Latisse to regrow eyelashes and eyebrows

Fayard
Fayard Member Posts: 438 Member
Have any one heard of Latisse to help regrow eyelashes and eyebrows?

I have a friend who is a nurse and works with a plastic surgeon group.
She told me one of the doctors just went through chemo and lost all his hair, including eyebrows and eyelashes. The doctor used Latisse to accelarate the growth of hair, and it works.

My friend gave a bottle with info. Apparently this is for people who have little eyelashes and want to have more. My friend uses it too, because she lost some of both when she was pregnant.

Comments

• jazzy1
    jazzy1 Member Posts: 1,379
    Growing Eye Lashes & Eyebrows
    Hum...did you know this is a prescription? The last thing I'd need is more drugs after going thru all the toxins with chemo. Will tell you it took me approx 4 months for full eyelashes & eyebrows once more. An idea I learned, use an eyebrow brush and/or form to draw on eyebrows...works great!

What I did when I looked pale due to no eyelashes, use an eyeliner around my eyes to open them up.

Thanks for the idea~
    Jan
  • Rewriter
    Rewriter Member Posts: 493 Member
    jazzy1 said:

Growing Eye Lashes & Eyebrows
    Hum...did you know this is a prescription? The last thing I'd need is more drugs after going thru all the toxins with chemo. Will tell you it took me approx 4 months for full eyelashes & eyebrows once more. An idea I learned, use an eyebrow brush and/or form to draw on eyebrows...works great!

What I did when I looked pale due to no eyelashes, use an eyeliner around my eyes to open them up.

Thanks for the idea~
    Jan

Eyelashes, eyebrows, and other body hair
    I was wondering whether other women who have gone through carbo/taxol chemo experienced permanent changes in their eyebrows, eyelashes, and other body hair.

Prior to chemo, I had really long, dark lashes. My eyebrows were also "bushy" to the point that I needed to have them regularly waxed--now I have "bald" spots. Another change is that my underarm and leg hair is very sparse, something that is ok with me. I'd like my eyelashes back, but I mostly wonder whether these changes are unique or more of the norm.

Jill
  • jazzy1
    Rewriter said:

I was wondering whether other women who have gone through carbo/taxol chemo experienced permanent changes in their eyebrows, eyelashes, and other body hair.

Prior to chemo, I had really long, dark lashes. My eyebrows were also "bushy" to the point that I needed to have them regularly waxed--now I have "bald" spots. Another change is that my underarm and leg hair is very sparse, something that is ok with me. I'd like my eyelashes back, but I mostly wonder whether these changes are unique or more of the norm.

Jill

Hi Jill~
    I got all the hair on face and body back full tilt after 4 - 6 months. Now my eyelashes were quite sensitive and if I pulled on them even after 4 months they'd come out...ouchie! Now after 2 years they're on the lids like glue.

Wondering if the hair in these areas might be like hair on the head...seems to come in sparsely at first and take its good old time to be thick.

I do love your picture as you do have some nice eyebrows....is this a recent pic?

Best to you
    Jan
  • Rewriter
    Rewriter Member Posts: 493 Member
    jazzy1 said:

Hi Jill~
    I got all the hair on face and body back full tilt after 4 - 6 months. Now my eyelashes were quite sensitive and if I pulled on them even after 4 months they'd come out...ouchie! Now after 2 years they're on the lids like glue.

Wondering if the hair in these areas might be like hair on the head...seems to come in sparsely at first and take its good old time to be thick.

I do love your picture as you do have some nice eyebrows....is this a recent pic?

Best to you
    Jan

Hi, Jan
    I finished chemo almost three years ago; so I would imagine that significant changes to my body hair are no longer possible. I'm fine with my head hair; my eyebrows are ok except for a few bald areas; but my eyelashes are short and stubby. I don't want to complain; this is really just a curiosity.

Thanks for the compliment on my profile pic, which is almost a year old. That is what I look like now.

All the best,

Jill

P.S. Where are you in your profile pic? The ocean looks so inviting.
  • jazzy1
    Rewriter said:

Hi, Jan
    I finished chemo almost three years ago; so I would imagine that significant changes to my body hair are no longer possible. I'm fine with my head hair; my eyebrows are ok except for a few bald areas; but my eyelashes are short and stubby. I don't want to complain; this is really just a curiosity.

Thanks for the compliment on my profile pic, which is almost a year old. That is what I look like now.

All the best,

Jill

P.S. Where are you in your profile pic? The ocean looks so inviting.

Hi Jill
    One of the most difficult things during treatments...having NO HAIR!!! Took me a while to get used to viewing myself with a bald head, but in the end my hubbie and I kidded each other about fine or no hair. He called me baldy and I turned to him and told him hey buddie my hair will grow back but yours will still be THIN. Heck, that's exactly what happened. Gotta have a laugh during those stressful times!!!

We're beach people, as our favorite state is Florida. This particular area in picture was from Naples beach. So peaceful and beautiful, with blue water and white sand. Whenever I get down and out, I visualize this area as it's calming.

What do you do for enjoyment in NY...isn't that where you're from? I just love the fast-paced life in NY and NJ as been there a few times.

Enjoy,
    Jan
  • upsofloating
    upsofloating Member Posts: 466 Member
    Rewriter said:

Jill

Hi Jill, I also finished
    Hi Jill, I also finished carbo/taxol just over 3 years ago and although hair essentially came back, I also have patchy sparse areas in eyebrows that need a little help to look like my 'old' normal' and my eyelashes are also shorter and sparser. I did chemo with hair loss previously in my early 40s and hair pretty much returned to previous state, although I think head hair has been somewhat less full on one side. But we are the same age and I wonder if this contributes to less than full recovery this time around. I guess this is the least of my worries these days - but I don't leave the house without doing my usual enhancing routine ;-)
    Annie
  • Double Whammy
    Double Whammy Member Posts: 2,832 Member

Hi Jill, I also finished
    Hi Jill, I also finished carbo/taxol just over 3 years ago and although hair essentially came back, I also have patchy sparse areas in eyebrows that need a little help to look like my 'old' normal' and my eyelashes are also shorter and sparser. I did chemo with hair loss previously in my early 40s and hair pretty much returned to previous state, although I think head hair has been somewhat less full on one side. But we are the same age and I wonder if this contributes to less than full recovery this time around. I guess this is the least of my worries these days - but I don't leave the house without doing my usual enhancing routine ;-)
    Annie

Sore subject with me
    I'm now 11 months post chemo for breast cancer (Taxotere and Cytoxin). My hair is hideous - it's sparse, fine and still bald at the crown. I am not kidding when I tell you I HAVE to wear a wig or hat - I actually looked better bald than with this stuff. I won't even call it hair because in my mind it's just not. It's "fuzzy stuff", now about 2" long. This is consistent with all my body hair. My lashes are sort of back, but they're stubby and fine and light colored. I have no brows at all. I got permanent makeup in June - brows and eye liner. It has helped me feel so much better. I think Latisse might work if your hair was inclined to come back. I know women how have used it (not cancer survivors) and they have long lucious eyelashes.

Annie, I too wondered about the age thing, but there are younger women on the breast cancer board experiencing this same lack of return of hair. And all those people with MD's I see - they have no explanation . . grrrrrr

Suzanne
  • HellieC
    HellieC Member Posts: 524 Member

Sore subject with me
    I'm now 11 months post chemo for breast cancer (Taxotere and Cytoxin). My hair is hideous - it's sparse, fine and still bald at the crown. I am not kidding when I tell you I HAVE to wear a wig or hat - I actually looked better bald than with this stuff. I won't even call it hair because in my mind it's just not. It's "fuzzy stuff", now about 2" long. This is consistent with all my body hair. My lashes are sort of back, but they're stubby and fine and light colored. I have no brows at all. I got permanent makeup in June - brows and eye liner. It has helped me feel so much better. I think Latisse might work if your hair was inclined to come back. I know women how have used it (not cancer survivors) and they have long lucious eyelashes.

Annie, I too wondered about the age thing, but there are younger women on the breast cancer board experiencing this same lack of return of hair. And all those people with MD's I see - they have no explanation . . grrrrrr

Suzanne

I want to stamp my foot...........
    This hair thing is a real old rollercoaster, isn't it? It's just a constant reminder of what we've been through at a time when we want to move forward and put it behind us.

My head hair seems to be having a life of it's own - there's quite a lot of it coming along now, for which I am very grateful, but it seems to be growing in very strange directions and so styling it is difficult! I am NOT complaining, as at least there is something to style and I understand and empathise with how Suzanne must feel about the whole thing. But for the record, my eyebrows are patchy too and my lashes are thin and those darned annoying odd whiskers on my chin seem to have come back with a vengeance!

I don't know the answer to all this - all we can do is eat and exercise sensibly and hope that our bodies will sort it all out given time. But I want to stamp my foot and shout about how unfair it is that, for some ladies, the aftermath of treatment lasts so long!
    Kindest wishes
    Helen
  • livealot
    livealot Member Posts: 19
    HellieC said:

I want to stamp my foot...........
    This hair thing is a real old rollercoaster, isn't it? It's just a constant reminder of what we've been through at a time when we want to move forward and put it behind us.

My head hair seems to be having a life of it's own - there's quite a lot of it coming along now, for which I am very grateful, but it seems to be growing in very strange directions and so styling it is difficult! I am NOT complaining, as at least there is something to style and I understand and empathise with how Suzanne must feel about the whole thing. But for the record, my eyebrows are patchy too and my lashes are thin and those darned annoying odd whiskers on my chin seem to have come back with a vengeance!

I don't know the answer to all this - all we can do is eat and exercise sensibly and hope that our bodies will sort it all out given time. But I want to stamp my foot and shout about how unfair it is that, for some ladies, the aftermath of treatment lasts so long!
    Kindest wishes
    Helen

Eyelashes!!
    Hi Ladies!
    Just a word about eyelashes...mine are Not what they used to be post chemos. I didn't hear positive things about Latisse, but still wanted more lashes (eyebrows took a beating too but I do eyebrow powder and brush and it works OK.Last month I got eyelash extensions- went to a guy that uses the Xtreme Lash technique. I Love Them!! They will last about 3-4 weeks and then you get them "filled". It doesn't look fake but Fabulous! It will be 5 wks. since I had them and they still look good. I'll go for a fill very soon. This won't work if you have NO eyelashes, but great if they are short or thin. It's a bit expensive, but I figure I won't be using my IRA that I've saved...so why not??