THIS IS UNFORGIVABLE

mopar
mopar Member Posts: 1,972 Member
http://health.msn.com/health-topics/cancer/cancer-drug-shortages-getting-worse-fda-says-2?gt1=31036

As discussed here earlier, some cancer drugs are on 'short supply'. As I read this article I was disgusted at the flimsy but very disconcerting excuses - 'misprints on drug label', 'contamination'. Who's policing this branch of our system? With all the other 'czars' that we currently pay mucho $$ to, do you think they could come up with a better plan to monitor and facilitate our medications?

Sorry, ladies. But to know that people are being told they 'can't have chemo today' because of this situation is just beyond belief. Not to mention that a few of you have had to change your treatment plan because the chemo of choice is not available.

I'm going to go take a breather now and pray that this is going to change.

(((HUGS)))
Monika

Comments

• carolenk
    carolenk Member Posts: 907 Member
    I hope us Yanks don't have
    I hope us Yanks don't have to leave the country for cancer treatment. It makes you feel sick to think of people being denied a treatment because there isn't enough profit incentive to make the drug.

LaundryQueen is in Tijuana, Mexico at the Immunity Therapy Center & she told me that she got a chest x-ray & an abdominal ultrasound for $75 US dollars! The next time someone writes in to say they need treatment but have no insurance, maybe I'll suggest that they go to Tijuana!

Carolen
  • poopergirl14052
    poopergirl14052 Member Posts: 1,183 Member
    sickenning
    this makes me so angry when I see this on the news or read an articles. I bet there is no shortage of Viagara!!!. Come on big pharma,we depend on these drugs to survive. I am hoping things will improve..val
  • lindaprocopio
    lindaprocopio Member Posts: 1,980

sickenning
    this makes me so angry when I see this on the news or read an articles. I bet there is no shortage of Viagara!!!. Come on big pharma,we depend on these drugs to survive. I am hoping things will improve..val

Doxil shortage related to them going off patent?
    I didn't realize that. I thought when Doxil went off patent that it would be a good thing because the ridiculously high cost would be driven down. Shows how little I know about Big Pharma. :(
  • Hissy_Fitz
    Hissy_Fitz Member Posts: 1,834

Doxil shortage related to them going off patent?
    I didn't realize that. I thought when Doxil went off patent that it would be a good thing because the ridiculously high cost would be driven down. Shows how little I know about Big Pharma. :(

I had a discussion with my
    I had a discussion with my doctor about this very thing yesterday (my surgeon, not my oncologist). His response? "I think the government is establishing some panels to discuss this, perhaps some kind of subsidy for producing low-profit essential drugs. In time, I'm sure they will work something out.". II told him that people with cancer do not have "time."

Carlene
  • Tethys41
    Tethys41 Member Posts: 1,382 Member
    carolenk said:

I hope us Yanks don't have
    I hope us Yanks don't have to leave the country for cancer treatment. It makes you feel sick to think of people being denied a treatment because there isn't enough profit incentive to make the drug.

LaundryQueen is in Tijuana, Mexico at the Immunity Therapy Center & she told me that she got a chest x-ray & an abdominal ultrasound for $75 US dollars! The next time someone writes in to say they need treatment but have no insurance, maybe I'll suggest that they go to Tijuana!

Carolen

Mexic0
    That's a great suggestion Carolen. I went to Mexico during my treatment to receive integrative therapies, but they also offer chemo therapy there. I think the full treatment at the hospital I went to, including 3 chemo treatments, integrative therapies, and a hospital room for 4 total weeks (3 visits), was about $54,000. The costs in the US are obscene.
  • carolenk
    carolenk Member Posts: 907 Member

I had a discussion with my
    I had a discussion with my doctor about this very thing yesterday (my surgeon, not my oncologist). His response? "I think the government is establishing some panels to discuss this, perhaps some kind of subsidy for producing low-profit essential drugs. In time, I'm sure they will work something out.". II told him that people with cancer do not have "time."

Carlene

No kidding, Carlene, time is
    No kidding, Carlene, time is so precious to everyone--especially us survivors...sigh.