Thrush

We have been batteling thrush now for over a month are on the 3rd bottle of antibiotics.Dr has been giving him fluconazole,has anyone heard of this med and has anyone hed better luck with another med. Thank you.

Comments

• KTeacher
    KTeacher Member Posts: 1,103
    Thrush
    As soon as my body is under stress I get thrush. Nystatin Oral Susp, swish and swallow.
    Throw out toothbrush or clean in whatever you think will work. Throw away straw used for drinking daily. I use med for asthma, clean mouthpiece with alchohol. It will go away with med but it does come back with stress on body.
  • DrMary
    DrMary Member Posts: 531 Member
    Not an antibiotic
    Fluconazole is an anti-fungal - antibiotics can actually cause yeast infections (since the good bacteria help kill the fungi). Our EMT preferred the Nystatin rinse; the rad doctor preferred the fluconazole pills - he used a larger dose than I'd ever taken (I used to take it for GYN yeast infections). Both seemed to work, but the pills did work faster.

I agree with the scorched earth policy on everything that touches the mouth - throw out or boil everything and make sure all dishes either go in the dishwasher or are rinsed in boiling water and air dried. If you use a cup in the bathroom, switch to disposable or put in the dishwasher after each use.

Diet/habits can help (but not cure) - active yogurt, cut back on sugar, lots of water and salt water rinses as often as possible (if he can stand a weak peroxide solution, even better).

Finally, if it persists, consider talking to the doctor about treating you as well - spouses can harbor the fungus and reinfect the patient.
  • jim and i
    jim and i Member Posts: 1,788 Member
    I agree with others
    Nystatin is what works foor Jim. Usually clears in a couple of days, especially if you catch it early.
  • Hondo
    Hondo Member Posts: 6,636 Member
    Nystatin
    Same here but I took the Nystatin pills as that is what the dr prescribed for me, also helps with fungus growing under the toe nail.

Hondo
  • rarph123
    rarph123 Member Posts: 64
    thrush
    tried most meds for this the best so far has been clotrimazole--they are a troche tablet taken 5tms per.day that desolve slowly. Other is Club Soda
  • ahamric
    ahamric Member Posts: 92
    Thank you everyone for your
    Thank you everyone for your input I will talk to his dr tomorrow and see what we can do.
  • robinleigh
    robinleigh Member Posts: 297
    ahamric said:

Thank you everyone for your
    Thank you everyone for your input I will talk to his dr tomorrow and see what we can do.

Nystatin
    Worked for my husband, Andy! Hope you get quick results!