stage 4 and disability

laurissa
laurissa Member Posts: 773
Has anyone applied for ssdi? How long did it take to get it? I've applied for it about a month ago and just waiting. I know it can take months. Being out of work is not good. So much more to worry about. There's no way I could possibly work now, I can't even drive. I feel like I'm in a constant hangover, mornings are bad trying to get up and think about eating or doing anything, especially pet duty.

Comments

• MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Laurissa, it's so good to
    Laurissa, it's so good to see you posting. I don't have information about SSI but I know I've seen posts about it before. I'm sure one of our sisters will respond. It sounds like your treatments are rough. I'm sorry to hear this. Continue to nurish your body and just take care of YOU right now. I'm sending strength, love and (((hugs to you))) dear kindred spirit.
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    MyTurnNow said:

Laurissa, it's so good to
    Laurissa, it's so good to see you posting. I don't have information about SSI but I know I've seen posts about it before. I'm sure one of our sisters will respond. It sounds like your treatments are rough. I'm sorry to hear this. Continue to nurish your body and just take care of YOU right now. I'm sending strength, love and (((hugs to you))) dear kindred spirit.

Laurissa .. So happy to see that you are posting ...
    What I suggest ...

Call closest SSDI office -- make an appointment. In the meantime, please get your Oncologist to generate a letter explaining in detail your diagnosis, treatment plan, etc. have this letter with you when you go to your scheduled SSDI appointment. Inform SSDI when making your appointment -- your funds are low, and action needs to be taken asap. Unfortunately, I know that each state has a certain time frame in order to process each and every claim. Please call and see what can be done to speed this process up.

Good luck,

Strength, Courage and Hope.

Vicki Sam
  • SIROD
    SIROD Member Posts: 2,194 Member
    Not Months, Stage IV is on the Fast Track!
    I understood from what I read and my own experience is about 4 to 5 weeks. I called SS about a year and half ago to ask questions. The SS agent then in turn asked me lots of questions. To my total surprise, I received a letter asking me for the documents talked about in our phone conversation.

Wrote back stating I was asking for information not actually applying. They would keep my case open for 6 months and making it retroactive to the time I had a conversation with them. I thought that very nice. I wasn't and still am not ready to give up my employment. I have stage IV but also qualify with a few of my other medical conditions.

It should not take months when you are stage IV, call immediately and find out why the hold up.

Best to you Laurissa,

Doris
  • camul
    camul Member Posts: 2,537
    Lauresssa
    It took about 3-4 weeks to be approved and about 6 weeks for the first check (which had to go to my work, as they had already covered that time period). SSDI went back to 6 months after the time of my initial diagnosis. I heard that if I needed to and made an appointment, they could go through everything and that could speed up the process, but that wasn't necessary. They had to request my med rec's from my doctor's office, and they got those out on the day they got the request.

I hope it moves faster, I would certainly call or go in and see what the hold up is.

Carol
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    Laurissa, I am not sure but
    Laurissa, I am not sure but I just wanted to say that I am praying for you. Please pm me if I can do anything to help.
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    Laurissa
    Carol's info sounds right on. I applied for SSD when I had to stop working because I had broken both my shoulders. I went to the nearest SS office and was on officially on the SSD in less than a month. You will need documentation from your dr. However, they go back 6 months and I eventually got a large check. I wish you the best of luck.
    {{hugs}} Char
  • mom62
    mom62 Member Posts: 604 Member
    SSDI
    Hi,

I am on SSDI. You can not collect for the first five months after you finish working so apply right away. I applied in January after being out of work since the previous August. It took till June to receive my check but it was retro back to January. If you have copies of documents from your doctor make an appointment with your local SSD and bring them in. You also have to sign release forms so they can contact your doctors. I applied on line and then made the appointment to bring in documents. I am stage 4 and have rhumatoid arthritis and diabetes. I had to go to a phycholgist appointment they made for me also. If you have children as soon as your approved you can get SSI for them if they are under 18. The social security website had tons of information about SSDI as well. Hope this helps.