East Coast Ladies - are you all OK following Irene?

Options
HellieC
HellieC Member Posts: 524 Member
Just wanted to check that all you ladies on the East Coast are doing OK following hurricane Irene. Have been watching the news in the UK and it looked pretty frightening. Although perhaps not quite as bad in New York as first thought? You are all probably without power etc at the moment, but as you all get back online it would be good to hear from you all to know that you are safe.
Thinking about you all
Helen

Comments

• JoAnnDK
    JoAnnDK Member Posts: 275
    Options
    okay here
    Thanks for asking....

We had a mandatory evacuation of our beach area on Friday so my husband and I went to our house in PA to avoid Irene's wrath. For our area, she kind of wimped out. I returned to the beach today .....little damage, no road problems, no flooding, hardly any trees or branches down anywhere. There was more vegetation on my street in PA than there is here.

I rushed into the house, did a quick inspection, put everything back on 4 porches, sweating profusely. Returned the hanging plants to the outdoors, started the two dehumidifiers (it was 90% humidity on the lower level!) and washed up because.....

My daughter and her family arrived shortly thereafter (including the week-old baby who has now been through an earthquake and a hurricane in her short life). They left their home because they had not had power for 24 hours and were told it could be a week before service is restored. Huge numbers in Maryland without power.

So I have unexpected visitors for who knows how long?

I know forecasting is not an exact science, but think the networks delight in making things sound as bad as possible.
  • HellieC
    Options
    JoAnnDK said:

okay here
    Thanks for asking....

We had a mandatory evacuation of our beach area on Friday so my husband and I went to our house in PA to avoid Irene's wrath. For our area, she kind of wimped out. I returned to the beach today .....little damage, no road problems, no flooding, hardly any trees or branches down anywhere. There was more vegetation on my street in PA than there is here.

I rushed into the house, did a quick inspection, put everything back on 4 porches, sweating profusely. Returned the hanging plants to the outdoors, started the two dehumidifiers (it was 90% humidity on the lower level!) and washed up because.....

My daughter and her family arrived shortly thereafter (including the week-old baby who has now been through an earthquake and a hurricane in her short life). They left their home because they had not had power for 24 hours and were told it could be a week before service is restored. Huge numbers in Maryland without power.

So I have unexpected visitors for who knows how long?

I know forecasting is not an exact science, but think the networks delight in making things sound as bad as possible.

Phew - sounds a frantic time....
    So glad you are OK. I know the networks like to over-hype these things (they do over here, too!), but for us in the UK, where there are hurricanes only very rarely (I think 1987 was the last one that I recall where there was serious widespread damage), it looks pretty scarey!
    Hope all goes OK with your family's visit - it's times like this when everyone pulls together and makes the most of things. Poor little baby - what a start to life! You'll tell them about this when they're older and show them the pictures of it all, but, of course, they won't remember!
    Thinking of you
    Helen
  • nempark
    nempark Member Posts: 681
    Options
    Did well considering
    Thank you. Here in north New Jersey. No damage. Be well everyone. June
  • minniejan
    minniejan Member Posts: 88
    Options
    near Philadelphia
    Thanks for your concern. Here in the Philadelphia area we have had flooding, power outages galore. Personally I only had a bit of water in the basement and a few downed branches, nothing major. And I am one of the fortunate ones who never lost power, although friends all around the area have. We are slowly getting back to normal, subway system back up and running yesterday but unfortunately the regional rail line is not running yet so my daughter who just started a brand new job at Penn Medicine as an infusion nurse had to find an alternate way into the city for her first day! First an earthquake, then Irene in one week!
    MinnieJan
  • RoseyR
    RoseyR Member Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    OK in Philadelphia

Dear Hellie,

Thanks for your concern; high gales didn't quite materialize, so my windows didn't shatter as I feared, but stayed awake most of the night worrying about it.

Didn't even lose power after all that hype!

xo,
    Rosey
  • HellieC
    Options
    RoseyR said:

OK in Philadelphia

Dear Hellie,

Thanks for your concern; high gales didn't quite materialize, so my windows didn't shatter as I feared, but stayed awake most of the night worrying about it.

Didn't even lose power after all that hype!

xo,
    Rosey

Glad to hear you're all OK
    Glad to hear you're all OK - phew! The pictures looked pretty bad in some areas. I know that we have some other ladies on the East Coat - Jill in Brooklyn and others. Hope they are OK and are just off the boards because the power is down.
    Kindest thoughts to everyone
    Helen
  • minniejan
    Options
    HellieC said:

Glad to hear you're all OK
    Glad to hear you're all OK - phew! The pictures looked pretty bad in some areas. I know that we have some other ladies on the East Coat - Jill in Brooklyn and others. Hope they are OK and are just off the boards because the power is down.
    Kindest thoughts to everyone
    Helen

New England
    I have family spread all through New England and most of southern New England still have huge pockets of area without power. One sister said she won't be restored until sometime next week, the other sister is hoping for restored power on Sunday. Parts of New York are still struggling as well. And Vermont has been in the news alot. I for one am glad tomorrow starts a new month!
  • HellieC
    Options
    minniejan said:

New England
    I have family spread all through New England and most of southern New England still have huge pockets of area without power. One sister said she won't be restored until sometime next week, the other sister is hoping for restored power on Sunday. Parts of New York are still struggling as well. And Vermont has been in the news alot. I for one am glad tomorrow starts a new month!

Thanks for the latest, minniejan
    Thanks for the latest update, minniejan. I guess that it's the lack of power which is keeping some ladies off the boards - at least I have everything crossed that it is the lack of power rather than anything more serious!
    Thhinking of you all
    Helen
  • minniejan
    Options
    HellieC said:

Thanks for the latest, minniejan
    Thanks for the latest update, minniejan. I guess that it's the lack of power which is keeping some ladies off the boards - at least I have everything crossed that it is the lack of power rather than anything more serious!
    Thhinking of you all
    Helen

It is actually nice to
    It is actually nice to "talk" about something other than medical! I figure if we ladies can weather cancer and its aftermath in one form or another, we can get through some rough weather. I do pray for those who lost their lives in the storms though.
  • HellieC
    Options
    minniejan said:

It is actually nice to
    It is actually nice to "talk" about something other than medical! I figure if we ladies can weather cancer and its aftermath in one form or another, we can get through some rough weather. I do pray for those who lost their lives in the storms though.

We have a bond..
    I sort of feel that we all have a bond that goes beyond our cancer. We read snippets about each other's lives and start to build a picture of the person we are "talking" to, so when we hear of some trouble, we automatically think of those we know who may be involved.
    I join you in prayers for those who lost their lives
    Helen .
  • susafina
    susafina Member Posts: 131
    Options
    HellieC said:

We have a bond..
    I sort of feel that we all have a bond that goes beyond our cancer. We read snippets about each other's lives and start to build a picture of the person we are "talking" to, so when we hear of some trouble, we automatically think of those we know who may be involved.
    I join you in prayers for those who lost their lives
    Helen .

Thanks for caring
    Ladies,
    Here in New York I felt the earthquake, did not know what it was. We all paniked and people laughed at us with many jokes. But since living through 9/11 makes us all a little jittery, especially with the 10th anniversary coming up. The hurricane was scary too, All of the television channels dissrupted regular shows to keep showing the storm. It really was too much after awhile. A huge 100 year old oak tree came down on my block taking our power lines with it, so no power for a couple of days but the flooding was minimal where I am. Irene really caused quite a few problems here.
    As everyone says Are the locusts next? Thanks for caring for all the sisters on the east.
    SUE