Bad New for us

Options
My husband had colon surgery 3 years ago, and was cancer free until today we thought. Same story I read about, had clean pet & CT scan but high CEA. Today was colonoscopy and Dr. couldnt even get camera thru he has two masses, waiting on biospsy results, I am sure it wont be good. I dont have any idea what treatment will be like.

Comments

• lisa42
    lisa42 Member Posts: 3,625 Member
    Options
    so sorry
    Hi Dyan,

I'm very sorry to hear of your husband's cancer recurrence. As scary as things are, you've got to maintain a strong "we're going to fight this!" mentality. Treatment is never fun, but look at it as a challenge and a way to beat this. Also, in addition to any chemo or radiation, I would look at diet changes, staying away from sugar (feeds cancer), red meat, and try to ingest as many greens as possible.
    Chlorella and spirulina are good green supplement tablets to take- they help me with not having bad side effects from the chemo and give me extra oxygen in my blood.
    Even if the oncologist doesn't promote doing alternatives like this, my feeling is that it certainly can't hurt and it may help, so why not throw everything possible at the cancer?

So you know my background, I was diagnosed w/ stage IV rectal cancer four years ago. I did have clean PETs twice, then had two recurrences. My most recent recurrence has been two years ago & I have been fighting with chemo ever since & in the past 6 months have added some natural treatments and dietary changes. I still do have cancer, but my blood counts have been good and I'm hoping the changes I've made will start working on the cancer too. I do have hope in that I'm still here, still functioning quite well, still a busy mom of three kids who need me, so I'm not ever going to give up fighting!

Please keep in touch here & let us know how things go with your husband. I care. :)

Hugs,
    Lisa
  • Dyan Clark
    Dyan Clark Member Posts: 22
    Options
    lisa42 said:

so sorry
    Hi Dyan,

I'm very sorry to hear of your husband's cancer recurrence. As scary as things are, you've got to maintain a strong "we're going to fight this!" mentality. Treatment is never fun, but look at it as a challenge and a way to beat this. Also, in addition to any chemo or radiation, I would look at diet changes, staying away from sugar (feeds cancer), red meat, and try to ingest as many greens as possible.
    Chlorella and spirulina are good green supplement tablets to take- they help me with not having bad side effects from the chemo and give me extra oxygen in my blood.
    Even if the oncologist doesn't promote doing alternatives like this, my feeling is that it certainly can't hurt and it may help, so why not throw everything possible at the cancer?

So you know my background, I was diagnosed w/ stage IV rectal cancer four years ago. I did have clean PETs twice, then had two recurrences. My most recent recurrence has been two years ago & I have been fighting with chemo ever since & in the past 6 months have added some natural treatments and dietary changes. I still do have cancer, but my blood counts have been good and I'm hoping the changes I've made will start working on the cancer too. I do have hope in that I'm still here, still functioning quite well, still a busy mom of three kids who need me, so I'm not ever going to give up fighting!

Please keep in touch here & let us know how things go with your husband. I care. :)

Hugs,
    Lisa

Chorella
    Are these presciptions or over the counter. Love the dog. I put a picture of the cat, when we adopted her she picked my husband it was love at first sight.
  • Dyan Clark
    Options
    lisa42 said:

so sorry
    Hi Dyan,

Hugs,
    Lisa

keep in touch
    Keep in touch, your look very healthy in picture. We eat very healthy but I know we must get rid of all sugar. Keep busy with your 3 kids.
  • pepebcn
    pepebcn Member Posts: 6,331 Member
    Options

keep in touch
    Keep in touch, your look very healthy in picture. We eat very healthy but I know we must get rid of all sugar. Keep busy with your 3 kids.

Feel so sorry for the news !
    Folfox would be the first option , in case he had already been on folfox, folfiri would be the second option!.
    Have a big hug!
  • PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866 Member
    Options
    Hi Dyan
    Sorry to hear about your husband. Wasn't he under any supervision and getting regular (3 month, 6 month) checkups at all? They usually keep an eye on things for at least 5 years after finishing treatment.
    -p
  • lisa42
    Options

keep in touch

Dyan
    Hi again Dyan,

btw, my picture is about a year old- I look better in it than I do now, so I haven't bothered to update it :)

Chlorella is not a prescription- you can buy it in most vitamin sections of health food stores, I even think Walmart has it. I got it in tablet form- the tablets are pretty small and easy to swallow. Spirulina is also available in most vitamin sections & is in capsule form. You need more of the chlorella than the spirulina. The directions on my chlorella say to take up to 15 a day. Sounds like a lot, but they go down easily. I take just one a day of the spirulina. Warning... it makes your poo green! :) Eww!

Best wishes & take care-
    Lisa
  • khl8
    khl8 Member Posts: 807
    Options
    PhillieG said:

Hi Dyan
    Sorry to hear about your husband. Wasn't he under any supervision and getting regular (3 month, 6 month) checkups at all? They usually keep an eye on things for at least 5 years after finishing treatment.
    -p

YOur husband will be in my
    YOur husband will be in my prayers tonight! Please keep us informed.

Kathy
  • marqimark
    marqimark Member Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Prayers for you and your husband
    I am sorry about the recurrance.
    Hope Biopsies come back with good news.

Hugs!

Mark
  • karen40
    karen40 Member Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Sorry
    Dyan,
    My thoughts and prayers are with the both of you, as you wait for the biopsy results.
    Stay Strong,
    Karen
  • Dyan Clark
    Options
    pepebcn said:

Feel so sorry for the news !
    Folfox would be the first option , in case he had already been on folfox, folfiri would be the second option!.
    Have a big hug!

folfox
    Thanks for information
  • Dyan Clark
    Options
    lisa42 said:

Dyan
    Hi again Dyan,

btw, my picture is about a year old- I look better in it than I do now, so I haven't bothered to update it :)

Chlorella is not a prescription- you can buy it in most vitamin sections of health food stores, I even think Walmart has it. I got it in tablet form- the tablets are pretty small and easy to swallow. Spirulina is also available in most vitamin sections & is in capsule form. You need more of the chlorella than the spirulina. The directions on my chlorella say to take up to 15 a day. Sounds like a lot, but they go down easily. I take just one a day of the spirulina. Warning... it makes your poo green! :) Eww!

Best wishes & take care-
    Lisa

Chlorella
    Thanks for the information
  • Dyan Clark
    Options
    PhillieG said:

Hi Dyan
    -p

supervision
    constantly, pet scan & Ct in May were clean, but CEA going up this grew very fast
  • Dyan Clark
    Options
    khl8 said:

YOur husband will be in my
    YOur husband will be in my prayers tonight! Please keep us informed.

Kathy

In touch
    Will keep in touch, and I really want to read what people feel is best procedure. I will post all information we get from Dr.
  • Dyan Clark
    Options
    marqimark said:

Prayers for you and your husband
    I am sorry about the recurrance.
    Hope Biopsies come back with good news.

Hugs!

Mark

Hope
    Will let everyone know as soon as we speak with all DRs.
  • Dyan Clark
    Options
    Biopsy
    Well guess what Biopsy showes no cancer. How great is that, so 3 years cancer free. My husband had 12" of colon removed with radiation & chemo so everyone please dont get discouraged. We will see the dr. to find out what is going on, most likely some kind of inflamtion from surgery. WE ARE SO RELIEVED. THANKS FOR ALL YOUR SUPPORT.
  • Dyan Clark
    Options
    lisa42 said:

Dyan
    Hi again Dyan,

Best wishes & take care-
    Lisa

Chlorella
    I am going to start my husband on this anyway, the radiation can have long range side affects. Please keep me informed on how you are doing. you can also email me at dyanvdw.clark@hotmail.com My husband did Radiation & Chemo so I know how draining this can be. We have been married only 5years and before him I had a lousy marriage for years, I felt so blest to find him. Time & unforseen circumstances befall us all.
  • karen40
    karen40 Member Posts: 211 Member
    Options

Biopsy
    Well guess what Biopsy showes no cancer. How great is that, so 3 years cancer free. My husband had 12" of colon removed with radiation & chemo so everyone please dont get discouraged. We will see the dr. to find out what is going on, most likely some kind of inflamtion from surgery. WE ARE SO RELIEVED. THANKS FOR ALL YOUR SUPPORT.

Wonderful!
    Dylan,
    That's great to hear.
    Take care,
    Karen
  • lisa42
    Options

Biopsy

Wonderful news!!
    Glad to hear the positively wonderful news!!

Lisa
  • pepebcn
    pepebcn Member Posts: 6,331 Member
    Options
    lisa42 said:

Wonderful news!!
    Glad to hear the positively wonderful news!!

Lisa

this are great and awesome news
    Congratulations!
  • marqimark
    marqimark Member Posts: 242 Member
    Options

Biopsy

Beautiful news
    I am relieved to hear about the good news.