2»

Comments

• garden gal
    garden gal Member Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    carolenk said:

Wound still not healed? Yikes!
    Dear Kathy

I am really surprised and dismayed to read that you are still dealing with a wound that has not healed.

In my opinion, your difficulty getting into remission is connected to your poor wound healing by the same underlying problem: low albumen level. I don't know if your doctor is even aware that you could be on an amino acid infusion (Aminosyn) that would boost your albumen level and encourage wound healing AND promote your immune defenses against cancer.

My integrative physician prescribed the Aminosyn 3% infusion for me when I was really ill and I think I recovered so quickly because I had that extra nutritional support. It is an eight-hour infusion that runs on a pump so you would need to have a port to do the infusions 2-3 times/week. My insurance covered the treatment--the diagnositic code was for "malnutrition."

"Hydrazine sulfate" would help your liver to make the albumen that your body so desperately needs to heal your open wound. I have taken hydrazine sulfate myself. Cancer secretes something that blocks the liver's ability to make albumen--hydrazine sulfate corrects that. I don't know if you have the finaincial reserves or even the inclination to see a doctor that specializes in integrative medicine/cancer care who could guide you as your situation is reaching a critical point where you need all the extra help you can get.

My greatest concern for you is that you are at a very high risk for sepsis (systemic infection) as you have had multiple rounds of chemo causing your immune system to be comprimised AND you have an unhealed wound.

I think you should have a "blood chemisry" drawn. In that test, you will have the albumen level measured. If it is 50 or above (some labs would report it as 5.0) or even close to that, then disregard my comments. TPN is an option that some of the women on this discussion board have done but you don't need the sugar & fat that goes along with the amino acids in the TPN--you just need the amino acids.

Hoping for the best outcome for you,

Carolen

wound
    Thanks soooooo much for the info. So far all dr's involved from wound care to onco. have said it's because of all the chemo I have had. A couple of times the wound was healing faster and when the chemo became more frequent it opened again. Will take all the info you provided and look in to this. I diffently would like to see this healed. Thank you for caring. Will be in touch with the dr's today. Kathy
  • carolenk
    carolenk Member Posts: 907 Member
    Options

wound
    Thanks soooooo much for the info. So far all dr's involved from wound care to onco. have said it's because of all the chemo I have had. A couple of times the wound was healing faster and when the chemo became more frequent it opened again. Will take all the info you provided and look in to this. I diffently would like to see this healed. Thank you for caring. Will be in touch with the dr's today. Kathy

How did the doctor visit go?
    Dear Kathy

Just wondering if you had a chance to address the wound healing issue? I know what it's like to forget all the questions I wanted to ask when I was in the doctor's office.

Carolen
  • garden gal
    Options
    carolenk said:

How did the doctor visit go?
    Dear Kathy

Just wondering if you had a chance to address the wound healing issue? I know what it's like to forget all the questions I wanted to ask when I was in the doctor's office.

Carolen

dr's visit
    First app. I had was with my pcp. He looked at all the info you gave me and said diffently mention all of it to my dr at the wound care instit. He did say that the infu. aminosyn would cause my blood pressure to go up. My albumen level is 3.3 low but not critical (his words). Next day had my visit at the wound care and that dr said yes worth looking into, decision will be left up to the onocol. Will see her on the 10th. Meanwhile we had a TIA ended up in ER left hand, arm and face went numb. So far all the tests have come back good, EKG,Ultra sound of neck, Echo. Only problem I was having was fast pulse so they started me on meds to slow it down, waiting for my app. with a cardiologist, always something. I might add never had a problem with blood pressure. I am on a cholesterol med. and my numbers are great. This is my week off from chemo, and have app. everyday this week either for a test or dr. All the dr's and nurses that saw the info you gave me very interesting, Dr from wound care did say that although I take extra suppliments and drinks for protein the cancer is constantly working against my levels of protein and albumen. Will update you when I have more info, thanks for asking, thanks for everything. Kathy
  • lindaprocopio
    lindaprocopio Member Posts: 1,980
    Options

dr's visit
    First app. I had was with my pcp. He looked at all the info you gave me and said diffently mention all of it to my dr at the wound care instit. He did say that the infu. aminosyn would cause my blood pressure to go up. My albumen level is 3.3 low but not critical (his words). Next day had my visit at the wound care and that dr said yes worth looking into, decision will be left up to the onocol. Will see her on the 10th. Meanwhile we had a TIA ended up in ER left hand, arm and face went numb. So far all the tests have come back good, EKG,Ultra sound of neck, Echo. Only problem I was having was fast pulse so they started me on meds to slow it down, waiting for my app. with a cardiologist, always something. I might add never had a problem with blood pressure. I am on a cholesterol med. and my numbers are great. This is my week off from chemo, and have app. everyday this week either for a test or dr. All the dr's and nurses that saw the info you gave me very interesting, Dr from wound care did say that although I take extra suppliments and drinks for protein the cancer is constantly working against my levels of protein and albumen. Will update you when I have more info, thanks for asking, thanks for everything. Kathy

Normal albumin levels are 3.8 to 5.0.
    Because I have liver mets, my albumin levels are closely & frequently monitored. Last week my albumin dropped below normal for the fisrt time: 3.2 , so very close to yours. This is a little low, but not scary low like < 2.0 would be. Have you been losing weight or are you stable weight-wise? I lost 14 pounds this spring and summer (not on purpose; I'm already skinny!) and I was bluntly told when I had my radioembolism this summer, to "Eat or your cancer will eat you." WHAT to eat has been the challenge. I work closely with a nutritionist after each blood lab and hope that you will be referred to a dietician that specializes in cancer in you haven't been. You may want to have all of your supplements and food intake analyzed to make sure nothing is interacting with something else, if you haven't done that. ((((Kathy)))). I hope they have some answers for you soon.
  • garden gal
    Options

Normal albumin levels are 3.8 to 5.0.
    Because I have liver mets, my albumin levels are closely & frequently monitored. Last week my albumin dropped below normal for the fisrt time: 3.2 , so very close to yours. This is a little low, but not scary low like < 2.0 would be. Have you been losing weight or are you stable weight-wise? I lost 14 pounds this spring and summer (not on purpose; I'm already skinny!) and I was bluntly told when I had my radioembolism this summer, to "Eat or your cancer will eat you." WHAT to eat has been the challenge. I work closely with a nutritionist after each blood lab and hope that you will be referred to a dietician that specializes in cancer in you haven't been. You may want to have all of your supplements and food intake analyzed to make sure nothing is interacting with something else, if you haven't done that. ((((Kathy)))). I hope they have some answers for you soon.

diet
    I frequently talk with the dietician at the cancer center where I have my chemo and yes I did loose a lot of weight in the begining and they told me eat eat. My weight is stable now. My team of dr's are saying between my wound, chemo and cancer this is whats having the effect on my levels. When my labs are drawn before my chemo they do go over everything with me and address anything that looks low. I might add that my albumen levels have gone up and down over the past 2 years. Will keep trying and am grateful for the info I received on this site. Just a little nervous now that I had that TIA. Never thought I would have to worry about a stroke. Oh well just another day with OVca. Thanks Kathy
  • carolenk
    carolenk Member Posts: 907 Member
    Options

diet
    I frequently talk with the dietician at the cancer center where I have my chemo and yes I did loose a lot of weight in the begining and they told me eat eat. My weight is stable now. My team of dr's are saying between my wound, chemo and cancer this is whats having the effect on my levels. When my labs are drawn before my chemo they do go over everything with me and address anything that looks low. I might add that my albumen levels have gone up and down over the past 2 years. Will keep trying and am grateful for the info I received on this site. Just a little nervous now that I had that TIA. Never thought I would have to worry about a stroke. Oh well just another day with OVca. Thanks Kathy

Sticky blood
    Ovarian cancer survivors have a tendency to throw clots & have sticky blood in general.

I hope someone addresses this issue with you.

I have never had a problem with blood pressure while on Aminosyn--I found there was a drug interaction with MAO inhibitor drugs that could result in hypertension.