new here and have a question about the powerport

Options
debbingo
debbingo Member Posts: 3
I just got the powerport put in 2 months ago and when I went for blood drawn, the port had turned around to where the nubs were facing inside...my nurse did not know what to do about it so I grabbed it and turned it back around. the next day it is backwards again.
I called the surgeon and he says it's impossible. has anyone had this happen to them.

Comments

• skipper54
    skipper54 Member Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Never heard of it but
    it's a wonder. Usually if anything can go wrong it will happen to me. Obviously the surgeon is wrong in saying it can't happen. It just did. It is rather unusual though. Maybe the surgeon is willing to take a look?
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    I've never heard
    of it flipping around likie that but then strange things can and do happen. I've had my port in for 2 yrs tomorrow and it's never done such a thing. My suggestion is while it's backwards just go to the Dr. office and have his/her nurse check it. The size it is it seems like it would be VERY painful if somehow it moved around that much. Just my thoughts.

Let us know what happens.

Susan
  • Lighthouse_7
    Lighthouse_7 Member Posts: 1,566 Member
    Options
    Rague said:

I've never heard
    of it flipping around likie that but then strange things can and do happen. I've had my port in for 2 yrs tomorrow and it's never done such a thing. My suggestion is while it's backwards just go to the Dr. office and have his/her nurse check it. The size it is it seems like it would be VERY painful if somehow it moved around that much. Just my thoughts.

Let us know what happens.

Susan

Sorry never heard of that. I
    Sorry never heard of that. I hope you get to the bottom of it.
    Hugs,
    Wanda
  • mollieb
    mollieb Member Posts: 148
    Options
    Impossible or not . . .
    If it happened, it's not impossible. I haven't had any trouble at all with my port, but if it had turned around I would have made sure my medical oncologist saw it -- he can deal with the surgeon! This just doesn't sound right; if I were in your shoes I would insist that it be fixed.
  • debbingo
    debbingo Member Posts: 3
    Options
    mollieb said:

Impossible or not . . .
    If it happened, it's not impossible. I haven't had any trouble at all with my port, but if it had turned around I would have made sure my medical oncologist saw it -- he can deal with the surgeon! This just doesn't sound right; if I were in your shoes I would insist that it be fixed.

My oncologist did see it and
    My oncologist did see it and was dumb founded on why the nubs were missing...so as soon as they let go of it I grabbed it and turned it around, and after sleeping it turned backwards again. I called the doc and waiting on a call back...I am just worried cause of it moving like that it gets kinked or I start to bleed internally. My friends all say if it can't happen it will to me.
  • camul
    camul Member Posts: 2,537
    Options
    Nope.
    Have had mine for 8 months and haven't had this happen, nor have I heard of it. I would go back to the surgeon let him see it for himself.
  • mollyz
    mollyz Member Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    camul said:

Nope.
    Have had mine for 8 months and haven't had this happen, nor have I heard of it. I would go back to the surgeon let him see it for himself.

I've heard of them moving
    I heard that once or twice, but never really turning around,if you go back maybe in some of the older post or some of the ladies that's had there's a long time maybe able to help you. if it's turning around it sounds like it's not installed correctly cause it's suppose to be in some veins,i know when mine was removed my blood pressure ran up a little bit but after that i was fine. hope you find out whats going on. MOLLYZ
  • dbhadra
    dbhadra Member Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    mollyz said:

I've heard of them moving
    I heard that once or twice, but never really turning around,if you go back maybe in some of the older post or some of the ladies that's had there's a long time maybe able to help you. if it's turning around it sounds like it's not installed correctly cause it's suppose to be in some veins,i know when mine was removed my blood pressure ran up a little bit but after that i was fine. hope you find out whats going on. MOLLYZ

agree with earlier post,
    if it happened then it's not impossible! what did the nurse say when you turned in around? could she then draw the blood without a problem? Sounds like it is not very stable - it should not move. I asked the other day (I;ve had mine in for 8 months) if it could be dislodged, and the nurse told me it would need a pretty hard hit to get dislodged.

Laura
  • laughs_a_lot
    laughs_a_lot Member Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Generally
    I don't feel that I have a port. However if I lay on that side just so, then I know I have one and tend to turn in a different direction. No turning for me though.
  • sinai
    sinai Member Posts: 24
    Options
    My surgeon told me that it
    My surgeon told me that it was going to be sewn to my muscle, I can feel it but when I went to get my first chemo one of the oncologist nurses said that it was too deep inside and she could not get any blood flow back. Imagine me in my first treatment and the nurse telling me that!