Follicular Lymphoma stage 3 , 66% contraction in nodes after the 3rd cycle

besti32
besti32 Member Posts: 3
Hello,
My dad was diagnosed with Follicular NHL stage 3 about 7-8 months ago.
I think we were a little late in diagnosing it , he already had 8 kgs weight loss by then since the past 6 months.
He has always been a very good athlete and very fit , this came out as a shock for our family.
So the scans after the 4rth cycle showed 66% contraction in the lymph nodes.
He has these nodes in his under armpits , neck and groin region only.I don't think bone marrow is involved.

So what do you guys think how is the progress that he made.
any help would be much appreciated.

Comments

  • allmost60
    allmost60 Member Posts: 3,178
    Shrinkage..
    Hi,
    I had a CT scan after my 3rd round of chemo(midway)..(CVP-R) and it showed 50% shrinkage. At the end of 6 rounds my CT scan showed complete shrinkage. The goal of the chemo is to shrink the nodes, so if they are shrinking, then the chemo is working. I'm sorry your father is going through this, but from what you have shared, it sounds like his treatment is working, so brighter days are ahead. Good luck and please come back and share how he is doing.
    Best wishes...Sue
    Follicular NHL-stage3(no bone involvement)-typeA(indolent)-grade2-diagnosed June 2010
    chemo protocol..CVP-R- 6 rounds..started in Aug 2010-finished in Dec 2010
    Now doing Rituxan maint for the next 2 years-1 infusion every other month(finished 4th infusion..next one will be in Oct).
  • besti32
    besti32 Member Posts: 3
    allmost60 said:

    Shrinkage..
    Hi,
    I had a CT scan after my 3rd round of chemo(midway)..(CVP-R) and it showed 50% shrinkage. At the end of 6 rounds my CT scan showed complete shrinkage. The goal of the chemo is to shrink the nodes, so if they are shrinking, then the chemo is working. I'm sorry your father is going through this, but from what you have shared, it sounds like his treatment is working, so brighter days are ahead. Good luck and please come back and share how he is doing.
    Best wishes...Sue
    Follicular NHL-stage3(no bone involvement)-typeA(indolent)-grade2-diagnosed June 2010
    chemo protocol..CVP-R- 6 rounds..started in Aug 2010-finished in Dec 2010
    Now doing Rituxan maint for the next 2 years-1 infusion every other month(finished 4th infusion..next one will be in Oct).

    I am sorry , I just checked
    I am sorry , I just checked all the files , the CT scan was done midway only like you after 3 cycles not after 4 which i previously said.
    It said 66% reduction in the sum of all diameters of nodes.

    I think my father is also having the same treatment as you (correct me if I am wrong)
    It has mabthera(rituxan) + vincristine+ cyclophosphamide + 1-2 more drugs.
    Allmost60 what's is your age.?
    My dad is 47 but i heard NHL generally affects people in late 50's.

    Do you advise any kind of diet.?
    and what are the affects of smoking and drinking.
    He hasn't been drinking but sometimes he smokes maybe 2-3 cigarettes a week.
  • allmost60
    allmost60 Member Posts: 3,178
    besti32 said:

    I am sorry , I just checked
    I am sorry , I just checked all the files , the CT scan was done midway only like you after 3 cycles not after 4 which i previously said.
    It said 66% reduction in the sum of all diameters of nodes.

    I think my father is also having the same treatment as you (correct me if I am wrong)
    It has mabthera(rituxan) + vincristine+ cyclophosphamide + 1-2 more drugs.
    Allmost60 what's is your age.?
    My dad is 47 but i heard NHL generally affects people in late 50's.

    Do you advise any kind of diet.?
    and what are the affects of smoking and drinking.
    He hasn't been drinking but sometimes he smokes maybe 2-3 cigarettes a week.

    60
    I will be 61 at the end of the month. My chemo was cyclophosphimide-Vincristine-prednisone and rituxan..(CVP-R). No other drugs were included with this protocol for me. Your father had greater shrinkage than I had at his midway scan, so it's looking really good for him. Your right, I've also read and heard that NHL is more common in folks my age, but it seems more and more younger people seem to be showing up with it. Mine is follicular, which means it has been growing slowly for quite sometime. I am type A (non-symptomatic). I never had any signs such as loss of weight, night swets, etc. I found a lump on my groin, which just sort of appeared out of no where, and then around the same time I found another smaller lump on my neck. After the first CT scan it showed numerous swollen nodes in my groin, stomach, neck and colar bone. I couldn't feel the ones in my stomach, nor did I feel the one under my colar bone. The chemo did it's job though, and shrunk them all. I still have some activity in the one under the colar bone, but my Onc feels the rituxan maint will take care of it. As far as diet, I have not changed anything. I'm a small person, so I don't have to worry about weight issues and eat pretty much what I want. I don't take huge amounts of supplements, just one calcium pill and a multi vitamin each day. I don't smoke now, but did for many, many years. I quit 4 years ago. This will sound crazy, but whenever I get the urge to smoke, I keep a pack of little cigars around, and now and then will puff on one(not inhale)which immediately takes the urge away. I have the occassional beer or glass of wine, but never been much of a drinker...socially, not daily or even weekly. I don't ever feel comfortable giving advice on how people should eat, live, or play. I wish your dad the best of luck and hope you will keep us posted. Best wishes...Sue (FNHL-2-3A-6/10)
  • besti32
    besti32 Member Posts: 3
    allmost60 said:

    60
    I will be 61 at the end of the month. My chemo was cyclophosphimide-Vincristine-prednisone and rituxan..(CVP-R). No other drugs were included with this protocol for me. Your father had greater shrinkage than I had at his midway scan, so it's looking really good for him. Your right, I've also read and heard that NHL is more common in folks my age, but it seems more and more younger people seem to be showing up with it. Mine is follicular, which means it has been growing slowly for quite sometime. I am type A (non-symptomatic). I never had any signs such as loss of weight, night swets, etc. I found a lump on my groin, which just sort of appeared out of no where, and then around the same time I found another smaller lump on my neck. After the first CT scan it showed numerous swollen nodes in my groin, stomach, neck and colar bone. I couldn't feel the ones in my stomach, nor did I feel the one under my colar bone. The chemo did it's job though, and shrunk them all. I still have some activity in the one under the colar bone, but my Onc feels the rituxan maint will take care of it. As far as diet, I have not changed anything. I'm a small person, so I don't have to worry about weight issues and eat pretty much what I want. I don't take huge amounts of supplements, just one calcium pill and a multi vitamin each day. I don't smoke now, but did for many, many years. I quit 4 years ago. This will sound crazy, but whenever I get the urge to smoke, I keep a pack of little cigars around, and now and then will puff on one(not inhale)which immediately takes the urge away. I have the occassional beer or glass of wine, but never been much of a drinker...socially, not daily or even weekly. I don't ever feel comfortable giving advice on how people should eat, live, or play. I wish your dad the best of luck and hope you will keep us posted. Best wishes...Sue (FNHL-2-3A-6/10)

    Hey thanks for the
    Hey thanks for the reply.
    People here seem really helpful.For my dad the weight loss was the sign . He went from 93-94 to like 85 kgs in a few months . All muscles seemed gone. He is 6 2 and till few years back could outrun me in long distance races :P
    . We were never really the types who get full body check ups done every 6 months( which I certainly regret now).

    I hope everything just turns out well . In few years I will be having a good job , will ask him to retire ,stay at home and just enjoy life :D