curious how everyone found this site and where in your BC journey

Options
2»

Comments

• laughs_a_lot
    laughs_a_lot Member Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Right away
    As soon as I got the brocure from the surgeon with information from the American Cancer society in it I found out about the support group and joined with a day or two. I had experinced a lot of help in my home town with an awsome support group for another issue and was hoping to find the same kind of strength here. I feel I have even though I have not personally met any of you.

Because I found you early I had many of my fears reduced. I knew what to expect rather than worry about the unknown. I am the kind of person that adjusts really well if I know the terrain of my battlefield. You all pointed out the terrain so that I could become mentally prepared for the fight. For that I am extremely greatful.
  • Heatherbelle
    Heatherbelle Member Posts: 1,226 Member
    Options
    Denise, I found this site
    Denise, I found this site the day that my Dr. ordered up a mammogram after I had him examine the lump i had found. I lurked & read what seems like every single post on here in the days following, and the day I got my biopsy results I posted. I had went to a few other forums also, but everyone on here was so nice and helpful, and I immediately felt comfortable with everyone here :)
    *xoxo*
    heather
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    Options
    TraciInLA said:

Through ACS -- only site I was "allowed" to visit
    When I was diagnosed, both my surgeon and oncologist told me sternly at my first visits, "STAY OFF THE INTERNET." They both talked about how so much of the information online is skewed toward horror stories, old information that's no longer accurate, or just plain wrong.

When I said, "Well, what about the American Cancer Society?", they both agreed that ACS information is reliable and up-to-date, and told me that was the ONLY website I was allowed to visit.

Not that I *completely* listened to them :-), but I definitely focused on the ACS site, and found my way to CSN through it. And, on some of my first visits here, I saw posts from Greta, so felt comfortable knowing the board is somewhat monitored by ACS.

I started "lurking" after my diagnosis in May, but didn't join until July, well after my surgery, for the simple reason that I had NO IDEA how to come up with a username! I'd never been on any boards before, or used any social networking, so this was all really new to me.

But now this is "home" to me, plain and simple.

Traci

I can totally understand your Drs..
    I HAVE UC also and when I was first told about it..and prior to my first dr appt..i read and read...much info was completely off...

how do you know what is correct or not...mmmmm

but prior to my BC surgery I started to read, look at pictures etc..and thought just working myself up worse then I had to

Denise
  • disneyfan2008
    Options
    sbmly53 said:

Stumbled on to it
    Don't remember how exactly. I found it after my surgery (Dec '09) & before I started rads in Jan '10.

This place has been a haven & a godsend for me, and I can't thank you all enough.

Warmest hugs,

Sue

if i recall
    I too stumbled on to it..
  • disneyfan2008
    Options
    CAchick said:

Wish I'd found it earlier...
    I was diagnosed in July 2009, had lumpectomies, chemo, radiation. Finished all of that in March 2010. Didn't find this site until May 2011 when I found another lump...near one of my scars. Did a search for lumps near bc scars and a thread came up. Joined here...that lump was benign! However, I feel such closeness to the sisters on here...I keep coming back to check on everyone, and celebrate as often as possible...offer support when I can...It is a really good site for me!
    Sybil

sybil: me too I didn't come
    sybil: me too I didn't come across this until i think 2 yrs post surgery etc..(2008)
  • disneyfan2008
    Options

Denise, I found this site
    Denise, I found this site the day that my Dr. ordered up a mammogram after I had him examine the lump i had found. I lurked & read what seems like every single post on here in the days following, and the day I got my biopsy results I posted. I had went to a few other forums also, but everyone on here was so nice and helpful, and I immediately felt comfortable with everyone here :)
    *xoxo*
    heather

very helpful...i like
    very helpful...i like personal opinions for professional...until you have been there done that...not the same

Denise