Struggling with negative thoughts

Options
2»

Comments

• carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options

When I was doing the ACS
    When I was doing the ACS cancer walk, a little girl about 8 reached towards me and handed me the cutest hand colored bookmark with a little girl flying a kite and it says in big letters, "Fight Back!. Whenever I get down (maybe a little today) I think of that bookmark.

Today, after a rather distressing time, I told Danny we were walking back to the hotel and not taking the darn shuttle. I didn't care how long it took! It felt good to be out in the sunshine and more in control. Find out what it is that helps you to feel better and, more in control.

And, if you stay down, call your doctor. Depression is very, very common after cancer and the docs know this. Talk with your oncologist first though as some meds are not compatible with our treatments. My oncologist has me on a little lexapro and it really seems to help.

Reading my reply it has a tone i didnt intend . What I mean is you are going through a grieving process it does get better and you find ways to fight those thoughts. sometimes they take over and you have a bad day. But you will have more and more good days. You will find what works for you to keep those nasty thoughts at bay and enjoy your life again!
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    Options
    epark said:

Laura
    never feel we are to tired to listen to you. We all go through that. once we were diagnosed with breast cancer our lives has changed forever.vent all you want its good for the soul.i agree with Doris whenever those negative thoughts hit you keep yourself busy and enjoy the moment.

stay strong my sister and always remember i may have breast cancer but cancer don't have me.

Hugs
    Eva

We're always here for you,
    We're always here for you, so, you vent anytime you want. I pray that this trip will help you.

Hugs, Leeza
  • Pam5
    Pam5 Member Posts: 232
    Options
    carkris said:

Reading my reply it has a tone i didnt intend . What I mean is you are going through a grieving process it does get better and you find ways to fight those thoughts. sometimes they take over and you have a bad day. But you will have more and more good days. You will find what works for you to keep those nasty thoughts at bay and enjoy your life again!

Dear Laura
    I remember those

Dear Laura

I remember those negative thoughts after my first bout of breast cancer. I had them for a couple of years and then I somehow learned to live in the day. I've had breast cancer twice since then with many years in between but I've never had the dark thoughts again. I've had sadness, grief, but they pass. I accept that I have breast cancer today and I will do everything in my power to recover. On the days I feel well, I can't wait to hook up with my girlfriends and go for coffee or lunch. I can't wait to do things with Andie. Everybody has their share of problems, but my life is so rich with good friends, great kids and grand kids, and a fabulous partner. This will get better as time passes. I agree that you might want to ask for something to help you through this "very normal" period. I'm taking a little Wellbutrin and it seems to help keep me on an even keel. I like that. I will keep you in my prayers and pray that this passes for you quickly. Remember what you love most and focus on that.

Hugs,
    Pam
  • dbhadra
    dbhadra Member Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Pam5 said:

Dear Laura
    I remember those

Dear Laura

I remember those negative thoughts after my first bout of breast cancer. I had them for a couple of years and then I somehow learned to live in the day. I've had breast cancer twice since then with many years in between but I've never had the dark thoughts again. I've had sadness, grief, but they pass. I accept that I have breast cancer today and I will do everything in my power to recover. On the days I feel well, I can't wait to hook up with my girlfriends and go for coffee or lunch. I can't wait to do things with Andie. Everybody has their share of problems, but my life is so rich with good friends, great kids and grand kids, and a fabulous partner. This will get better as time passes. I agree that you might want to ask for something to help you through this "very normal" period. I'm taking a little Wellbutrin and it seems to help keep me on an even keel. I like that. I will keep you in my prayers and pray that this passes for you quickly. Remember what you love most and focus on that.

Hugs,
    Pam

thanks all for your thoughts
    Feeling more up this week. I seem to do well as long as I am in a "routine" like work, kids' school, etc. It;s when I have free time that I get anxious and start thinking too much!

Laura
  • dbhadra
    dbhadra Member Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    carkris said:

not at all
    I didn't get a bad tone at all from your earlier post. And I like the inspirational quote thread as well.
    Laura
  • Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000
    Options
    dbhadra said:

thanks all for your thoughts
    Feeling more up this week. I seem to do well as long as I am in a "routine" like work, kids' school, etc. It;s when I have free time that I get anxious and start thinking too much!

Laura

Glad you're feeling better
    Glad you're feeling better Laura! Wishing that all of your days get better and better for you.

Hugs, Megan
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598
    Options

When I was doing the ACS
    When I was doing the ACS cancer walk, a little girl about 8 reached towards me and handed me the cutest hand colored bookmark with a little girl flying a kite and it says in big letters, "Fight Back!. Whenever I get down (maybe a little today) I think of that bookmark.

Today, after a rather distressing time, I told Danny we were walking back to the hotel and not taking the darn shuttle. I didn't care how long it took! It felt good to be out in the sunshine and more in control. Find out what it is that helps you to feel better and, more in control.

And, if you stay down, call your doctor. Depression is very, very common after cancer and the docs know this. Talk with your oncologist first though as some meds are not compatible with our treatments. My oncologist has me on a little lexapro and it really seems to help.

It's so great to read how
    It's so great to read how much better you are feeling and doing now! Just always be sure to talk to your doctor or your therapist if you start spiraling down again. And, don't forget, we are here for you also, always!

Hugs, Lex
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991
    Options

When I was doing the ACS

I know some that a routine
    I know some that a routine helps them so much. They feel lost without it. You do whatever works the best for you. Just glad to see you are better.

You keep it up!

Hugs, Angie
  • Kristin N
    Kristin N Member Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    mollieb said:

Stay Strong
    Laura, we unfortunately don't get to pick our thoughts. Except for being C-R-A-Z-Y about radiation, I have been blessed with mostly positive thoughts, but I know it has nothing to do with any decision I can make. You don't have to apologize for what is going on in your head. Stick with your therapist, and I bet you will see improvement. It might be slow, gradual, improvement with some backsliding, but you already are noticing that you are feeling better than you were a few weeks ago. Sending good thoughts your way -- and I hope they find their way into your head! Mary

I'm so sorry that you are
    I'm so sorry that you are feeling this way. Never apologize for what you wrote. We truly do understand exactly how you feel. I pray you will start feeling stronger, better and a lot happier.

♥ Kristin ♥
  • bkmils
    bkmils Member Posts: 8
    Options
    You're an Inspiration
    Hi Laura,

I am new to this board and I signed up because my mother was diagnosed with breast cancer this year and I am her caregiver. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and fears, for your honesty and transparency. You are an inspiration to women because of your strength, courage and beauty. I have seen my mom go through Chemotherapy and radiation and it wasn't easy on neither one of us. However, to see her faith shine and her willingness to fight no matter what made me realize how much having a positive outlook or mindset plays in the healing process. What I admire is the fact that she keeps herself occupied, talk with friends and family on the phone, visit the senior center, play bingo, and whatever activity brings her joy. You are not alone and it is my hope that you have friends and family right by your side during this tough time. Whatever you do, don't give up!! When my mom started her treatment, I brought her several books that helped her, perhaps it can help you as well? It's called "The Power of Intentions" by Dr. Wayne Dyer and "Heal Your Body" by Louise Haye. If you have time, you may want to also check out www.hayhouse.com for some great tools to help you through this.

Sending love your way as we are all sisters here.

Blessings,
    Millie
  • 2xround
    2xround Member Posts: 9
    Options
    I get you so well. I am
    I get you so well. I am struggling now with a recurrence ten years after my original diagnosis. The first one came a couple of days after I got engaged to be married, but it was stage 1 and I was so positive the doctors and nurses couldn't get over it.

My second diagnosis came in my eighth month of pregnancy with my fourth child (now almost five months old.) I was doing well till I read my pathology report and did some internet research, and if I'm not mistaken I have stage IIIB, grade 3. (My tumor was huge - 70 mm - and some lymph node tumors were 35 mm and very visible on ultrasound.) I fell into a funk. All I can do is look at my kids (ages 7, 4, 2.5 and 4.5 months), especially my sweet baby, and wonder if I will be there to see them grow up. And wonder if I will live long enough for them to remember me. I am handling chemo extraordinarily well, and even that scares me because if the chemo isn't having any effect on my blood counts or anything else much except my hair, who's to say it's killing off what it's supposed to? My husband gets really upset with me when I express these thoughts, because they scare him so much. So I try to keep them to myself. I also try to remember that statistics are statistics, and every person is unique.

I am really trying to avoid the negative thoughts because a positive attitude is so important. I can go a couple of days without them but not many more.