CT Dad w/ St IV EC 6/22/11

Options
Hello all,

As I start my first post - my dad is almost two months in his new life with cancer. This was a shock for us all, he went to the hospital for a heart procedure but the dr.'s were forced to stop mainly b/c the heart was beating too fast (due to the fact he was bleeding from what we now know to be EC).

My dad just finished his third chemo treatment (FolFox), at the Smilow Cancer Hospital at Yale New Haven. My dad's cancer has spread to his liver (adenocarcinoma) and his first pet scan shows a questionable spot on his colon. His doctor has said he is not a candidate for surgery and can't take part in trials b/c of the bleeding from the EC. (For now or always is my question)

What I've have seen on the internet about this type of cancer at this stage is scary. My dad is 65yrs old he now weighs about 145 (normally 160). I have some questions...has anyone had any success with cancer trials? Can my dad go into remission and/or then get surgery to remove the tumors if they have shrunk enough?

Thanks for you help and advice in advance! God Bless!
Jim

Comments

• oriontj
    oriontj Member Posts: 375
    Options
    Not sure
    My husband was in a clincial trial. Just had one lymph node involved. We felt it helped. He was clear for a year and it came back in the same place and he's doing chemo now.

I have found out that you really need to ask the drs questions and get the answers.

Generally with 4b there is not a surgical option but you never know. Each person is so different.

jan
  • This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • cher76
    cher76 Member Posts: 292
    Options
    My husband was dx with stage
    My husband was dx with stage IV EC in Oct of 2010. Radiation and surgery are not a choice. Presently he has been on Erbitux (generic name Cetuximab) and Irinotecan (also known as Camptosar) since March with good results. The tumor has shrunk and places where he had mets have resolved. He started chemo in Nov with 5FU, docetaxel, and oxaliplatin, then did a clinical study in January and February and is now in the above mentioned drugs. So far they have done the best. We were just told again after his CT scan last week that surgery would never be an option. It is hard to come to terms with, and we will continue to hope and pray, but mainly we pray for time.
    Cheryl
    Wife of Rickie dx Stage IV EC Oct. 2010
  • json_2011
    json_2011 Member Posts: 100
    Options
    in this togeather
    Hey we just found out my Mother has stage iv too. she has done one treatment and got pretty sick a few days after treatment. I am about to move down and spend as much time as possible. I guess will try to stay strong for our loved ones . Mother is on chemo drugs cystplatin and a form of taxol. Stay in touch with us and let us know what is going on.

Jason
  • json_2011
    json_2011 Member Posts: 100
    Options
    unknown said:

This comment has been removed by the Moderator

not aways
    There has been one on here that they did do surgrey . Im sure there are more out there in the world that has maybey had srugery.
  • SanFran Fan
    SanFran Fan Member Posts: 9
    Options
    cher76 said:

My husband was dx with stage
    My husband was dx with stage IV EC in Oct of 2010. Radiation and surgery are not a choice. Presently he has been on Erbitux (generic name Cetuximab) and Irinotecan (also known as Camptosar) since March with good results. The tumor has shrunk and places where he had mets have resolved. He started chemo in Nov with 5FU, docetaxel, and oxaliplatin, then did a clinical study in January and February and is now in the above mentioned drugs. So far they have done the best. We were just told again after his CT scan last week that surgery would never be an option. It is hard to come to terms with, and we will continue to hope and pray, but mainly we pray for time.
    Cheryl
    Wife of Rickie dx Stage IV EC Oct. 2010

Thank you for getting back
    Thank you for getting back to me. It is good to hear that you can get good results from the chemo. I guess I was holding out for a miracle, thinking surgery as an option. Praying for time and a good quality of life is what we should be asking for, I guess. I'll be praying for Rickie and your family.
    Jim
  • SanFran Fan
    SanFran Fan Member Posts: 9
    Options
    json_2011 said:

in this togeather
    Hey we just found out my Mother has stage iv too. she has done one treatment and got pretty sick a few days after treatment. I am about to move down and spend as much time as possible. I guess will try to stay strong for our loved ones . Mother is on chemo drugs cystplatin and a form of taxol. Stay in touch with us and let us know what is going on.

Jason

Sorry to hear about your
    Sorry to hear about your mom. My thoughts and prayers will be with her and your family. My dad is on Folfox, just finished treatment #3. He seems to be doing better, his next Pet scan is Aug. 30.

Keep in touch
    Jim