Anyone have strange sensations during infusion of Oxaliplatin?

Options
Hi, having my first infusion of Oxaliplatin on Friday in combination with 14 days of Xeloda. Heard there were some side effects during the infusion. Can anyone shed any light on that for me. Just would like to be prepared. All the best to everyone.

Mary

Comments

• Buzzard
    Buzzard Member Posts: 3,043 Member
    Options
    Just watch for reactions other than normal.........
    Itchy, or hives...allergic reactions...jaw spasm sensations on first bite of anything...cold sensitivity to any temp 55* or below...in drink or touch...caused by platin based drugs. Drink plenty of water, stay hydrated...start nausea meds about an hour before infusion times. compazine,zofran,anzemet, or emend is the best but most expensive...hopefully you will be one of the lucky ones to not have many side effects...there are way to many drugs on the market for a chemo patient to suffer while doing chemo...use them if necessary, don't be afraid to ask for them, thats what they are there for, and I tried to sleep during my infusion periods...made the time go by quickly..........buzz
  • lizzydavis
    lizzydavis Member Posts: 893
    Options
    Buzzard said:

Just watch for reactions other than normal.........
    Itchy, or hives...allergic reactions...jaw spasm sensations on first bite of anything...cold sensitivity to any temp 55* or below...in drink or touch...caused by platin based drugs. Drink plenty of water, stay hydrated...start nausea meds about an hour before infusion times. compazine,zofran,anzemet, or emend is the best but most expensive...hopefully you will be one of the lucky ones to not have many side effects...there are way to many drugs on the market for a chemo patient to suffer while doing chemo...use them if necessary, don't be afraid to ask for them, thats what they are there for, and I tried to sleep during my infusion periods...made the time go by quickly..........buzz

Well said, Buzz!
    Well said, Buzz!

Ditto!

Drink plenty of water, stay hydrated...start nausea meds about an hour before infusion times. compazine,zofran,anzemet, or emend is the best but most expensive...hopefully you will be one of the lucky ones to not have many side effects... I tried to sleep during my infusion periods...made the time go by quickly...

Well said, Buzz!

Lizzy
  • Marianne313
    Marianne313 Member Posts: 124
    Options
    side effects during...
    My aunt just completed her 4th treatment on 8/18 and has never had any side effects during the treatment however, she has had some side effects after such as tingling in fingers when touching something cold, diarrhea and slight headaches. I do want to say that it seems as though the more treatments she has the more severe the side effects become and the longer they last, still, nothing too serious except, this past treatment she became dizzy, lightheaded and unsteady before we even left the hospital, which has not been normal for her. Her next treatment I'm going to insist she use a blanket during the infusion even though she always says she is not cold. I'm hoping that maybe the warmth will help slow the side effects so she's not so frightened when they happen so quickly. I truly believe it's due to the fact that the more treatments you have, the more "chemo" is in your system.
  • Buzzard
    Buzzard Member Posts: 3,043 Member
    Options

side effects during...
    My aunt just completed her 4th treatment on 8/18 and has never had any side effects during the treatment however, she has had some side effects after such as tingling in fingers when touching something cold, diarrhea and slight headaches. I do want to say that it seems as though the more treatments she has the more severe the side effects become and the longer they last, still, nothing too serious except, this past treatment she became dizzy, lightheaded and unsteady before we even left the hospital, which has not been normal for her. Her next treatment I'm going to insist she use a blanket during the infusion even though she always says she is not cold. I'm hoping that maybe the warmth will help slow the side effects so she's not so frightened when they happen so quickly. I truly believe it's due to the fact that the more treatments you have, the more "chemo" is in your system.

Yes, it does accumulate in your system......
    and also yes, on the leaning and sometimes stumbling, or simply standing up and start to fall sideways like a drunk...not real bad like a Tequila drunk, just kinda like a beer buzz...lol....just sayin'.........
    I did get a warm blanket on me sometimes . I had a terrific nurse that kept me in a room by myself and kept the door closed...She was a Godsend to me........buzz
  • westie66
    westie66 Member Posts: 642
    Options
    Buzzard said:

Yes, it does accumulate in your system......
    and also yes, on the leaning and sometimes stumbling, or simply standing up and start to fall sideways like a drunk...not real bad like a Tequila drunk, just kinda like a beer buzz...lol....just sayin'.........
    I did get a warm blanket on me sometimes . I had a terrific nurse that kept me in a room by myself and kept the door closed...She was a Godsend to me........buzz

Oxaliplatin Side Effects
    Hi: I think many of us have gone through these side effects with oxaliplatin - it is known for them but not everyone gets them (see many discussion threads). They do seem to get worse over time - mine anyways (just finished 7th treatment with irenotecan and 5Fu). The side effects can be managed in some people with supplements (like L-Glutamine, Vit B6, calcium/magnesium, alpha-liloic acid, etc.) and a slower infusion rate and reduced dosage. I have reduced the neuropathy to almost nil. It is hard to tease out which chemical is causing all/most of the side effects, e.g. irenotecan and 5FU are know for severe diarrhea, oxaliplatin for neuropathy, and what happens when you have several of the chemicals. At the cancer centre I go to for treatment, we always get warm blankets because they keep the rooms very cold to alleviate nausea in patients. As well, I am given at least 5 pills plus an injection to relieve the nausea before and during treatment and some more to take for 3 days afterwards. Nausea, however, has not been a problem for me.
    Cheryl