PET scan questions

looking for advice;

I had a PET/CT scan in May. I went 12 hours without food and dringk prior to scan. I made it through 15 minutes of scan, then had liquid come up and got choked. This took around an hour to get over. Needless to say, I could not finish the scan. Now, we are uncertain how to handle future scans. Has anyone had this issue and how have you dealt with it?

Thanks for your time

chad
DX 11-12-2010
T2M3N0
Stage 2B
Ivor Lewis 03-28-2011

Comments

• Ericalynn
    Ericalynn Member Posts: 200
    Pet Scan
    Chad,
    I might be able to give you some advice but I have to ask a couple of questions. I am the Manager of an OP Imaging Center, @ the center we have a PET/CT Scanner. Why did you have to go 12 hours without food or drinking? We instruct patient not to eat after midnight. The patient can drink water (as much as they want) no other liquids but they can have water. Did you drink oral contrast before the scan? Is that the liquid that came up? In May you were only 2 months post OP so maybe you will not have a problem now that a few mores months have pasted. I would suggest that when you schedule the next PET/CT that you speak with the Technologist before the appointment. At our center the Technologist calls the patient and reviews the instruction and answers any questions the patient has. If your Imaging center does not call patients before exam, you can call and ask to speak with a technologist. Let me know a little more detail and I can try to help or I can speak with the Nuclear Medicine Technologist at my center. My husband is having a PET/CT on Monday (post Chemo/Rad before surgery).
    Erica
  • This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • preacherchad
    preacherchad Member Posts: 60
    My appointment was for 8am,
    My appointment was for 8am, I just did not drink or eat anything after 8 the night before. I think maybe I did drink too much contrast. I did speak with the dr. this week and we are going for the PET scan only so I will not have to drink the contrast. Not sure this is a wise decision, I know there are debates around the PET scan.
    They did tell me to take a small pillow to prop up with. Will the pillow hinder the test any? I do agree that since time has gone by, it will be a little better.

Thanks for all the responses and e-mails.

chad
  • My appointment was for 8am,
    My appointment was for 8am, I just did not drink or eat anything after 8 the night before. I think maybe I did drink too much contrast. I did speak with the dr. this week and we are going for the PET scan only so I will not have to drink the contrast. Not sure this is a wise decision, I know there are debates around the PET scan.
    They did tell me to take a small pillow to prop up with. Will the pillow hinder the test any? I do agree that since time has gone by, it will be a little better.

Thanks for all the responses and e-mails.

chad

This comment has been removed by the Moderator