Options
2»

Comments

• SueRelays
    SueRelays Member Posts: 485
    Options
    Thoughts and prayers are
    Thoughts and prayers are with you!

Mine is the 30th of November, and I'm stressing about it already!

This isn't easy stuff, so try taking something at night to sleep. To be well rested going in to this is very important!
    Try to get to a point where you truly believe that this is the best thing for you and it will be what keeps you around. When I told my surgeon I did alot of reading and truly believe I am undergoing the best treatment, he said "people who go in to surgery with that attitude do be better, than those who are stressed and unsure". I know...easy to say, but if you're confident in your surgeon, just try giving yourself some pep talks!

I'll be thinking of you!!!
  • SueRelays
    SueRelays Member Posts: 485
    Options
    mamolady said:

The unknown is always worse
    The unknown is always worse than the is. I had a bilateral mastectomy in march. It wasn't bad. Follow the instructions from the surgeon and you should be fine. Move anything you may need to get to below shoulder level.
    As far as the removing the breasts, they served their function feeding my 2 daughters, then they were a liability. I did not do recon yet. I am still thinking about it. I was never large breasted anyway so there isn't much to miss. (I didn't loose even a pound with surgery!)
    If you go with recon, shop around if you can. There is a big difference with plastic surgeons. This is part of you and will be for a very, very long time.

All the best,
    Cindy

Hey Cindy!
    Can you pm me? I

Hey Cindy!

Can you pm me? I never know how to do it :) THANKS!
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    Options
    totally understandable
    so sorr you to hear you are going through this..I dont' have any advice since I had lumpectomy....but want to say thinking of you..

Denise
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    Options
    CAchick said:

Hugs and Blessings
    Hi Sunshine,
    I had three lumpectomies...so I don't know exactly what you are going through. But, I can identify with scared, angry, and tired...I will be thinking of you, praying for you, and sending good thoughts your way.
    Hugs to you,
    Sybil

Sunshine, I am praying for
    Sunshine, I am praying for you. I had a lumpectomy also, so, I don't know how you are feeling, but, so many pink sisters here do and have replied to you. I hope the posts help you.

Hugs, Leeza
  • catowner
    catowner Member Posts: 50
    Options
    upcoming mastectomy
    Hi Sunshine, I too am having a mastectomy on 9-14, however just a single since the surgeon suggested I keep the good one. She said my type of cancer is very unlikely to move to the other breast? I went to see her with the attitude of having a double but she talked me out of it (after all she is the doctor and should know, right?) I can only hope so. I am looking forward to the surgery so I can get on with the rest of my treatment to beat this disease. I wish you the best of luck and keep in touch, we can compare notes!
  • sunshine.dance
    sunshine.dance Member Posts: 21
    Options
    catowner said:

upcoming mastectomy
    Hi Sunshine, I too am having a mastectomy on 9-14, however just a single since the surgeon suggested I keep the good one. She said my type of cancer is very unlikely to move to the other breast? I went to see her with the attitude of having a double but she talked me out of it (after all she is the doctor and should know, right?) I can only hope so. I am looking forward to the surgery so I can get on with the rest of my treatment to beat this disease. I wish you the best of luck and keep in touch, we can compare notes!

Upcoming mastectomy
    Good luck to you on the 14th, I'll keep you in my thoughts!
  • Nancy C.
    Nancy C. Member Posts: 9
    Options
    Upcoming Mastectomy
    Hi Sunshine Dance, I'm new here too. I had a Simple Mastectomy (both breasts)
    three weeks ago and I'm doing just fine. I had some old tapes of postive massages on
    them and played them in my ear as I went to sleep everynight for a week before
    surgery. I went to a move with girl friends and lunch the day before so I did
    not sit and think about it all day. I had a great doctor and hand pick my anesthesia
    Dr. by asking all the nurses in the office who they would pick(I was sick after a
    shoulder surgery in 09)I wanted someone who would listen to my concerns. I put music
    on my Ipod suffel that would calm me and took this with me into the Lymphoscintography
    test that morning along with my husband to hold my hand. I was able to take my music
    into surgery with me. My doctor ask me what I was listening to, When you wish upon a
    star (Jackie Evancho).The next thing I remember I woke up in my room and my Ipod was
    in the pocket of my gown and I was listening to the same song. I was not sick at all
    I had very little pain. I asked for pain med that night because I did not know what
    to expect,IBP after that worked fine. You have to be positive and put a good suport
    team around you. Oh one more thing which was something else to get your mine off of
    the surgery, I had someone make chocolate cupcakes with pink frosting and cancer
    ribbons on top (cake dec. shop) and had a friend bring them to the waiting room
    without telling anyone ahead of time. Also a big sign "Keep Calm and have a cupcake"
    I wrote a note with the sign thanking everyone for there suport and to save a cupcake
    for the Dr. when he came with any news. Everyone love it. It made all my family smile.
    someone took pictures of everyone eating the cupcakes even one with the Dr. who said
    it would be his lunch. My prayers are with you. I don't know you and yet I do. We
    are sisters now so stay in touch. Nancy C.
  • ldpettit
    ldpettit Member Posts: 128
    Options
    Mastectomy
    I had my mastectomy in February of this year. It went well. Of course I do NOT recommend the kids being in your room right after you get wheeled in. You will be on heavy meds and may be moaning or in pain and it may freak them out. I only say this as it did my oldest child. Something to consider....

The pain is best maintained by the meds they give you for pain. Be sure if it isn't working for you you let the doctor know right away so they can try something different for you.

Someone posted about the drains... YES, that will be the weirdest thing about it all and the most annoying. You need to keep them clean... The nurses and/or doctor should show you how to do this while you are in the hospital. It's good that someone else see's so they can help or assist you once you are home. Keep the areas CLEAN!

Recovery can take a little time... physically and mentally. I did reconstructive so am in the process of that now. Not sure I would have had I knows of the metal in the spacers. It, for me, complicates the Muga scans I have to have every three months and if you think about it.. Metal and and MRI type scan is a no no. Just food for thought. Luckily I have not needed those scans just yet, but I do think about the "what if's " from time to time.

Missing "the girls" will take a little time. I thought my husband would be completely icked out and not want to be near me. However, he has been so loving and caring. I'm blessed. My kids are ok with it now as well. I think when the chemo made me bald that freaked them out more.

Prayers for you on your surgery and your recovery!! Be sure to rest... relax... and know this is temporary...
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    Options
    catowner said:

upcoming mastectomy

Sending my prayers and
    Sending my prayers and gentle hugs to you also for your upcoming surgery.
  • PatH
    PatH Member Posts: 1
    Options

All normal feelings, Anytime
    All normal feelings, Anytime anyone looses a part of themselves it is hard. I had right side mastectomy, Surgery wasn't bad not much pain. Its them drains that are a bother. I had mine for 5 weeks. Removing them didn't hurt at all though. If I had it to do over I would have had both removed. I'm not having reconstruction. I am older and it just don't' matter to me. I am glad I did it and would do it again. I did build it up in my mind before surgery to be worse then it was. Take a deep breath and try to relax, you will get through it. We will all be here to help with anything you need.
    Take care and take it easy. Kay,

I am having a unilateral mastectomy in a couple weeks and I have to decide now if I want reconstruction. I am 61 and am leaning toward not having it. Would you share some of your experiences with not having reconstruction done? I have not been given the choice of having both breasts removed so I'm only having the left one removed. Thank you!
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    Options
    catowner said:

upcoming mastectomy

Good luck to you both,
    Good luck to you both, sunshine and catowner on your surgery. Good luck and sending prayers too!

Love, Leeza
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991
    Options
    SueRelays said:

Thoughts and prayers are
    Thoughts and prayers are with you!

Mine is the 30th of November, and I'm stressing about it already!

This isn't easy stuff, so try taking something at night to sleep. To be well rested going in to this is very important!
    Try to get to a point where you truly believe that this is the best thing for you and it will be what keeps you around. When I told my surgeon I did alot of reading and truly believe I am undergoing the best treatment, he said "people who go in to surgery with that attitude do be better, than those who are stressed and unsure". I know...easy to say, but if you're confident in your surgeon, just try giving yourself some pep talks!

I'll be thinking of you!!!

We will all be with you in
    We will all be with you in November Sue! Just remind us. LOL

Hugs, Angie
  • patacz
    patacz Member Posts: 64
    Options
    Just read your post and I am
    Just read your post and I am praying for you right now. I realized you are doing what I am sheduled to do on Wednesday of next week, and could relate to your feelings. Like you were I am very anxious and having trouble to concentrate or sleep now. I am happy yours is today and now you get to start on a new phase to recovery. Wishing all the best, my prayers, and positive thoughts, to you, and yours.