• scouty
    scouty Member Posts: 1,965 Member
    Options
    tootsie1 said:

Great
    This is awesome advice for all of us!

*hugs*
    Gail

P.S. I do still want to get together with you, but I think I better lose some weight before we do! *L*

Now that got a big ole laugh neighbor!
    I guess folks may think I am "perfect" in my lifestyle but that is not true! I was a smoker when I got cancer (****), quit and had my ovaries taken out after a scare at about the same time for instant menopause. BOOM 2 years later I had gained 45 pounds!!! I was fat for the first time in my life and didn't even realize it, I didn't want to. I did one of those BMI calculations and found out I was 3 pounds away from being obese and freaked. That was 25 pounds ago and I still have about 10 to go.

I don't beat myself up for much anymore and just do the best I can do. My testing results (CEA and other blood levels) are still the most important numbers to me and probably always will be.

But I did laugh out loud at your comment Gail! I'm 57 years old so you won't see me make any of those abbreviations that make people my age look silly. I prefer the old fashion way of spelling it all out! So thanks for the laugh and yes we will have to catch up this fall. I'm still doing a lot of canning (something I never knew how to do until after I got cancer).

Hugs neighbor!
    Lisa P.
  • scouty
    scouty Member Posts: 1,965 Member
    Options
    luvmum said:

Dear Lisa P
    Thank you so much for your advice! I have a question about sugar here: can my mum eat 'organic brown sugar'? can she eat 'honey'? she doesn't like vegie juice that much and I make her apple celery or apple carrot juice everyday, is that ok?

I really appreciate your help and your post!
    Best, Dora

Hi Dora
    The choice between brown sugar (organic or not) and honey is always honey for cancer patients due to the insulin spike all sugars (glucose) cause within the body.

"According to Lewis Cantley, director of the Cancer Center at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center at Harvard Medical School, as much as 80 percent of all cancers are "driven by either mutations or environmental factors that work to enhance or mimic the effect of insulin on the incipient tumor cells," Gary Taubes reports." Dr Mercola says in a recent article.

So avoiding insulin spikes from foods that are high on the gylcemic index is very important to those in the fight!

As far as you juices, she could be doing much worse and is getting some good nutrition from it. Apples are great for having citric pectin in them but the peel is important there. There is alot to be said for the old saying "an apple a day keeps the doctor away".

Your are a sweetie for taking care of you Mom but remember to take care of you too!
  • pete43lost_at_sea
    pete43lost_at_sea Member Posts: 3,900 Member
    Options
    vitamin D is a daily supplment used by a few of us
    just thought its so important to crc
    see steve's recent post or heaps on vitamin d3 in the archives
    http://eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2011-08/vdio-ctv081611.php

you can get it from food, the sun and supplements if needed.
    just check your blood levels

hugs,
    pete

ps everyones invited to join the walking post
  • PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866 Member
    Options
    For those who want to print list
    Link to printable image.
    I didn't think you'd mind if I bumped this up and also make it into an image.
    I'll post link to original thread on my expressions page where I put this.
    Thanks again for your help
    -p
  • soccermom13
    soccermom13 Member Posts: 224
    Options
    Great post but you need to add #11!
    In regards to #10 NO DANG IT!!! CRC was NOT the best thing that ever happened to me!!! I had a full life before CRC, with a great husband, kids, family, life full of activities and friends What it did for me was to lose a full ski season which led into loosing a full mountain/road bike season but it was a cold winter with lots of wind and an incredibly wet spring which jumped right into a hootttt summer. Chemo caused my hair to thin so horribly that I had to cut it close to the scalp but then I got to wear those dangly earrings you could not see because I had too much hair. HA HA HA I had a pretty good attitude prior but I have an exceptional one now. I don't let those little things pile up into big ones, I have more empathy for the grouchy person in line behind me, I cry easily at sad stories, I hug more. I show love more. I pay more attention to my diet but I still love chocolate chip cookies too. I appreciate life more and I choose to live it to the fullest. So you should add #11 - attitude is everything and more! But I would have chosen to not go thru the ugliness of chemo, have surgery twice etc.,etc.,etc. if I could have a do over. I do believe in me and my potential!

thanks for the list on diet items - I continue to learn more every day about our choices.
    Hugs!
    Shanna