Scan question. Type and frequency.

Options
When i first finished treatments, I had 2 pet scans. One at 2 months and one at 4 months.
The next schedule scan was at 7 months and the insurance company balked at pet scans and they were replaced by mri of head and neck and a cat scan of chest. Those have been my tests every 3 months since. I am now a year and 6 months out from treatment and none of the tests since the 2 month one have shown any reoccurence or hot spots.

The Onc. has moved my next scan to 5 months and decided that it will only consist of a cat scan of my chest and neck.

In your experiences is this too early to cut back on the scanned areas and/or the type of scans?

Also, totally unrelated. Anyone going to Dragon*Con, labor day weekend? Geekfest of sci-fi, comic and media fandom here in Atlanta. If you're here for it, a meetup could be fun.

Comments

• Fire34
    Fire34 Member Posts: 365
    Options
    Scans
    My first PET was 3 months out and I have had CTs quarterly since. I am 20 months out
    I was part of a clinical trial at U of Chciago and dont know if the trial is timing the scans or not. I have not had any PETs since.
    Dave
  • elwoodsinoakdale
    elwoodsinoakdale Member Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Fire34 said:

Scans
    My first PET was 3 months out and I have had CTs quarterly since. I am 20 months out
    I was part of a clinical trial at U of Chciago and dont know if the trial is timing the scans or not. I have not had any PETs since.
    Dave

Question
    I have a question, my husband was told he had hpv tonsil cancer, one node, in Feb 3, 2011. My question is when they did his first pet scan they also found a red spot in his face on the right side, ent and chemo doctor thinks it a fake reading, but the rad doctor treated it any ways, well he just had a new pet scan 4 months post treatment, and the red spot is still there on the face, now the rad doctor wants to do a cat scan. What is the difference from pet scan and cat scan. I was wondering how many people have had false readings on the pet scan, I thought they were perfect.

Thanks Linda
  • sweetblood22
    sweetblood22 Member Posts: 3,228
    Options

Question
    I have a question, my husband was told he had hpv tonsil cancer, one node, in Feb 3, 2011. My question is when they did his first pet scan they also found a red spot in his face on the right side, ent and chemo doctor thinks it a fake reading, but the rad doctor treated it any ways, well he just had a new pet scan 4 months post treatment, and the red spot is still there on the face, now the rad doctor wants to do a cat scan. What is the difference from pet scan and cat scan. I was wondering how many people have had false readings on the pet scan, I thought they were perfect.

Thanks Linda

Linda, no test is perfect. No doctor is perfect.
    You might try to google, "what is the difference between a pet scan and CT Scan."

Also, you may want to start your own thread instead of asking your question in meinken's thread and highjacking his.
  • elwoodsinoakdale
    elwoodsinoakdale Member Posts: 71 Member
    Options

Linda, no test is perfect. No doctor is perfect.
    You might try to google, "what is the difference between a pet scan and CT Scan."

Also, you may want to start your own thread instead of asking your question in meinken's thread and highjacking his.

Sorry
    Just learning on here, understand now
  • Skiffin16
    Skiffin16 Member Posts: 8,305 Member
    Options
    PET/CT Frequency...
    The first year I had a PET after the tonsils came out, a CT in the middle of treatment at about 9 - 10 weeks.

Then a PET about 4 months post treatment. Then CT in 6 month and next 6 month a PET...

That's been my schedule now just over two years post treatment.

The PET is around $7,500 - $10,000 as opposed to the CT being around $1,500 - $2,000.

So you can see why the insurance company is tight on the PET... I'm only approved for once a year.

JG
  • sweetblood22
    sweetblood22 Member Posts: 3,228
    Options
    I have not had any scans
    I have not had any scans since I ended radiation, and so far, no plans to have a PET or CT Scan. I have an appt on 9/2 with my RO. The only thing I have been getting are chest X-rays. A lot of people I know, only get scans every six months. Edit: Meinken, how many scans total have you had since treatment ended. Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but it seems like a lot. Also, I should mention I'm allergic to the diagnostic dye, which is probably one reason they don't want to make me have scans with contrast unless necesary.

Being the HUGE sci fi fantasy geek that I am, I sure wish I was in Atlanta for Dragon*Con. Sounds like fun, I'd go in a heartbeat. I had plans to go to the Pennsylvania Renaissance Faire, this stupid weather is messing with my weekend. :( I may have to post-pone my fun until next weekend.
  • meinken
    meinken Member Posts: 38
    Options

I have not had any scans
    I have not had any scans since I ended radiation, and so far, no plans to have a PET or CT Scan. I have an appt on 9/2 with my RO. The only thing I have been getting are chest X-rays. A lot of people I know, only get scans every six months. Edit: Meinken, how many scans total have you had since treatment ended. Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but it seems like a lot. Also, I should mention I'm allergic to the diagnostic dye, which is probably one reason they don't want to make me have scans with contrast unless necesary.

Being the HUGE sci fi fantasy geek that I am, I sure wish I was in Atlanta for Dragon*Con. Sounds like fun, I'd go in a heartbeat. I had plans to go to the Pennsylvania Renaissance Faire, this stupid weather is messing with my weekend. :( I may have to post-pone my fun until next weekend.

Sorry You'll Be Missing Dragon Con
    Shatner and Stan Lee this year!! I'm Glad that the whole cancer thing happened between Dragon Con's for me. Gonna let my Geek Flag fly. Haven't missed a DC in 25 years.

Maybe I'll see you there next year.
  • meinken
    meinken Member Posts: 38
    Options

I have not had any scans

Scans...Lots and Lots
    The Med Onc. has had me getting scans every 3 months. I don't mind too much, good insurance! But it is a pain timewise. He's finally moving it to 6 months. Hopefully fewer after this one. Seems like a lot, cause the single pet scans became mri of head, w/contrast neck without and ct of chest. I'm fine with scans, as long as they keep comming up negative!:)
  • Hondo
    Hondo Member Posts: 6,636 Member
    Options
    meinken said:

Scans...Lots and Lots
    The Med Onc. has had me getting scans every 3 months. I don't mind too much, good insurance! But it is a pain timewise. He's finally moving it to 6 months. Hopefully fewer after this one. Seems like a lot, cause the single pet scans became mri of head, w/contrast neck without and ct of chest. I'm fine with scans, as long as they keep comming up negative!:)

PEt's
    On my first treatment did not do a PET till 1 year that is when they seen I still had C. The second & third time did a PET every 6 months for the last 6 years because the PETs come back dirty every time.

Just call me Dirty Hondo