Radical Neck Dissection and Laryngectomy Stoma

Options
Hello everyone-

My husband has been battling tongue and neck cancer. Last year he had a surgery to remove the tumor, went back a few weeks later for 2nd surgery to have clear margins. Within 6 months the tumor was back aggressivly, so he was then treated with chemo & radiation. The main tumor is still in the tongue and the Stanford Tumor Board is recommending a Radical Neck Dissection and Laryngectomy Stoma surgery within the next few weeks. We have been scouring the internet for more options. We welcome feedback from survivors that will help with our decision. Any advice or information is greatly appreciated. He is 48 years young and we have 4 children ages 23- 14.

Comments

• Hondo
    Hondo Member Posts: 6,636 Member
    Options
    Hi Angel
    I am NPC so I am not much help on your question, but there are a lot of others here who I am sure will give you the needed info. So for now I will gust welcome you to our family here on CSN.

Wishing you the best
    Hondo
  • denistd
    denistd Member Posts: 597
    Options
    Hondo said:

Hi Angel
    I am NPC so I am not much help on your question, but there are a lot of others here who I am sure will give you the needed info. So for now I will gust welcome you to our family here on CSN.

Wishing you the best
    Hondo

laryngectomy/radical neck surgery
    Hi Angel, go to laryngectomy Life, you will get all of your answers there.
  • mswijiknyc
    mswijiknyc Member Posts: 421
    Options
    Hi Angel
    You can also look at WebWhispers - you may be able to find someone in your area that is a laryngectomy that can give you more info. Talk to a Speech Language Pathologist as well. He or she may be able to answer some of your questions and give you more information.

My husband was a laryngectomy - his first option was surgery. If a radical neck dissection and laryngectomy is something that they are recommending, it may be to give your husband the best chance of NED. If you are unsure, get a second and a third opinion. Being a laryngectomy is a big change but very doable. It's all in the mindset.

I have a number of friends that are laryngectomys. If you would like to email them, or chat with them via FB, PM me and I'll give you their info :)

Hugs and Love,
    April

P.S. When I was gathering info for my husband, I received a number of emails from laryngectomys YOUNGER than him.
  • Angel6
    Angel6 Member Posts: 8
    Options

Hi Angel
    You can also look at WebWhispers - you may be able to find someone in your area that is a laryngectomy that can give you more info. Talk to a Speech Language Pathologist as well. He or she may be able to answer some of your questions and give you more information.

My husband was a laryngectomy - his first option was surgery. If a radical neck dissection and laryngectomy is something that they are recommending, it may be to give your husband the best chance of NED. If you are unsure, get a second and a third opinion. Being a laryngectomy is a big change but very doable. It's all in the mindset.

I have a number of friends that are laryngectomys. If you would like to email them, or chat with them via FB, PM me and I'll give you their info :)

Hugs and Love,
    April

P.S. When I was gathering info for my husband, I received a number of emails from laryngectomys YOUNGER than him.

thanks for the advice

thanks for the advice
  • Bob56
    Bob56 Member Posts: 5
    Options
    I had a radical neck
    I had a radical neck dissection and laryngectomy oct 4 2010 , big adjustment with the T.E.P
    and fighting thrush all the time. Had my the throat stretched twice already looks like it'll need it again soon still only able to drink my shakes, I told myself i will do anything not to get a feeding tube again even if it means one 3 shakes 4 times a day.
    I have been treated at U Hospital in cleveland, ohio stayed at "Hope Lodge" which is just next door.
    best of Luck to you and yours Angie