Constipated.....

Options
Robkel7
Robkel7 Member Posts: 68
Sorry for the gross topic but I need help. I had a cat scan done a few days back because I have had vague pain in my right side and abdomen since surgery at the end of June. The scan showed excessive stool in my colon (doctor's words). He said to use a laxative every day. I have noticed I am never regular since surgery. I do not take any pain meds at all. Only the occasional Advil after chemo. I am taking Miralax for the past 2 days.....nothing, so far. Any ideas? Any help would be great. Feel very sick today due to chemo. Also, my bed sheets and clothes are soaked with smelly sweat for 3 or 4 days after chemo. I have to do laundry in the middle of the night sometimes. Is this normal? Thanks, all. <3

Comments

• mopar
    mopar Member Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    SORRY YOU'RE UNCOMFORTABLE
    I know the feeling well. Miralax is very good - my husband uses it. But once you've started it, it takes a couple of days or so. Of course, lots of liquids help, and exercise if you can manage even a walk or two around the block to get things moving.

When I was on chemo I took laxatives pretty much on a regular basis. It's much better than trying to 'chase' it once you have a problem. My doctor recommended Senna-S. It was okay, but adding fiber to your diet also is important (again, lots of liquids, too). If you need 'istant' relief, you can get the magnesium citrate in a bottle, or castor oil (sometimes hard to find nowadays). Enemas only if recommended.

I don't recall having the 'odor' problem, although there's been discussion recently on this board about it. I may have had it - just don't remember. But when your intestines get backed up, you are somewhat 'toxic', so that could be. And the chemo can also be causing that because, let's face it, they are really harsh medications.

I truly hope you feel better soon. I remember many nights lying on the bathroom floor because I was so uncomfortable. It's awful to be backed up like that. I hope you find relief soon.

Sendin prayers and hugs to you!
    Monika
  • antcat
    antcat Member Posts: 270
    Options
    Constipation
    Hi, sorry to hear about your problem. Since I've been on chemo, I take Senokot every day along with 3 colace. My docs told me that Senokot is safe to take because it is a vegetable laxative. So just to not have any problems, I take 1 Senokot in the a.m., and then 2 Senokots at nite and I take my colace a.m., lunch and p.m. So far, I haven't had problems. So, I decided to keep on this regimen. My dad who is elderly also takes Senokot. In the past when I was on chemo I didn't regularly take this and I had constipation problems. I do try to drink a lot of water during the day, but there's just so much a person can consume.
  • Mwee
    Mwee Member Posts: 1,338
    Options
    constipation
    It's a constant problem for me with chemo and it can be very painful. I battle with this every infusion. I use Miralax and colase, but I've now added fiber gummies that I bought at Target. They are yummy and are helping. I also have those horrible night sweats after chemo. I keep an ice pack wrapped in a towel next to me in bed and that use that to cool myself down and an extra T-shirt to change into.... oh, the joys of chemo!
    (((HUGS))) Maria
  • Cafewoman53
    Cafewoman53 Member Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Mwee said:

constipation
    It's a constant problem for me with chemo and it can be very painful. I battle with this every infusion. I use Miralax and colase, but I've now added fiber gummies that I bought at Target. They are yummy and are helping. I also have those horrible night sweats after chemo. I keep an ice pack wrapped in a towel next to me in bed and that use that to cool myself down and an extra T-shirt to change into.... oh, the joys of chemo!
    (((HUGS))) Maria

Constipation
    This is a constant battle for me even though I am done with chemo. Don't let it go for long you could end up with a bowel obstuction. When I need to I take mirilax but sometimes also a vegetable-based laxative from walmart. Good luck with this and don't worry we have all dealt with this for a while I swear thats all I talked about ! Lol !
    Colleen
  • Tethys41
    Tethys41 Member Posts: 1,382 Member
    Options
    Constipation
    I had to keep ahead of constipation throughout my treatment. In addition to the chemo-effect, I was also taking many pain medications during the whole treatment. What worked for me was to take Miralax in the morning and at night. I also took a stool softener, you can use the Wal-mart generic brand. That helped keep things soft and mobile.
    I had night sweats too, a few months after my surgery. It's just gross. I would put a large bath towel over the bottom sheet so I didn't soak the sheets each night. Easier to switch towels than to wash sheets every day. I didn't notice that it was smelly, but my smeller was really affected by the chemo.
  • Chemo_Princess
    Chemo_Princess Member Posts: 105
    Options
    I drink Sunsweet Plum Smart
    I drink Sunsweet Plum Smart juice. It works and doesn't taste gross like prune juice!
  • pjdreams
    pjdreams Member Posts: 77
    Options
    don't go longer than 2 days
    the staff at the chemo clinic advised me that they want to hear about it if I go longer than 2 days without a bowel movement. they like to fix things while they are still small problems and before the blow up into something bigger. I thought this was good advice. I also take daily stoll softeners and senna as a measure to stay ahead of it.

I rejoice each day when I have a BM. Sad but true ! :). Good luck
  • kikz
    kikz Member Posts: 1,345 Member
    Options
    pjdreams said:

don't go longer than 2 days
    the staff at the chemo clinic advised me that they want to hear about it if I go longer than 2 days without a bowel movement. they like to fix things while they are still small problems and before the blow up into something bigger. I thought this was good advice. I also take daily stoll softeners and senna as a measure to stay ahead of it.

I rejoice each day when I have a BM. Sad but true ! :). Good luck

I agree with everyone.
    It was a horrific problem for me during chemo. Of course then it would go the other way and I couldn't stay out of the bathroom. I still have to work at keeping regular even though it is almost a year since my last chemo. I just bought Benefiber today because even though I am eating well, drinking water and exercising it can still be a problem. And I really agree that you should keep ahead of it before it gets bad. I had chemo postponed once because I was constipated. I had to give myself an enema. Geez, what fond memories.

Karen
  • Radioactive34
    Radioactive34 Member Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    kikz said:

I agree with everyone.
    It was a horrific problem for me during chemo. Of course then it would go the other way and I couldn't stay out of the bathroom. I still have to work at keeping regular even though it is almost a year since my last chemo. I just bought Benefiber today because even though I am eating well, drinking water and exercising it can still be a problem. And I really agree that you should keep ahead of it before it gets bad. I had chemo postponed once because I was constipated. I had to give myself an enema. Geez, what fond memories.

Karen

Lol, one way or another we
    Lol, one way or another we end up in the bathroom. At one point the chemo nurse asked me how I was doing...I told her I had diarhea. She asked about how much have you gone today. I thought maybe she was asking to give me more fluids, so I gave her an aproximate. She goes on to tell me you can be both constipated and have diarhea at the same time.

She explained that the hard stuff won't move so the stuff the stool softeners softened up will just move around it. She made sure I was eating the right foods and doing all the could be done, but I still got chemo. Though I was totally surprised by the idea of being constipated and having diarhea at the same time!?!?!?
  • AnneBehymer
    AnneBehymer Member Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    kikz said:

I agree with everyone.

Karen

I also understand
    I ened up in the ER Wednesday because I coule not get it to pass. About a minute before they came in with the enema and five hours after I started to try and go I finally was able to go. Then the rest of the night I was in the bathroon five times and I did not have the enema. I have always had IBS but it is so much worst with the chemo I am on three different medications and still having the problems. I try to stay on top of it but it some times come on very fast.

Anne
  • jbeans888
    jbeans888 Member Posts: 313
    Options
    Constipation is the worse!
    Constipation is the worse! What really has helped me is milk of magnesia because stool softners didn't work for me.
  • Radioactive34
    Radioactive34 Member Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    jbeans888 said:

Constipation is the worse!
    Constipation is the worse! What really has helped me is milk of magnesia because stool softners didn't work for me.

When I started chemo I came
    When I started chemo I came to the board with my constipation issue and everyone mentioned milk of magnesia. It worked beautifully for one round. The next round of chemo, I could no tolerate the taste or smell of it. I was so upset...finally something worked and I could not keep it down.
  • Mwee
    Mwee Member Posts: 1,338
    Options

When I started chemo I came to the board with my constipation issue and everyone mentioned milk of magnesia. It worked beautifully for one round. The next round of chemo, I could no tolerate the taste or smell of it. I was so upset...finally something worked and I could not keep it down.

Phillips tablets
    are the only kind of Milk of Magnesia that I can tolerate. Have you also tried those yummy fiber gummies from Target? They are really helping me.
    (((HUGS))) Maria
  • AnneBehymer
    AnneBehymer Member Posts: 738 Member
    Options

I am now useing miralax it
    I am now useing miralax it is much better it is a powder that desolves very well and does not taste bad. I also take colace and phillips M O M when I am having a really hard time.

Anne