My own 20 year anniversary. Hope for others and the future!

Options
I'm new to this site as well as support systems all together. I've replied to a few postings but just figured out how to make my own.

I just thought I'd give some hope to people currently going through cancer, specifically Hodgkin's as I just hit 20 years of being cancer free and surviving a bone marrow transplant!

It hasn't been an easy 20 years, but after initially being given three months to live, I'm still here.

I've got allot of years behind me and have been through just about everything a Hodgkin's patient can go through. So if anyone needs something and I can give it, it's yours.

I had no mentor in cancer so maybe my purpose is to be there for someone else. Just know that whatever you are going through, you have the strength inside of you to do it, even if you don't think you do. Believe in yourself and when you don't have the strength to do that, let others believe for you. Have hope and never stop dreaming!

TJ

Comments

• gpespinosa
    gpespinosa Member Posts: 25
    Options
    Im so excited for you!!!
    Hi TJ,
    I am new to this site and support groups as well; this is actually my very first post :)
    Its great to hear you have beat the odds and I wish you many many more years of being cancer free. Next month will be my year anniversary of being diagnosed and I have currently been in remission for about 5 months. Your story gives me hope that I can stay that way. Hope and faith makes all the difference when one goes through this lovely journey, but everything does happen for a reason so we just have to look for the positive.
  • allmost60
    allmost60 Member Posts: 3,178 Member
    Options

Im so excited for you!!!
    Hi TJ,
    I am new to this site and support groups as well; this is actually my very first post :)
    Its great to hear you have beat the odds and I wish you many many more years of being cancer free. Next month will be my year anniversary of being diagnosed and I have currently been in remission for about 5 months. Your story gives me hope that I can stay that way. Hope and faith makes all the difference when one goes through this lovely journey, but everything does happen for a reason so we just have to look for the positive.

Hope and support..
    Hi guys,
    I just wanted to add a few words about supporting each other and passing on the hope through sharing our stories with each other. I can truely say that without the support of the people in this group, I'm not sure if I would be as happy or as healthy feeling as I feel today... (especially my mental health)! A year ago this month..(Aug 2010).. I was absolutely terrified at what was ahead of me. That whole month was a blurr to me when I look back on it now. I hadn't started chemo yet, port wasn't in, didn't really know if I had a year, 2 years, or whatever to live, and the list of worries and fears goes on and on. Every day I would log on to CSN for support...that much, I "DO" remember. And...everyday someone in the group would answer my questions, and help get me through another scary day. I will be forever grateful to everyone. I think sharing our stories and experiences is as much life saving as the chemo treatments themselves...seriously. I just hope those that get better will continue to post and keep the hope going. So many post while they are sick and then stray away when they get better. I have a feeling I will be on here till the end, because I can't imagine loosing contact with the people that helped me so much during my darkest days. So...for you "newbies"...allmost60..(next month 61) will hopefully be in her 80's and still posting...so you better get use to it...ha! Keep coming back and keep sharing ...it will help so many.
    Love...Sue..(FNHL-grade2-stage3-typeA-diagnosed 6/10)
  • merrywinner
    merrywinner Member Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    allmost60 said:

Hope and support..
    Hi guys,
    I just wanted to add a few words about supporting each other and passing on the hope through sharing our stories with each other. I can truely say that without the support of the people in this group, I'm not sure if I would be as happy or as healthy feeling as I feel today... (especially my mental health)! A year ago this month..(Aug 2010).. I was absolutely terrified at what was ahead of me. That whole month was a blurr to me when I look back on it now. I hadn't started chemo yet, port wasn't in, didn't really know if I had a year, 2 years, or whatever to live, and the list of worries and fears goes on and on. Every day I would log on to CSN for support...that much, I "DO" remember. And...everyday someone in the group would answer my questions, and help get me through another scary day. I will be forever grateful to everyone. I think sharing our stories and experiences is as much life saving as the chemo treatments themselves...seriously. I just hope those that get better will continue to post and keep the hope going. So many post while they are sick and then stray away when they get better. I have a feeling I will be on here till the end, because I can't imagine loosing contact with the people that helped me so much during my darkest days. So...for you "newbies"...allmost60..(next month 61) will hopefully be in her 80's and still posting...so you better get use to it...ha! Keep coming back and keep sharing ...it will help so many.
    Love...Sue..(FNHL-grade2-stage3-typeA-diagnosed 6/10)

Aww Sue!
    I too will be around as much as I can. You have been and continue to be such a help to everyone. Thank you for that. When I was going through treatment and spending so much time at home it was easier to keep up with the posts. I really miss not being in the loop as much now. But I will try. Love,Mary
  • merrywinner
    Options
    Welcome TJ!
    So glad you found us. I think most folks accidentally stumble upon this site and I know for me it has been a lifesaver. There is always someone here that can relate,have the answer,support and many times laugh! Genuinely good,good people who really get the whole thing. Congratulations on your continued success. What a feat you accomplished.Your knowledge and experience will bring comfort to so many. Mary
  • merrywinner
    Options

Im so excited for you!!!
    Hi TJ,

Welcome to you too gpespinosa!
    Glad you we're able to find us too. Anything you need,anytime,someone will be here for you. Great group of people in a safe and non threatening place. Mary
  • TJ74
    TJ74 Member Posts: 18
    Options

Im so excited for you!!!
    Hi TJ,

Everything has a purpose
    It's been a long journey for me and I'm glad I can give hope to anyone. I agree that there is a purpose for everything I think lol). I haven't totally figured out the purpose of having to go through a bone marrow transplant though. My 2 friends died from it, and I made it. I have been alone and isolated for so long. Does everyone really think there is a purpose for everything? Maybe bad things just happen sometimes for no reason. But good can always come out of it. My mom used to tell me when I was sick, (well she still says it) that God has a purpose for me and what I went through, but I think some of the time we won't know what the reason or the purpose is, we just have to trust and have faith and keep hoping.
  • gpespinosa
    Options
    TJ74 said:

Everything has a purpose
    It's been a long journey for me and I'm glad I can give hope to anyone. I agree that there is a purpose for everything I think lol). I haven't totally figured out the purpose of having to go through a bone marrow transplant though. My 2 friends died from it, and I made it. I have been alone and isolated for so long. Does everyone really think there is a purpose for everything? Maybe bad things just happen sometimes for no reason. But good can always come out of it. My mom used to tell me when I was sick, (well she still says it) that God has a purpose for me and what I went through, but I think some of the time we won't know what the reason or the purpose is, we just have to trust and have faith and keep hoping.

The purpose will come to us one day
    I come from a big family; a couple of siblings, lots of nieces and nephews, and tons of cousins, aunts, and uncles, but thankfully cancer is not very common in our family. I do have two distant aunts that were diagnosed with breast cancer, and one of them did pass from the disease. When I was first diagnosed a lot of people asked why me, but I never felt I had to question the man upstairs. I would just joke with my family and friends that I took one for the team and they were safe from cancer once more lol. I can honestly say that from the first moment I was told I was not really afraid, I was just very determined to beat it. My son was not even a year old at the time, there was no way I was going to leave him without putting up a good fight. Thankfully my body responsed very well to the chemo, I actually gained weight and had few side effects. At first I would feel guilty for getting sympathy as a cancer patient because I knew so many others patients have a really hard time or do not make it. I just try and stay positive now, it has opened my eyes to the fact that you really never know what tomorrow holds and I just have to be grateful that I was blessed with those around me and make the best of each situation and day.

Gaby
  • gpespinosa
    Options

Welcome to you too gpespinosa!
    Glad you we're able to find us too. Anything you need,anytime,someone will be here for you. Great group of people in a safe and non threatening place. Mary

Thank you Mary. As I read
    Thank you Mary. As I read everyones positive messages and inspirational stories I ask myself why I didnt find this site sooner. Although I have a very supportive family and group of friends, I sometimes feel like they dont REALLY understand what I go through and have been through. Its just great to know that there are great people on here that I can learn from and vent with. There is no such thing as too much love and support :)

Gaby
  • allmost60
    allmost60 Member Posts: 3,178 Member
    Options

The purpose will come to us one day
    I come from a big family; a couple of siblings, lots of nieces and nephews, and tons of cousins, aunts, and uncles, but thankfully cancer is not very common in our family. I do have two distant aunts that were diagnosed with breast cancer, and one of them did pass from the disease. When I was first diagnosed a lot of people asked why me, but I never felt I had to question the man upstairs. I would just joke with my family and friends that I took one for the team and they were safe from cancer once more lol. I can honestly say that from the first moment I was told I was not really afraid, I was just very determined to beat it. My son was not even a year old at the time, there was no way I was going to leave him without putting up a good fight. Thankfully my body responsed very well to the chemo, I actually gained weight and had few side effects. At first I would feel guilty for getting sympathy as a cancer patient because I knew so many others patients have a really hard time or do not make it. I just try and stay positive now, it has opened my eyes to the fact that you really never know what tomorrow holds and I just have to be grateful that I was blessed with those around me and make the best of each situation and day.

Gaby

Good attitude...
    Hi Gaby,
    You have a good attitude. When people would say "why you", (meaning me), I would say.."who then?" I could never wish my cancer from me to someone else. It just is, what it is, and it's a waste of time to sit and wonder why all of the time. In the beginning I think we all wondered "why me"...but once the battle gets started it's pointless.
    Take care, Love...Sue (FNHL-2-3A-6/10)
  • JoanieP
    JoanieP Member Posts: 573
    Options
    Gaby and TJ
    Welcome! Mary (who helped me in 2009 dx) and Sue have said it all. But I wantd you to know that I believe God makes something good out of bad. I am a teacher and a control person in my classroom but through cancer I have learned I am not in control . It is a wonderful freeing feeling in my personal life. I always loved my husband of 41 years but now I treasure him and our relationship keeps getting better. I started a support group in our church and these people mean the world to me. I would not give up the wonderful lessons I have learned . God is good.