Eating Ability

Options
2»

Comments

• Skiffin16
    Skiffin16 Member Posts: 8,305 Member
    Options

No problems swallowing
    I'm approximately 2.5 years out from completing treatment for stage IVa SCC on my tonsils. My treatment included a tonsilectomy followed by six weeks of IMRT radiation therapy twice a day concurrent with two sessions of high dose cisplatin (scheduled for three but cancelled last treatment due to ototoxicity. I can tell you that, at this point, I have no significant degradation in quality of life in any aspect; including ability to eat and enjoy food! It took about 9 months for my tastes to return to "normal" and I have not noted any issues with eating since then. I did force myself to eat during my treatment because I did not want to deal with a feeding tube during treatment. I found that ramen noodles (drained with no flavor pack mixed) and milk with carnation instant breakfast mixed (chocolate flavor) was tolerable with the change/loss of taste resulting from the radiation and chemo treatments and the ramen noodles in particular pack in a lot of calories. I have had some productive changes in taste since my treatment: I now prefer dark chocolate over milk chocolate and certain vegetables taste better than they used to (e.g. asparugus, brocholli, and spinach). I don't recall how long it took for my swallowing to feel normal but I believe it took several weeks.

From what I have read, I think forcing myself to eat during treatment helped prevent some of the complications others have had with eating post treatment.

Welcome Spuds...
    Welcome to the forum, great people here.....

My Dx and treatment was similar to yours. I was diagnosed January 2009, STGIII SCC Tonsils HPV+ and a lymphnode, both on the right side.

Three cycles (nine weeks) of Cisplatin, Taxotere and 5FU, then seven weeks of concurrent weekly Carboplatin and 35 daily rads...

I also didn't have a PEG, and have regained around 95% of both taste and saliva.I did have Amifostine injections each day nefore rads. I never had the thick mucosous, or mouth sores. But I did have around seven weeks of primarily pain meds, water, ensure plus ans sliced peaches in light syrup to keep the throat muscles working.

Best,
    John