Options
2»

Comments

• susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
    Options
    cahjah75 said:

Sue
    I had bilateral mastectomy June 2010. No lymph nodes were involved and I healed well. I met with a plastic surgeon just so I would know my options. I decided on no reconstruction at this time. I know I made the best decision for me at this time. I wish you well. Let us know when and we'll be there with you.
    {{hugs}} Char

It does sound like you
    It does sound like you really have a great surgeon Sue and that always means so much to us. Be sure to tell us when you will be having your surgery so we can get the pink bus all gassed up and ready to go with you.

♠♣ Love, Susie ♠♣
  • SueRelays
    SueRelays Member Posts: 485
    Options
    tko683 said:

wishing you a successful surgery
    Sue,
    I am glad that you found a wonderful surgeon. That is so important. I also had a doctor that listened to me and I really think she saved my life with her surgical talent. I had a mastectomy on the left, she would not do a double mastectomy, she said that it was not needed. After I finished 8 cycles of chemo, radiation, and herceptin I decided to try reconstruction just for symetry. I had a DIEP flap procedure done which was an 11 hour procedure and developed a hematoma which resulted in a failed surgery. Looking back on it, I wish I never would have attempted it. I am fine with being lopsided, it is really not a big deal in the big spectrum of life. My husband doesn't care. I used to think about trying another recon procedure but not anymore. Praying to you.

Thanks you all again! Evey
    Thanks you all again! Evey day I read your responses, it just brightens my day.

My surgery is not until November 30th. I finish chemo on the 28th of Oct, and surgeon wants one month of recovery. I decided to not do reconstruction as I mentioned. Of course, my mind goes back and forth....not so much for me, but can I guy really be OK with a woman with no breasts? I would love to hear from those of you who have partners who have been through this and are truly OK with it. Mine says he is, but I worry I guess about the reality of it. I know he just wants me to be OK and not go through anything else, but I'm a little worried how he'll feel a year from now. I know I can always go back.
    But would LOVE to hear your views in the meantime!!
  • epgnyc
    epgnyc Member Posts: 137
    Options
    SueRelays said:

My surgery is not until November 30th. I finish chemo on the 28th of Oct, and surgeon wants one month of recovery. I decided to not do reconstruction as I mentioned. Of course, my mind goes back and forth....not so much for me, but can I guy really be OK with a woman with no breasts? I would love to hear from those of you who have partners who have been through this and are truly OK with it. Mine says he is, but I worry I guess about the reality of it. I know he just wants me to be OK and not go through anything else, but I'm a little worried how he'll feel a year from now. I know I can always go back.

Boobless
    Sue,
    I too am among the boobless and happy to say so. I had a double mastectomy in March 2011 and I feel I made absolutely the right decision. I previously had breast cancer in 2002 (same breast) and had a biopsy on the other breast (turned out not to be cancer) in 2010. I couldn't bear the thought of having to go through this again, so opted for the bilateral mastectomy. The surgery went great (much better than I expected) and even dealing with the drains afterwards was no big deal. I was more fatigued afterwards than I had expected, so be prepared for that. I went back to work part-time after 4 weeks (I just couldn't stay out the 6 weeks that had been recommended) but was back full-time after 6 weeks. I wasn't sure I wanted reconstruction, but was tending to think not. I saw a terrific breast surgeon before my surgery and found out that I wasn't a candidate for implants because of my prior breast radiation and the bad quality of the skin in that area. Which left the only option as being DIEP flat reconstruction, which takes many, many hours (I think he told me it would be 13 hours for the both sides) and a recovery time of approx. 6 weeks. This was way too much surgery for me (not to mention all the nipple stuff) and too long to recover. I did some post-surgery physical therapy (7 sessions) and now have full mobility back as good as before my surgery. I also went to a terrific place to be fitted for my breast prostheses and mastectomy bras. Surprisingly I find them to be quite comfortable (much more so than expected). On weekends if I'm not leaving home I go braless. Of course the option is always there if I decide I want reconstruction. but I think there's almost no possibility of that. But it's still nice to know there is an option. I am very, very happy with my decision and hope you will be with yours as well. And great good luck with your surgery.
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    Options
    SueRelays said:

We will have the pink bus
    We will have the pink bus going for you on November 30th. You might need to remind us though. LOL

Glad you made your decision!

Hugs, Diane
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    Options

Boy chest for me
    I am 55 and I consider a youthful 55. :) I could just not see putting me thru all that to have bumps up front. Surgeon said no problem I can decide anytime in the future that I want boobs and they can do implants then. But I looked at a lot of pictures after reconsturction and they just looked wierd to me. Friends were amazed when I said no reconstruction. I had my double mastecomy 05/10. No regrets. I normally go flat chested unless something really special comes up.

Like you wrote, you can
    Like you wrote, you can always have reconstruction later if you should decide to. Sounds like a very loving man you have there Sue. He loves you and just wants you well.

Best of luck to you with chemo and your surgery.

Love, Leeza
  • Kristin N
    Kristin N Member Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    SueRelays said:

So happy that all of the
    So happy that all of the support brightened your day and helped you. And, really happy to know that you will be a chemo grad soon! Congrats early on that!

♥ Kristin ♥