Lump in back of throat

Options
Hello everyone, it has been quite a long time since I have posted here although I still read through the posts almost everyday. I had a malignant paraganglioma removed from the right side of my neck in Dec. 2009, followed by 5 weeks of radiation treatment. The cancer had spread to several lymph nodes that were also removed. I had had my last scan in May 2011 and all was good.

My question is: Over the past few weeks I have felt like I have something stuck in the back of my throat. Somedays it is worse than others, it is a hard feeling to discribe, it kind of feels like a pill is stuck at the top of my throat. I choke and cough when drinking water sometimes, and sometimes I just start to choke and caugh from swallowing saliva. Is this a lingering side effect of the radiation treatment or something I should be more concerned with? I am due to get another scan in November, should I be contacting my ENT now and trying to see him quicker?

Thanks!
Josh

Comments

• sweetblood22
    sweetblood22 Member Posts: 3,228
    Options
    Since you say that it is a
    Since you say that it is a recent development, and it has not gone away in a few weeks, I would get thee to a doctor. I would think if it were a stricture or radiation damage, you would have had it right after radiation.

I don't think I would wait another two months, I would call and ask for an appointment.
  • jbob1981
    jbob1981 Member Posts: 12
    Options

Since you say that it is a
    Since you say that it is a recent development, and it has not gone away in a few weeks, I would get thee to a doctor. I would think if it were a stricture or radiation damage, you would have had it right after radiation.

I don't think I would wait another two months, I would call and ask for an appointment.

Thanks
    Thanks for the reply. My Wife and my gut are telling me to call the doctor and get checked out soon. I don't think it is from the radiation since it new in the past few months. I just feel foolish when I call and get an appointment and it turns out to be nothing,(although I love when nothing is wrong!!) plus my ENT is 4-5 hours away from home, so I have to plan the trip in advance around work.
  • ratface
    ratface Member Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    jbob1981 said:

Thanks
    Thanks for the reply. My Wife and my gut are telling me to call the doctor and get checked out soon. I don't think it is from the radiation since it new in the past few months. I just feel foolish when I call and get an appointment and it turns out to be nothing,(although I love when nothing is wrong!!) plus my ENT is 4-5 hours away from home, so I have to plan the trip in advance around work.

your worth the inconvenience
    Josh, plan the trip and make the appointment today. Spend the night, have dinner and drive back the next day. Work can wait.
  • sweetblood22
    sweetblood22 Member Posts: 3,228
    Options
    ratface said:

your worth the inconvenience
    Josh, plan the trip and make the appointment today. Spend the night, have dinner and drive back the next day. Work can wait.

I understand what you mean.
    I understand what you mean. I'm going through that with my ears right now, and I'm afraid they are going to be like- "why are you here, you're fine." but I'm keeping my appointment because they still are causing me a lot of pain, and there is still fluid in my ears and my hearing pops in and out. Plus, it took me forever and a bunch of BS to get an appointment. I figure better safe than sorry! Also, if I have learned one thing in the last 43 years, it's to always trust your gut.