Options
2»

Comments

• TerryV
    TerryV Member Posts: 887
    Options
    jss2011 said:

Gotta Love this group!
    It's great to hear from everyone and gain perspective.

Hubby is probably stage 3 as the plan is for surgery following chemo and possible radiation. Will find out more when we have a formal appt with oc. on mon.

I will work on a profile since someone was so nice to post step by step directions (needed).

So we had a short chat about the extra (chemo)pills. He knows he has missed some, he honestly thinks maybe 4 tops, gee how one here and 2 there add up! I am now putting them in a pill container for him and I hope it helps.
    Best I can do as our work hrs are different. Plus the fact that he even lost track of missed pills, that is a wake up to him I would think.

No feeding tube yet and no port, so we will see how this goes.

I still think the dr should know about the missed pills. Do we take for a few more days, or stay on track by the stop start date? I want answers from the drs/nurses but it cant be me doing it.

Hugs,
    Julie

Picc line & Jtube
    Both are very useful and highly recommended!

My husband received both prior to starting his radiation or chemo. The doc wanted to place them when he was at his top physical condition. The Jtube for us is not well liked, but that's because it's the only visible sign of my husband's EC. As far as its purpose - it is (in Lee's a case) a godsend, in my husband's case, a wonderful supplement. Nick used it during his chemo to keep his calorie count up. Food wouldn't go down many of those days. It will be very useful now post surgery when his "menu" is quite limited.

As far as the picc line or medi-port (see William's detailed post on this topic) - another blessing. The nurses can use it for blood draws, chemo infusions, IV connections, anytime a needle needs entrance - the picc or port is available. Really saves on the hunting some nurses need to do for veins and saves on bruising and pain. Kind of wish we were all "born" with a port to make normal injections easier.

You can and will work through this with him, Julie. It's got to be a shared journey to some degree. My husband tells me that he wouldn't have had the strength to go this alone. And even Eric making all his care decisions solo, still has the full support of his wife for whatever he chooses.

I've got a quote on my Profile -> Stories page. I believe it goes something like this:
    Being loved deeply by someone give you strength, Loving someone deeply gives you courage.

Terry
    Wife to Nick
    dx Stage 3, May 19, 2011
    THE surgery, Sept 8, 2011
  • chemosmoker
    chemosmoker Member Posts: 501
    Options
    TerryV said:

Picc line & Jtube
    Both are very useful and highly recommended!

My husband received both prior to starting his radiation or chemo. The doc wanted to place them when he was at his top physical condition. The Jtube for us is not well liked, but that's because it's the only visible sign of my husband's EC. As far as its purpose - it is (in Lee's a case) a godsend, in my husband's case, a wonderful supplement. Nick used it during his chemo to keep his calorie count up. Food wouldn't go down many of those days. It will be very useful now post surgery when his "menu" is quite limited.

As far as the picc line or medi-port (see William's detailed post on this topic) - another blessing. The nurses can use it for blood draws, chemo infusions, IV connections, anytime a needle needs entrance - the picc or port is available. Really saves on the hunting some nurses need to do for veins and saves on bruising and pain. Kind of wish we were all "born" with a port to make normal injections easier.

You can and will work through this with him, Julie. It's got to be a shared journey to some degree. My husband tells me that he wouldn't have had the strength to go this alone. And even Eric making all his care decisions solo, still has the full support of his wife for whatever he chooses.

I've got a quote on my Profile -> Stories page. I believe it goes something like this:
    Being loved deeply by someone give you strength, Loving someone deeply gives you courage.

Terry
    Wife to Nick
    dx Stage 3, May 19, 2011
    THE surgery, Sept 8, 2011

Terry and Niki........
    Terry,
    WELL SAID!! Thank you. I do indeed have the full support of my wife, despite my solo decision making.

And Niki,
    you did NOT hurt my feelings. I just didn't want to hurt yours!! (Or anyone else!)

YOU are a valuable contributor to this board and I hope and PRAY that you do not leave the board, or go away. I can understand taking a break but I sure would hate to lose you or anyone else when we don't have to "lose" someone.
    We lose enough of us on here as it is.

I love all of you, and I don't want ANYTHING tearing us apart, that's the damn cancers job I think!

Great group, and great thread. A learning experience for me for sure this time!
    Now, lets all hug and forget the mix-ups!

Peace,
    -Eric