Mixed news for us

Options
Laura23
Laura23 Member Posts: 81
Luis had his CAT scan today and we got the results of his PET scan as well. The good news is that the tumor shrunk quite a bit, but it is not gone. The bad news is that a new lymph node showed up on the scan. The lymph node is in the upper right chest area. It was outside the radiation field. The doctor wasn't sure if the node is cancerous or if is just inflammation from the radiation. In any case, he is planning on taking it out during the surgery and it will be sent to pathology. The good news is that Luis is still a candidate for surgery and he will have the MIE on August 30th.

I'm not quite sure what to think of this new lymph node involvement. I know that it probably means more chemo after surgery. Any one have a similar experience?

Thanks!
Laura
Wife to Luis
Dx 4/11/2011 T3N1M0

Comments

• paul61
    paul61 Member Posts: 1,391 Member
    Options
    I had one positive node found in post surgical pathology
    Laura,

I had one positive node found in the pathology screen after surgery. I had post operative chemo. I will not try to suggest that chemo post surgery is easy but it made me feel that I had done all I could do to insure I had found all the cancer cells. Of course for all of us survivors find scan time is a nervous time.

I am so glad to hear Luis is a candidate for surgery.

Best Regards,

Paul Adams
    McCormick, South Carolina

DX 10/22/2009 T2N1M0 Stage IIB
    12/03/2009 Ivor Lewis
    2/8 through 6/14/2010 Adjuvant Chemo Cisplatin, Epirubicin, 5 FU
    6/21/2010 CT Scan NED
    3/14/2011 CT Scan NED

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance!
  • NikiMo
    NikiMo Member Posts: 342
    Options
    Looking at the upside :)
    Hi Laura,

I know that this come as a mixed blessing to you and Luis, but please keep your thoughts positive and look at the bright side of this. He can have the surgery, that is GREAT news!! The surgeon we have met with who is an EC expert said that even if my husband had a clean pathology report after the surgery he would still suggest mop up chemo to our onc. He explained it as insurance, like Paul said you want to know you have done everything you can to beat this disease. I am happy for both of you that Luis is a surgical candidate, I am praying that the lymph node is inflammation.

Now you can breath a little easier as you prepare for surgery. Jeff and I are still holding our breath for the PET/CT...

Niki
    Wife of Jeff
    T2N1M0
  • annalan
    annalan Member Posts: 138
    Options
    Hi Laura
    It's such good news

Hi Laura
    It's such good news that Luis can have the
    MIE. my husband Alan, T3N1MO had the Ivor Lewis March 8th 2010 followed by Chemo and radium as they found 7 cancerous nodes. Yes it was tough, but everyone is different and Alan was 67 but he has been really well this past 6 months eating everything he wants just in smaller quantities. Hopefully Luis's recovery will be much quicker as he's having the MIE we never had that choice. I read the boards every day, only found them a few months ago when Alan was really well so wasn't able to ask any questions as our problems arose but know you will get loads of help and advice should you need it, just wish I'd found all these marvellous folks earlier.
    Ann (2)
  • json_2011
    json_2011 Member Posts: 100
    Options
    I sure will take this suject
    I sure will take this suject with me on down the road . Mother has met also to that area of detail. Thankyou for posting. I hope the surgrey goes through , and a good road to recovery!

Jason