partial bowel obstruction

Options
kayandok
kayandok Member Posts: 1,202 Member
On Monday, I thought was going to die from pain in my upper stomach. I knew right away that the bowels were doing something weird. I went into the doctor, and he confirmed that I had a partial bowel obstuction and said I could see if it resolved or go into the hosptal. I leave on Thursday (today) for Seattle and then to LA, for surgery on the 31st. I was afraid if I went into the hospital, I would never get out in tme to to get to surgery, but if I didn't, it could close all the way, and they would even let me on the plane. I was in MAJOR pain for a couple days and then WALA! it all came out yesterday. I have been ordered to only take liquids, for a week, so I hope I have the strenght to make it through surgery. I plan on getting some protein drinks when I arrive. Meanwhile, vegitable juice and water, maybe some ice cream??!

Comments

• poopergirl14052
    poopergirl14052 Member Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    Wish things would get better
    for you and you could breeze through the surgery without any added stress. Bowel obstructions are very painful so I am sure they will lookat it during your surgery. You will be in my thoughts and I know you are a very strong woman too..big girl teal panties will help you along the way as well..Teal blessings..val
  • clamryn
    clamryn Member Posts: 508
    Options
    Praying for you
    Oh Kathleen, I have been praying and praying for you. I am so glad the bowels did their job. We sure get excited over the functioning of our organs. Yayyyy. I didn't want you to go into the hospital to have it taken care of. Now you can get on with the plan of action. I am so looking forward to hearing good news from you after you get this surgery done.

((((Lots of Hugs to you))))
    Linda
  • carolyn45
    carolyn45 Member Posts: 100
    Options
    A sign?
    Let's hope and pray that your victory with your bowels is the harbinger of great things to come in your surgery. Make wonderful protein smoothies--why not with ice cream, too? Your body will tell you what it wants/need. Godspeed on your travels. International flights are enough to wear down anyone, so drink tons of water. AND, order a wheel chair for those long walks in the airports. You CAN do it on your own, but conserving your energy is good at a time like this. Big hugs to you.
  • Mwee
    Mwee Member Posts: 1,338
    Options
    do smoothies count as liquids?
    I make terrific smoothies with fruit, yogurt and juices..... would they work out for you? They are very filling, good for you and yummy, too. I'm so glad your obstruction cleared itself. I never thought I'd appreciate working intestines as much as I do.
    ((((HUGS)))) Maria
  • Tethys41
    Tethys41 Member Posts: 1,382 Member
    Options
    Whew
    So glad it resolved itself and you can move ahead to your surgery. My prayers are with you that your travel is safe and your surgery is a great success.
  • Hissy_Fitz
    Hissy_Fitz Member Posts: 1,834
    Options
    Kathleen.....I'm so glad you
    Kathleen.....I'm so glad you didn't have to choose. That would have been a really hard choice to make.

I know about the pain from a bowel obstruction - had one just prior to my de-bulking surgery, and it is indeed awful. It sent me to the ER after a couple of hours, even though I loathe the ER at night.

The threat (more like a guarantee) of another one was my motivation for having the hernia repair. The surgeon called it a "bowel strangulation waiting to happen", and that was all it took.

I am praying for a stellar outcome from your surgery. Though the thought of going back under the knife terrifies me more than ever, I still think you are doing the right thing. It's exactly what I would do in your place.

Carlene
  • carolenk
    carolenk Member Posts: 907 Member
    Options

Kathleen.....I'm so glad you
    Kathleen.....I'm so glad you didn't have to choose. That would have been a really hard choice to make.

I know about the pain from a bowel obstruction - had one just prior to my de-bulking surgery, and it is indeed awful. It sent me to the ER after a couple of hours, even though I loathe the ER at night.

The threat (more like a guarantee) of another one was my motivation for having the hernia repair. The surgeon called it a "bowel strangulation waiting to happen", and that was all it took.

I am praying for a stellar outcome from your surgery. Though the thought of going back under the knife terrifies me more than ever, I still think you are doing the right thing. It's exactly what I would do in your place.

Carlene

Whey protein
    I don't know if you will be in the US long enough to get built up on whey protein powder in a smoothie. Believe it or not, putting a half avocado in the protein shake makes it creamy & delicious. Just have to blend the avocado in a small amount if water before adding more water, whey protein and fruit.

Sorry to hear of you suffering. I dread the thought of a bowel obstruction even a partial one.

(((hugs)))

Carolen
  • wfisaac
    wfisaac Member Posts: 60
    Options
    Hmmmm.....
    I was very interested to see this post tonight because just this afternoon I ended up in Urgent Care because I started to have some incredible double up kind of pain while at work. My oncologist is about a 2 hour drive away and my regular doctor wasn't in today so I had to see the doctor handling Urgent Care. I told him I had some concern is might be somehow related to some bowel issues and that I am an Ovarian Cancer patient but he didn't think it had anything to do with the cancer. He said it's probably just a stomach bug. I didn't leave there feeling very confident about it. I wanted to hope it wasn't anything more than a bug but I just don't know.

Kayandok, did you also have some lower back and side aches as well?

I am very glad to hear it cleared up for you. I hope I have a "Wala" moment as well! :-)

I pray for the best for your upcoming surgery.
  • Lisa13Q
    Lisa13Q Member Posts: 677
    Options
    Jay Robb
    His is the best protein around...so glad your bowels resolved...so sorry you have to go through this.....please keep us posted......smoothies are liquid.....
  • lindaprocopio
    lindaprocopio Member Posts: 1,980
    Options
    Lisa13Q said:

Jay Robb
    His is the best protein around...so glad your bowels resolved...so sorry you have to go through this.....please keep us posted......smoothies are liquid.....

((((Kathleen)))) Safe travels, dear one.
    & so the adventure continues. You can do this; you know that. We all hold you close in our thoughts and prayers.
  • mopar
    mopar Member Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    PRAYING FOR 'SMOOTH SAILING'~
    Well, as if you needed something else to deal with. But thank God it worked itself 'out' so to speak! Liquids will be great to keep things going. Protein shakes will be wonderful to keep up your strength. I agree with the whey powder right now, as it will get the nutrients to your system quicker than regular protein drinks, and also keeps things moving along - whey is good for that.

Sending oodles of hugs to you, My Dear! Bunches of prayers, too!

Monika
  • Hissy_Fitz
    Hissy_Fitz Member Posts: 1,834
    Options
    wfisaac said:

Hmmmm.....
    I was very interested to see this post tonight because just this afternoon I ended up in Urgent Care because I started to have some incredible double up kind of pain while at work. My oncologist is about a 2 hour drive away and my regular doctor wasn't in today so I had to see the doctor handling Urgent Care. I told him I had some concern is might be somehow related to some bowel issues and that I am an Ovarian Cancer patient but he didn't think it had anything to do with the cancer. He said it's probably just a stomach bug. I didn't leave there feeling very confident about it. I wanted to hope it wasn't anything more than a bug but I just don't know.

Kayandok, did you also have some lower back and side aches as well?

I am very glad to hear it cleared up for you. I hope I have a "Wala" moment as well! :-)

I pray for the best for your upcoming surgery.

Bowel obstruction pain comes
    Bowel obstruction pain comes in "waves", very much like labor.

Hope this helps.

Carlene
  • wfisaac
    wfisaac Member Posts: 60
    Options

Bowel obstruction pain comes
    Bowel obstruction pain comes in "waves", very much like labor.

Hope this helps.

Carlene

Yes, that is very much how I
    Yes, that is very much how I explained it to the doctor. He just thought I needed to take Immodium and drink apple juice for a couple days. I didn't feel right about that so I did not take it.
  • MK_4Dani
    MK_4Dani Member Posts: 314
    Options
    Kathleen
    I am glad the bowel obstruction worked itself out. You are in my prayers for safe travels, successful surgery and fast recovery. Please keep us posted!
    Teal hugs,
    Mary