. stay here in the States for the whole treatment. And a few more options depending on what the test shows. Anyway, I am setting it all on the shelf for now, and enjoying the thought that I have been given more time on this wonderful earth with my family and friends.

I do want to mention too, that I am very grateful for my persistent but gentle husband who would not give up on suggesting I call my doctor and try another surgery. I had already had 4 surgeries including the second look, and the last one, 2 1/2 years ago was grueling including an infection and huge hole in my stomach for a couple of months afterwards. This one, however was a breeze, by comparison. It took 6 hours, and the 3 days of disorintation afterwards along with the hated NG tube was the minor bump in te road, but i have to say everything (inluding hotel, family support and food to eat afterwards in the hotel - this was HUGE!) all went almost too smoothly. I am still overwhelmed with such warm fuzzy feelings about the love and care I received.....and how smootly it all fell into place. I felt like someone Way bigger than me has orchestated everything.

Life is very good.

Hugs all around,
kathleen

Comments

• clamryn
    clamryn Member Posts: 508
    Options
    Hugs back to you
    I popped on early this morning to check the boards and I got to see your smiling face. I am so happy that things are going good. YOU are amazing and a wonderful inspiration to me.

Hugs to you and your mom, dad and husband.

Linda
  • mopar
    mopar Member Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    PRAYING FOR GOOD RESULTS ON ASSAY
    So good to read your words, Kathleen! You've been through so much, yet continue to stay positive and hopefull. That truly makes the journey easier to bare.

I apologize if you've explained before, but why do you live in Japan? Hubby's job? On top of everything else, having to fly back and forth must be difficult. But it sounds as though you've got it down pat, and having Mom and Dad to help is surely a comfort.

We'll be awaiting your next plan of action. Till then. . .

Hugs and Prayers!
    Monika
  • Cafewoman53
    Cafewoman53 Member Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    You are amazing !
    What wonderful news to be waiting for more life saving treatment ! Relax and enjoy this little break, you are an inspiration and when I see my Dr. I am going to ask about surgery for my next step, it scares the hell out of me but I think it should be used more in fighting this damm disease.
    Colleen
  • Barneygirl
    Barneygirl Member Posts: 90
    Options
    Glad the surgery was a huge
    Glad the surgery was a huge success. Good luck with chemo treatment and hopefully you'll be dancing with NED in no time.

Laura
  • Tethys41
    Tethys41 Member Posts: 1,382 Member
    Options
    Congratulations
    It's great to hear the good news.
  • lindaprocopio
    lindaprocopio Member Posts: 1,980
    Options
    Tethys41 said:

Congratulations
    It's great to hear the good news.

I just LOVE reading this!! (((Kathleen))) Happy gentle hugs!!
    Before your surgery, I imagined that you were bravely trading a MONTH of considerable discomfort for possibly a year of time on this earth, a trade off I agreed with and would do myself in a heartbeat. I am so HAPPY to be wrong & that you have moved out of the 'agony' stage so quickly! & such promising results!!! Less pain and more gain than anticipated: it doesn't get better than that!!! Good good stuff, girl!!
  • carolenk
    carolenk Member Posts: 907 Member
    Options

I just LOVE reading this!! (((Kathleen))) Happy gentle hugs!!
    Before your surgery, I imagined that you were bravely trading a MONTH of considerable discomfort for possibly a year of time on this earth, a trade off I agreed with and would do myself in a heartbeat. I am so HAPPY to be wrong & that you have moved out of the 'agony' stage so quickly! & such promising results!!! Less pain and more gain than anticipated: it doesn't get better than that!!! Good good stuff, girl!!

Chemo assay
    It takes at least 2 weeks for the chemo assay results--that should give you time to heal after surgery. Let's hope you are platinum sensitive again.

Carolen
  • Mawty
    Mawty Member Posts: 133
    Options
    surgery
    Hi Kathleen

I got on the board today for the first time in months and got to read your wonderful news! That is so wonderful!

My cancer has spread to my rib' two lymph nodes in my chest and of course more in my abdomen so I am back on caeboplatin and taxol. I didn't ask if it was palliative but after reading your post I'm going to ask.

Again, so happy for the great news.

Marty